UDFA Thread, best of the rest

textaz03

Vaughns.and suits are good pick ups. They were on my radar as 6th-7th.round guys. Suits has the makeup of a Cooper Rush able to just stick around as a back up option because he may not.be the quality player, but his football smarts on the.field keep him around.

Vaughns is a rangey guy that I think only ever missed one tackle in college. You can't teach the kind of game speed it takes to be in good position that often that you can wrap up and bring down almost every opportunity.

And @plan9misfit to be fair, these signings aren't always public knowledge from the moment they happen. It usually takes a couple days for them all to be announced. I'm pretty shocked no RB has been added either, but it's possible they just haven't been announced? I guess we will see man....that kid from Memphis should.have been priority #1

Edit - nope,.Blake Watson to Denver with a 25k signing bonus. Wtf Dallas....

Edited by Dallas94Ware

In listening to Will McClay last night in the post draft press conferences, the reason they didn't select a RB was because they were staying true to their board at any cost this year. He said needs always play a part, but they couldn't rationalize not selecting the guy sitting stop their board at positions of need to select a running back much further down their board.

that ultimately everytime they felt their pick coming up was ripe for the RB to be sitting near the top, they got picked and the next RB was too far down the board to justify passing on the guy on top.

So they're.going to say Marist Liufu was higher on their board than ... Blake Corrum? Braelen Allen? Jaylen Wright? Sorry I don't buy that one damn bit UNLESS they see something in Marist the rest of the world doesn't see. McClay did talk him up quite a bit. Maybe he steps in day 1 and is pro bowl all pro etc. that's the only way I see him being worth passing on Braelen Allen, Corrum, Wright and the rest. Not when the need was glaring and the options so solid. Maybe not full of star potential. But guys who can compete.and possibly improve the run game ...

Jerry never should have opened his mouth about Brooks. That they have him "high high high high" on their boards and about.being the best interview he's ever had in all his years. All he did was talk Carolina into trading ahead of Dallas select him. If.Jerry kept his mouth shut, we may have had the two best steals of the draft in Brooks at a late 2 and Beebe as a mid 3rd, with both players having the high end potential to be first round quality players.

I think the RB discussions in the war room went something like this:

"If we don't get Brooks because I have him high high high high high high high high on the draft board, then ignore the rest of the runners in the draft because we will just sign Zeke because YES he is capable of being RB1."

(If you haven't listened to the post draft press conferences you won't get most of the joke but will still get the point)

But really. Even if you didn't like any runners outside of Brooks. I'm sure a scout out in the field had to have something positive to say about one of these guys. With how sparse the RB room is you have to at least roll the dice in 5, 6 or 7 for a guy. It isn't like anyone you're selecting there is a lock by any means no matter how high you are on them. Kind of ridiculous you would even rather add a second tackle over a running back knowing Ball. Waltzko. Hoffman. Bass. All are on the depth chart already not to mention adding Guyton. 

Smh maybe they love them some Rico Dowdle and Deuce Vaughn. Or think Sean McVay made a mistake not keeping Royce Freeman. 

Ok I'll end my 3 post rant.

3 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Vaughns.and suits are good pick ups. They were on my radar as 6th-7th.round guys. Suits has the makeup of a Cooper Rush able to just stick around as a back up option because he may not.be the quality player, but his football smarts on the.field keep him around.

Vaughns is a rangey guy that I think only ever missed one tackle in college. You can't teach the kind of game speed it takes to be in good position that often that you can wrap up and bring down almost every opportunity.

And @plan9misfit to be fair, these signings aren't always public knowledge from the moment they happen. It usually takes a couple days for them all to be announced. I'm pretty shocked no RB has been added either, but it's possible they just haven't been announced? I guess we will see man....that kid from Memphis should.have been priority #1

Edit - nope,.Blake Watson to Denver with a 25k signing bonus. Wtf Dallas....

That’s b.s. UDFA signings are announced almost immediately. We simply didn’t place any effort in getting a RB until basically this morning where we signed a guy who couldn’t get on the field at either Stanford or Missouri.

5 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

In listening to Will McClay last night in the post draft press conferences, the reason they didn't select a RB was because they were staying true to their board at any cost this year. He said needs always play a part, but they couldn't rationalize not selecting the guy sitting stop their board at positions of need to select a running back much further down their board.

that ultimately everytime they felt their pick coming up was ripe for the RB to be sitting near the top, they got picked and the next RB was too far down the board to justify passing on the guy on top.

So they're.going to say Marist Liufu was higher on their board than ... Blake Corrum? Braelen Allen? Jaylen Wright? Sorry I don't buy that one damn bit UNLESS they see something in Marist the rest of the world doesn't see. McClay did talk him up quite a bit. Maybe he steps in day 1 and is pro bowl all pro etc. that's the only way I see him being worth passing on Braelen Allen, Corrum, Wright and the rest. Not when the need was glaring and the options so solid. Maybe not full of star potential. But guys who can compete.and possibly improve the run game ...

Jerry never should have opened his mouth about Brooks. That they have him "high high high high" on their boards and about.being the best interview he's ever had in all his years. All he did was talk Carolina into trading ahead of Dallas select him. If.Jerry kept his mouth shut, we may have had the two best steals of the draft in Brooks at a late 2 and Beebe as a mid 3rd, with both players having the high end potential to be first round quality players.

Jerry can’t help himself he has to be the center of attention. As far as Will Mclay he’s the fall guy for why they didn’t select a RB. If they didn’t select a RB with the 87 pick they must have known all the quality running backs would have been gone by the time they picked. That’s just poor draft managing. Anyone who believes they had the ND linebacker ahead of Corrum or Wright is either really gullible or an idiot. You tell the media the bull crap we are going by our board then the criticism will be less. Overall I thought the draft was solid much better then last season as more then likely they have 2 day one starters but could have had 3 with Wright or Corrum. 

5 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s b.s. UDFA signings are announced almost immediately. We simply didn’t place any effort in getting a RB until basically this morning where we signed a guy who couldn’t get on the field at either Stanford or Missouri.

The Boys' practice has been to announce all the UDFA signings in one press release instead of doing individual ones. They're usually one of the last teams to publicly share who they've signed. 

On 4/27/2024 at 7:37 PM, textaz03 said:

Another promising young tight end for the Cowboys: They have agreed to terms with former Minnesota TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, a person familiar with the deal said. He is 6-6, 260 pounds with a large catch radius. Dynamic inline option to compete for opportunity in 2024.

https://x.com/gehlkennfl/status/1784365159265272183?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

This kid has legit shot making the team. Nasty blocker soft big hands and descent athletic ability for his size. Ran a 4.77 40 which is probably why he wasn’t drafted.