Detroit selects at #189: Mekhi Wingo, DT LSU

General Tso

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

He is an under-sized 3T DT.  Based on what Brad Holmes said at the Day 3 Press Conference, he did spend a fair amount of time playing DE as well.  He might push someone off the roster but it is tough to say who that might be until his roles becomes more clear.

Could be a Cominsky replacement next year

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Love it. Nice backup to McNeill. True DT unlike Paschal/Cominsky. Finally pushes Onwuzurike off the roster? 

I probably had the right idea but not the right plan in order to do it. 

The Lions take positions of weakness and then just don't even mess around - they just blow it up and start again from scratch. 

• Look at the 2023 LB's - Campbell at #18 overall and JRM as a UFA
  • Look at the 2023 RB's - Montgomery as UFA; Gibbs at #12 overall
  • Look at the 2022 Edge - Hutchinson at #2 overall; Paschal in Round 2

I have a feeling this is more to have a similar player to Cominsky than it is McNeil/Onwuzurike.  I know people are excited to get Levi off the roster but he played well down the stretch and if he has a healthy offseason probably will play his final year of his rookie deal.  Wingo is a project and will need to do some work but he has some upside.  Being voted to wear 18 at LSU is a pretty big deal, especially for a transfer so he is a hard working leader respected by teammates which is likely what attracted us to him.  Hope he can make the roster but wouldn't be shocked to see him on the PS for a while.