One Stop Shop for "Film Study": Jordan Morgan Edition

First off, great post.

Through the first two games, I really like his pass protection.  I won't pretend to know if he had the perfect steps or anything, but whatever he was doing worked.  I didn't see any blatant missed holds, I don't think he lost more than a couple of reps.  I think there is a lot of room for improvement in run blocking, and his second level blocks when he pulled or there was a screen pass.  To my eyes, he was not doing a whole lot more than getting in the way on a lot of these plays.

Also, the right side of Arizona's line is laughed at by turnstiles.  At least a turnstile slows people down.  Do they still have bull fights in Spain? Someone missed their calling. 

You see the 27 bench reps show up in the Washington tape. Quicker hands earlier on, didn't like that he got backed up a bit later in the game when he's probably a bit gassed, but the upper body strength definitely shows; he doesn't even seem to be bothered by a hand in his face or and arm across the side of his head, he stays engaged. Even when Trice beats him, Fifita already sees a running lane and is off to the races.

20 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

You see the 27 bench reps show up in the Washington tape. Quicker hands earlier on, didn't like that he got backed up a bit later in the game when he's probably a bit gassed, but the upper body strength definitely shows; he doesn't even seem to be bothered by a hand in his face or and arm across the side of his head, he stays engaged. Even when Trice beats him, Fifita already sees a running lane and is off to the races.

Bench reps at 225 don't show upper body strength.

That's a muscular endurance lift for lineman and most prospects.

It's a work ethic measurement. 

On 4/28/2024 at 10:35 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

First off, great post.

Through the first two games, I really like his pass protection.  I won't pretend to know if he had the perfect steps or anything, but whatever he was doing worked.  I didn't see any blatant missed holds, I don't think he lost more than a couple of reps.  I think there is a lot of room for improvement in run blocking, and his second level blocks when he pulled or there was a screen pass.  To my eyes, he was not doing a whole lot more than getting in the way on a lot of these plays.

Also, the right side of Arizona's line is laughed at by turnstiles.  At least a turnstile slows people down.  Do they still have bull fights in Spain? Someone missed their calling. 

I actually had the opposite reaction regarding Arizona's RT. 

Might be a guy. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bench reps at 225 don't show upper body strength.

That's a muscular endurance lift for lineman and most prospects.

It's a work ethic measurement. 

Well it is but I’m not very confident that someone with 15 reps is going to have a lot of lead behind their punch but 25-30 reps I would feel good you’re going to get popped and then stay at arms length like he’s the Winter Soldier.

1 minute ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Well it is but I’m not very confident that someone with 15 reps is going to have a lot of lead behind their punch but 25-30 reps I would feel good you’re going to get popped and then stay at arms length like he’s the Winter Soldier.

Maybe if it was 405. 

Blake Corum and Joe Alt had the same 225 reps at 27 each. 

It's a work ethic test. 

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I actually had the opposite reaction regarding Arizona's RT. 

Might be a guy. 

Could be the guard or center.  While I was laser focused on Morgan, there was constant pressure from the other side.  Or maybe they overloaded the right side on blitzes.  I really only paid attention to Morgan's match-up and then the end of the play.  

So, someone that is more versed in OL play than I am...  In the Utah clip, at 3:20, completion to McMillian, did Morgan screw up?  I don't really know what he was supposed to do there, if he did the right thing, or if he screwed up.  He didn't really block anything, and "his guy" got a QB hit.  But I am not 100% sure that was even his responsibility.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Maybe if it was 405. 

Blake Corum and Joe Alt had the same 225 reps at 27 each. 

It's a work ethic test. 

Perfect..he's a damn hard worker and it showed.  Good to know that he's put in that so far.