53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

What sucks the most about preseason is that we don't get real good updates on injured players and when they are likely to return. 

It would be nice to know when to expect Morgan, Cooper and Lloyd back as a full go? Same goes for Valentine and Kraft. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Correct, every person doing a 53-roster prediction should have 2 players also starting the season on IR. The NFL expanded the rosters to 55 without officially expanding the rosters to 55. 

The below is why selecting those two players is difficult, but I do agree with your statement. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

What sucks the most about preseason is that we don't get real good updates on injured players and when they are likely to return. 

It would be nice to know when to expect Morgan, Cooper and Lloyd back as a full go? Same goes for Valentine and Kraft. 

So who do you think are trade candidates before the 53 roster cutdown?

Melton? Heath?

Jones? Tenuta? Telfort?

Cox? Mosby? Engabare?

A Johnson Jr? Ballentine?

Ford?

I can imagine us trying to trade for an OL - either guard or tackle, doesn't matter. We need depth at either one of those spots. We seem to be ok depth-wise in other positions.

I hadn't even considered the vested vet thing when it comes to the K battle.  I think Anders is going to eek this out unless he does something unusually bad over the next few days.

Acme: Keep an eye out for the Packers’ vested veterans at cutdowns

ESPN - If training camp ended after two weeks, Greg Joseph likely would have unseated Anders Carlson. Early on, Joseph couldn't miss. Lately, the veteran former Vikings kicker has struggled. After missing a 47-yarder wide right (by a lot) against the Broncos, he had a rough practice session on Tuesday when he missed three of his five kicks, including two in a row from 47 and 49 yards, and missed again from 44 on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Carlson has steadied himself after a shaky start. He made nine of his last 10 kicks over the final two practices of camp.

For the entire summer, Carlson has made 60 of 73 attempts (82.2%), while Joseph was 57-of-73 (78.1%).

Edited by Mazrimiv

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I hadn't even considered the vested vet thing.

Acme: Keep an eye out for the Packers’ vested veterans at cutdowns

That one is interesting to consider. Cut them and then wait until after week one to sign them again to avoid fully guaranteed salaries. I'm guessing if they remain on the roster on week one this means their base salaries becomes fully guaranteed.

Ballentine's base salary for example is more than Rochell and Valentine, Rochell is probably ahead of him in special teams, Valentine is definitely ahead of him at corner.

Dillard base salary is higher than all of the tackles on the roster, if my understanding is correct then that salary would become guaranteed if he on the roster in week one and he's a mediocre backup. I think we can survive for one week using Morgan as the swing tackle and then bring him back if we want.

Tyler Davis has a high base salary. If they think Sims can do the same job on offence and special teams then maybe he's out. My gut feeling he's gone. Whenever I read ST tweets Anderson, Sims, Welch, Rochell, E.Williams, DuBose etc are all getting mentioned. Davis name is not coming up and on top of that looking at the preseason games snap counts i'm starting to think perhaps he has lost his spot.

Welch has a high base salary, and so is Wilson who I assume does not qualify under this criteria. Will we keep both? Probably not.

I fully expect Joseph to be gone. Orzech is probably the only one in ACME list of players guaranteed to make the roster

Edited by Chili

10 hours ago, Chili said:

So who do you think are trade candidates before the 53 roster cutdown?

Melton? Heath?

Jones? Tenuta? Telfort?

Cox? Mosby? Engabare?

A Johnson Jr? Ballentine?

Ford?

I can imagine us trying to trade for an OL - either guard or tackle, doesn't matter. We need depth at either one of those spots. We seem to be ok depth-wise in other positions.

We're Packer fan(atic)s, we should be able to get, worst case scenario, a 3rd for any of them! A couple are worth 2nd round picks. 

Engabare is not getting traded, he's making the roster. 

Melton or Heath maybe worth a late round pick. The rest of them, nothing. A couple of them could be waiver claims though. 

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

That one is interesting to consider. Cut them and then wait until after week one to sign them again to avoid fully guaranteed salaries. I'm guessing this means their base salaries becomes fully guaranteed.

Ballentine's base salary for example is more than Rochell and Valentine, Rochell is probably ahead of him in special teams, Valentine is definitely ahead of him at corner.

Dillard base salary is higher than all of the tackles on the roster, if my understanding is correct then that salary would become guaranteed if he on the roster in week one and he's a mediocre backup. I think we can survive for one week using Morgan as the swing tackle and then bring him back if we want.

Tyler Davis has a high base salary. If they think Sims can do the same job on offence and special teams then maybe he's out. My gut feeling he's gone. Whenever I read ST tweets Anderson, Sims, Welch, Rochell, E.Williams, DuBose etc are all getting mentioned. Davis name is not coming up and on top of that looking at the preseason games snap counts i'm starting to think perhaps he has lost his spot.

Welch has a high base salary, and so is Wilson who I assume does not qualify under this criteria. Will we keep both? Probably not.

I fully expect Joseph to be gone. Orzech is probably the only one in ACME list of players guaranteed to make the roster

Royce Newman Stats, News and Video - G | NFL.com

Poster child! 

@Old Guy I hope Newman is gone too. However he doesn't qualify as the vested veteran as he only has 3 full seasons under his belt. This year would be his 4th. That means his contract for this year if we do choose to keep him is non-guaranteed.

I've re-read the article and Wilson will count as a vested veteran. That means both Welch and Wilson, if they are on the roster week one, will get fully guaranteed salary. That means other than Walker these two would be earning more than all the LBs that we're likely to keep on the roster. Bisaccia has a big decision to make, who does he want for his special teams?

I personally believe only one of them will make the roster for special teams. We still have McDuffie but If he's a starter then we will have Cooper and Hopper for ST work instead.

Posted (edited)

QB: Love - Pratt

RB: Jacobs - Wilson - (Lloyd to IR, Merriwether to practice squad. Dillon waived with injury settlement.) 

FB: Pearson

TE: Musgrave - Kraft - Sims

WR: Watson - Doubs - Reed - Wicks - Dubose - Melton- Heath

OL: Walker - Jenkins - Myers - Morgan - Tom - Rhyan - Monk - Dillard - (no idea)

Offense: 24

DE: Smith - Gary - Enagbare - LVN - Cox 

DT: Clarke - Wyatt - Slaton - Brooks - Wooden

LB: Walker - McDuffie - Hopper - Wilson - Welch (Cooper IR?) If not, Wilson or Welsh is gone)

CB: Alexander - Stokes - Valentine - Nixon - Rochelle - King 

S: McKinney - Williams - Bullard - Oladapo - AJJ 

Defense: 26

Specials: 

K: Carlson

P: Whelan

LS: Orzech

Specials: 3

Edited by Old Guy

OFFENCE [24]
[QB] Love | Clifford | Pratt [3]
[RB] Jacobs | Wilson | Lloyd/Dillon [3]
[TE] Musgrave | Kraft | Sims [3]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton | DuBose [6]
[OL] Morgan | Jenkins | Myers | Rhyan | Tom | Walker | Glover | Monk | Jennings [9]

DEFENCE [26]
[SAF] McKinney | Bullard | E.Williams | Oladapo | Anderson [5]
[CB] Alexander | Stokes | Valentine | Nixon | Ballentine | King | Rochell [7]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch [5]
[EDGE] Preston | Gary | Van Ness | Engabare | Wooden [5]
[DL] Clark | Wyatt | Slaton | Brooks [4]

SPECIAL [3]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan

IR [1]: Lloyd/Dillon
IR [2]: Will know more after the final preseason game.

I'm thinking either Lloyd or Dillon will go on IR, either way we will be keeping 3 RBs on the roster.

Of all the drafted players I think Glover is the most in danger of being cut. The Packers might go with one of the other tackles. I have kept him on because of his draft status and also i'm not a fan of the other tackles. However I will keep a close eye on the OL tonight and my feelings might change. Personally I don't think Glover has the feet to play tackle but he might make a good guard.

I really would like our UDFA streak to continue. I think Gute does too, it's a matter of pride, we develop our players. That's why Jennings is in. Also I think it's time to move on from Newman and give someone else the opportunity. I think Goforth has a sneaky shot of making the roster due to his age, cheap contract and possible ST usefulness. I currently don't have him in the final 53.

I can see the vested verteran contracts at the bottom of the roster being a big deal for us. There's number of guys if they remain on the roster week one would be earning at least $1m and as a result earn more than many of the starters ahead of them in the same position. It is also an opportunity for us to trim the fat and make some salary cap savings. Dillard is cut to avoid fully guaranteeing his base salary if he's on the roster for week one. However I can see us bringing him back afterwards. Cutting Tyler Davis allowed me to keep Ballentine but he's also a cut candidate too. One of Welch or Wilson will be cut. Wilson is older and has a slightly higher base salary, also Welch has been ever present on ST this off season and so i'm leaning towards Welch making the roster.

Wooden, Bullard and Oladapo are key pieces because they are multi position players thus saving roster spots to be used elsewhere. In my roster Wooden would act as our 5th DE and 5th DL, Bullard can play safety and nickle corner, Oladapo can play safety and linebacker. If I wanted I could cut Ballentine knowing that Bullard could be our "7th corner". I don't need to roster an extra linebacker because we have Oladapo. Wooden is the reason why Cox, Mosby and Ford does not make the roster.

Lets say I cut Ballentine and Clifford I would have room to add Goforth as our extra linebacker and Cox or Mosby as our extra EDGE, or perhaps add a fatty in Ford for our DL.

Edit: I had no idea we were in a middle of the game when I made this. I thought the game wasnt on until much later. Doh!

Edited by Chili

Kristian Welch (Iola, WI) made a case today. But adding him would likely mean 6 LB's. Hard to see that. Maybe Cooper starts season on IR. Kalen King looked good today. He has a chance of beating out Ballentine or Zayne Anderson.

MLF was asked in his PC about the kicker situation. Part of his answer was "We'll see what happens just around the league" If Carlson is the kicker, he's hanging by a very thin frayed thread.

The perceived battle between Heath and DuBose is as close as it could be.

10 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Kristian Welch (Iola, WI) made a case today. But adding him would likely mean 6 LB's. Hard to see that. Maybe Cooper starts season on IR. Kalen King looked good today. He has a chance of beating out Ballentine or Zayne Anderson.

MLF was asked in his PC about the kicker situation. Part of his answer was "We'll see what happens just around the league" If Carlson is the kicker, he's hanging by a very thin frayed thread.

The perceived battle between Heath and DuBose is as close as it could be.

As good as Welch looked, he was deep in the game making plays against mostly guys who won’t play on Sundays. It would be amazing if he made the 69 and continued to live out the dream of a whole lot of kids growning up in WI. We have some difficult decisions ahead but cutdowns and PS  will tell us what they think of some of these very deep guys. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, Chili said:

One of Welch or Wilson will be cut. Wilson is older and has a slightly higher base salary, also Welch has been ever present on ST this off season and so i'm leaning towards Welch making the roster.

I think Wilson has the team made. He's actually a starter in their base defense, and was a key special teamer last year. For Welch to make the team it looks to me like they either have to go with 6 LB's or put Cooper on IR. 

• Like 1