TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

It has been a while, but they also don't put the boxing on TV either, at least not that I have seen in a long time.  It is disappointing how corrupt the sport is, because I LOVE boxing.  Doesn't even matter who it is, if boxing is on, it has at least 70% of my attention.  It is also disappointing that the biggest thing in boxing, currently, is a youtube clown that boxes MMA guys that are only slightly too young to be his father.  

• Like 1

It feels like boxing is in a weird position since it's a rare individual sport where an individual can make significant money as a performer.  Being an individual sport there's no such thing as "team loyalties" to make people buy in automatically, you might like a specific fighter but he's not fighting every month.  It also doesn't have the same culture of "make sure everybody else is doing things by the book" that you find in golf (and golf isn't doing so hot these days either.) 

It feels like "boxing needs to clean up its act" is a thing that just happens from time to time, but this time feels different in part because it's entwined partially with geopolitics (the people in charge of the IBA are close to Putin's inner circle, but they also just love combat sports in Russia- these people invented "Power Slap") so when someone does try to form a different governing body there's going to be a whole about that.

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It feels like boxing is in a weird position since it's a rare individual sport where an individual can make significant money as a performer.  Being an individual sport there's no such thing as "team loyalties" to make people buy in automatically, you might like a specific fighter but he's not fighting every month.  It also doesn't have the same culture of "make sure everybody else is doing things by the book" that you find in golf (and golf isn't doing so hot these days either.) 

It feels like "boxing needs to clean up its act" is a thing that just happens from time to time, but this time feels different in part because it's entwined partially with geopolitics (the people in charge of the IBA are close to Putin's inner circle, but they also just love combat sports in Russia- these people invented "Power Slap") so when someone does try to form a different governing body there's going to be a whole about that.

I would love to see a UFC style league for boxing.  But getting the top guys to split the pie and take less money is simply not going to happen.  I feel like a loss in boxing hurts a lot more than in the UFC, or greater MMA world.  

I also get the comparison to golf.  I never had a favorite golfer, I find the concept stupid.  I want to see someone defeat the course.  Likewise, in boxing, some fighters seem to have entertaining matches, but I want to see excellence, I don't really care which guy does it.  

On 8/11/2024 at 10:38 AM, ChaRisMa said:

Potato Power Rankings:

1. Baked Potato

2. Mashed 🥔 

3. Seasoned Baby Red

4. Fries

5. Tots 

6. Baby Potato

7. Sweet Potato

8. Potato Bun

9. Vegan Potato

Two things: 

- I feel like there are great varieties among fries (waffle, steak, crinkle, seasoned curly, etc) so that could be further subdivided

- aren't all potatoes vegan...at least until you put butter on them but aside from mashed you can easily sub olive oil in for the butter on most others

On 8/11/2024 at 9:27 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

My sister is a vegetarian, and my co-worker is vegan.  I try a lot of those veggie things and meat alternatives.  Some are pretty good, some are not.  I will say the impossible whopper tasted pretty much like a regular whopper, but it was saltier. My sister had some fake chicken nuggets that were pretty good too, I don't know what they were called. Personally, I prefer the real meat, but if someone doesn't, that doesn't bother me one bit.  Just let me know before hand so I can cook you something separate.

I dated a vegan for awhile. She used to get all weird about "oh, you really want turkey though!" while I was housing a "vegan holiday roast" (eh, it was fine) and this absolutely delicious vegan stuffing/brown gravy she'd make. 

When it comes down to it, I just like tasty food. Whether or not it contains a dead animal is pretty irrelevant to me. 

As far as subs - those veggie crumbles they make are fine if you're throwing them in meat sauce or burying them under cheese and salsa in a taco. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So they are whacking 2 sports and adding six more for the 2028 Olympics. Do we even play Cricket in the US? 

Team GB medallist says it would be 'absolute travesty' if sport is scrapped for Olympics (msn.com)

The US recently beat Pakistan in the Cricket World Cup. I’m pretty sure the vast majority are guys of S. Asian origins so grew up playing it elsewhere but it was still seen as a huge upset. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

So they are whacking 2 sports and adding six more for the 2028 Olympics. Do we even play Cricket in the US? 

Team GB medallist says it would be 'absolute travesty' if sport is scrapped for Olympics (msn.com)

I think one of the things that LA is emphasizing is "sports that they have the infrastructure for already".  And while it's possible that almost nobody in LA understands the rules to cricket, LA nonetheless, for some reason, has the best cricket grounds in the US (they're in Van Nuys).  So it's not going to cost a lot of extra money to run the event (they mostly need to build seating) and there are parts of the world that would be very excited to watch Olympic cricket.

Like they're adding Squash not because there's a great demand for it, but because LA has tons of Squash courts what with something like 7 universities in the city, including USC and UCLA.  LA's pitch to the IOC was largely "we don't really need to build that much" (which was basically the same as SLC's pitch for the 2034 Winter Games.)

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

The US recently beat Pakistan in the Cricket World Cup. I’m pretty sure the vast majority are guys of S. Asian origins so grew up playing it elsewhere but it was still seen as a huge upset. 

Some of the offshore guys I work with in India with were going on about this when it happened, and seemed disappointed that I didn't know (or care) about it.  For them it was a huge story.

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They should scrap sports like basketball, soccer, baseball, rugby, and tennis that already have massively popular leagues, and spotlight smaller sports.

So, diminish the TV ratings by half but ask advertisers to pay the going rate? 

15 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They should scrap sports like basketball, soccer, baseball, rugby, and tennis that already have massively popular leagues, and spotlight smaller sports.

The advent of streaming services sort of undermines this argument because, for all of the negative things about various streamers simply recreating cable television, we still end up during the Olympics where Peacock will let you watch every second of mixed doubles badminton or whatever.  So I'm not sure about the value in "spotlighting" smaller sports, because then it becomes somebody's job to explain to Mike Tirico the rules of Judo or Sportclimbing.

50 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The advent of streaming services sort of undermines this argument because, for all of the negative things about various streamers simply recreating cable television, we still end up during the Olympics where Peacock will let you watch every second of mixed doubles badminton or whatever.  So I'm not sure about the value in "spotlighting" smaller sports, because then it becomes somebody's job to explain to Mike Tirico the rules of Judo or Sportclimbing.

Yeah, the Olympics really benefited from what the streaming services can provide.  In this case it was Peacock, but the other would have done the same thing.  I found myself watching rowing and ping pong (sorry, table tennis) at various points and kind of enjoying it.

So this is the kind of stuff billionaires argue about?

A lawsuit against Mark Attanasio claims the billionaire owner of the Milwaukee Brewers has been stealing sand from Malibu's Broad Beach and carrying it to his home for his personal use on a construction project. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, Attanasio's next-door neighbor James Kohlberg -- son of global investor Jerome Kolberg -- claims Attanasio has been using excavators on a public natural resource, restricting public access to the beach while also exposing local marine life to the potentially hazardous byproducts of heavy machinery.