Detroit Lions Rookie Camp

Rookie Camp started today and figured we could have discussions here instead of throughout in various threads. 

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/2024-detroit-lions-rookie-minicamp-roster

Here is the roster for the camp.  You will see the rookies and UDFA's at the top, then non-rookie participants with Betts and Brandon Joseph in that group.  Then at the bottom you have the tryout participants which include QBs Theo Day and Cade Peterson as well as fellow D2 standout from Hillsdale, RB Michael Herzog who set the Hillsdale college rushing record with 1300 yards and 21 TDs and was a finalist for the D2 version of the Heisman.  A couple of those guys have NFL experience in Harrison hand and Parker Hesse.  Not much exciting there other than maybe Tyren Dupree who was a small LB with 123 tackles last year for Liberty but could be a S at 215 lbs.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lions-coach-dan-campbell-to-miss-rookie-minicamp-due-to-personal-reasons-per-report/

Another interesting item, Dan Campbell is missing our rookie camp due to personal reasons.  AG and Ben Johnson are running the camp in his absence so hopefully nothing significant is wrong with DC.  Maybe its just a chance for the coordinators to get some leading experience but at the same time you want the rookies to be comfortable with the HC.  

• Like 1

I am intrigued to hear about Giovani Manu.  We know he is raw and has little to no high level experience but will be interesting to hear how he looks compared to the other rookies.  If he is lost its a bad sign but if he catches on quick and doesn't look out of place, maybe he could have more impact this year than expected.  I know this camp won't tell us much but if Mingo and Betts are eating him up, then it will be confirmed to have low expectations. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am intrigued to hear about Giovani Manu.  We know he is raw and has little to no high level experience but will be interesting to hear how he looks compared to the other rookies.  If he is lost its a bad sign but if he catches on quick and doesn't look out of place, maybe he could have more impact this year than expected.  I know this camp won't tell us much but if Mingo and Betts are eating him up, then it will be confirmed to have low expectations. 

Lions Wire had a decent observation about him.  I don't think we will know much with any certainty about Giovanni Manu until about halfway through training camp.  He has a steep learning curve.  Adjusting to NFL play speed is going to take some time along with other things he needs to clean up.   For me, what will be interesting to see is the pace at which he adjusts to the jump in competition.  If he improves at a steady pace between now and mid-way through training camp he will be in a pretty decent place.  One thing that can be confirmed after Day 1 of Rookie Camp:  His size and athleticism are pretty much as advertised.

Edited by Just Want A Title

TRYOUT GUYS

• QB Theo Day – Northern Iowa
  • QB Cade Peterson – Grand Valley State

• RB Michael Herzog – Hillsdale - 5'9, 200 lbs - Native of Windsor, ON

• WR Kaden Davis – Northwest Missouri State - 6'1, 190 lbs (UFA in 2022 - Time with Denver, Michigan Panthers and Arizona Cardinals)
  • WR Drew Dixon – Limestone - 6'4, 200 lbs
  • WR Devin Maddox – Toledo - 5'9, 176 lbs (Backup WR/Returner)

• TE Parker Hesse – Iowa - 6'3, 261 lbs - (2019 UDFA - Time with Tennessee and Atlanta)

• DL Josh Landry – Missouri - 6'3,287 lbs
  • DL T.J. Smith – Arkansas - 6'3 300 lbs (UDFA in 2020 - Time with LAC and MIN)
  • OLB Darryl Johnson – North Carolina A&T - 6'6, 253 lbs (2019 R7 of Buffalo - Time with Buffalo, Carolina, Seattle, San Fran)

• LB Tyren Dupree – Liberty - 6'2, 215 lbs

• CB Harrison Hand – Temple - 5'11, 185 lbs (2020 R5 of Minnesota -Time with Vikings, Giants, Bears)
  • CB Kyler McMichael – North Carolina - 6'0,202 lbs (2022 UDFA)
  • CB J.J. Ross – Western Illinois - 6'3, 195 lbs

• S Ayo Oyelola – 5'11, 213 LBS - University of Nottingham (UK) - Part of Jaguars International Player Program from 2020; played LB for Winnipeg in the CFL

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Lions Wire had a decent observation about him.  I don't think we will know much with any certainty about Giovanni Manu until about halfway through training camp.  He has a steep learning curve.  Adjusting to NFL play speed is going to take some time along with other things he needs to clean up.   For me, what will be interesting to see is the pace at which he adjusts to the jump in competition.  If he improves at a steady pace between now and mid-way through training camp he will be in a pretty decent place.  One thing that can be confirmed after Day 1 of Rookie Camp:  His size and athleticism are pretty much as advertised.

Yeah, I guess my intrigue with him at rookie camp is if maybe the learning curve isn't as steep as people think.  Yes he has played poor competition but the size athleticism is there and there was technique that Holmes mentioned he liked.  That stuff should translate to some extent.  Obviously he needs reps against better talent but again if those tools and show up early, there is hope he could be a viable backup OT this year.  Again I am not overly confident in that but sometimes just being a better and stronger athlete can make up for a lot of inexperience.  But I do agree seeing how quickly he picks things up and implements them will be interesting.  

These are the UDFA I see making roster. Rest are fodder at best 

Center- Eguakun

WR- Williams

Maybe:

Edge- Ukwu

K- Turner- Michigan 

No rookie tryouts enthuse me or have anything it takes for next level from anything I've seen. 

14 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

These are the UDFA I see making roster. Rest are fodder at best 

Center- Eguakun

WR- Williams

Maybe:

Edge- Ukwu

K- Turner- Michigan 

No rookie tryouts enthuse me or have anything it takes for next level from anything I've seen. 

Not sure if you are actually in Allen Park watching the players but one writer who was present mentioned Cade Peterson:

7-on-7 work

"Case Peterson had more success during 7-on-7 drills than Theo Day, as he successfully connected with tight end Parker Hesse twice and running back Michael Herzog during the first team portion.

Peterson is a tryout player worth keeping an eye on. The 2023 GLIAC Player of The Year has immense arm talent and also offers dual-threat capabilities. He threw for 7,231 yards and added 1,686 on the ground for the Lakers, who went 33-5 in his three seasons as a starter."

Detroit Lions 2024 NFL rookie minicamp observations (si.com)

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Not sure if you are actually in Allen Park watching the players but one writer who was present mentioned Cade Peterson:

7-on-7 work

"Case Peterson had more success during 7-on-7 drills than Theo Day, as he successfully connected with tight end Parker Hesse twice and running back Michael Herzog during the first team portion.

Peterson is a tryout player worth keeping an eye on. The 2023 GLIAC Player of The Year has immense arm talent and also offers dual-threat capabilities. He threw for 7,231 yards and added 1,686 on the ground for the Lakers, who went 33-5 in his three seasons as a starter."

Detroit Lions 2024 NFL rookie minicamp observations (si.com)

I'm sure he impressed against a bunch of players that won't be on NFL rosters. Doesn't mean much 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I'm sure he impressed against a bunch of players that won't be on NFL rosters. Doesn't mean much 

You know what doesn't mean much:  telling people that they know what is going on at Lions Rookie Mini Camp when they aren't even in the same state.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

You know what doesn't mean much:  telling people that they know what is going on at Lions Rookie Mini Camp when they aren't even in the same state.

I never claimed I was near camp. Not sure what you are even talking about. 

if referencing the comment about anything I've seen. We all watch games and highlights. So major reach on you trying to insulate I was near camp. Never said anything remotely close 

Edited by detfan782004

54 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw Jr will make their fair share of rookie mistakes but you can why they were drafted high.  Terrion Arnold is really fluid.  He doesn't seem to lose much speed when he flips his hips.  

He ended up chasing and then turned his head, located the ball and snatched it. I love it! Every CB we've had in forever would end up chasing then just run through the receiver for a nice PI.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

He ended up chasing and then turned his head, located the ball and snatched it. I love it! Every CB we've had in forever would end up chasing then just run through the receiver for a nice PI.

That is true.  Our CBs haven't had much skill with respect to locating the ball in the air.