One Stop Shop for "Film Study": Jordan Morgan Edition

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, someone that is more versed in OL play than I am...  In the Utah clip, at 3:20, completion to McMillian, did Morgan screw up?  I don't really know what he was supposed to do there, if he did the right thing, or if he screwed up.  He didn't really block anything, and "his guy" got a QB hit.  But I am not 100% sure that was even his responsibility.

Super weird play. If you have two guys, you're supposed to take the inside man. The inside man took two steps forward and then dropped leaving the outside man with a free rush. Had he gone to the outside man immediately I'm assuming the inside man would have just continued his free rush. Looked like he was kinda in a no win situation there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, someone that is more versed in OL play than I am...  In the Utah clip, at 3:20, completion to McMillian, did Morgan screw up?  I don't really know what he was supposed to do there, if he did the right thing, or if he screwed up.  He didn't really block anything, and "his guy" got a QB hit.  But I am not 100% sure that was even his responsibility.

It wasn't his responsibility. You typically block inside to outside. He had to respect the threat of the blitzing linebacker. Just because the ILB doesn't blitz, doesn't mean you can ignore him. If Morgan had immediately fanned out, the ILB likely comes and has a shorter trip to the QB than the edge rusher. 

There was no screw up there. QB knew he had to get it out hot, and he got it out hot. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I just looked at it and was like, I don't think anything he did was wrong, but he didn't touch anyone, and there was what I would call delayed pressure.  I am not concerned about any issues there, I just didn't understand it.