Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

KB needs to be extended this offseason.  Do it after Machado/Harper sign and use their deals as a framework for the FA years being bought out.  Bryant has the body type and tools to age tremendously, and they will obviously have the money going forward.  The improvements he has made since getting to the bigs are nothing short of amazing.  It's rare that guys can up their contact rate and lower their K rate much at all upon the promotion to the bigs.  Even if they do, it's usually at the expense of power.  KB has upped his contact rate dang near 15% since his rookie year, has dropped his K rate 11% (14% if using 2018 numbers), and is actually hitting the ball harder and slugging more than he's ever done.  Everything he's doing at the plate right now is potentially sustainable, and he's sitting at a 170 wRC+.  

Bryant came in with absurd expectations during his rookie year and homehow he actually has exceeded them.

He won Rookie of the Year, won MVP, helped end the drought, and arguably was better in 2017 than when he won MVP, and he’s only 26 years old. He has the ability to go down as the most important Cub in history. 

Back up a dump truck full of money to his house and just give him whatever he wants. Doesn’t matter. Make him a lifelong Cub.

56 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Bryant came in with absurd expectations during his rookie year and homehow he actually has exceeded them.

He won Rookie of the Year, won MVP, helped end the drought, and arguably was better in 2017 than when he won MVP, and he’s only 26 years old. He has the ability to go down as the most important Cub in history. 

Back up a dump truck full of money to his house and just give him whatever he wants. Doesn’t matter. Make him a lifelong Cub.

This.  And sign his BFF Harper, while they're at it.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Here’s a question that I’ve had for a while. Why did they let Maddux leave for Atlanta?

A combination of Maddux wanting to play for a winning team; the Cubs being terrible; and the Tribune ownership not wanting to pay what it would have taken to overcome Maddux's desire to play for a winning club.  

I’ve got tickets to the first two games vs Cleveland on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

Our trolling of the Cleveland team is incredible though. We have two giveaways; the first one is an umbrella, the second is a Star Wars shirt that says “Never tell me the odds”. Brilliant.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

I’ve got tickets to the first two games vs Cleveland on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

Our trolling of the Cleveland team is incredible though. We have two giveaways; the first one is an umbrella, the second is a Star Wars shirt that says “Never tell me the odds”. Brilliant.

I saw the umbrella giveaway.  That's fantastic.  

Rough game today.  2 stupid misplays directly resulted in 2 White Sox runs, and what do you know?  The Cubs lose by 2.  The babip gods were smiting the Cubs as well.  Just one of those days where you shake your head and hope to get it back tomorrow.

I'm gonna start losing it if Q doesn't start getting his **** together real soon.  He was effing terrible today.  Yes, the ump was spotty, and yes, the D wasn't great behind him either, but he was giving up loads of hard contact all over the place and was missing his spots all day.  

21 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Didn't Quintana have a pretty rough start with the Sox last year too? 

It wasn't great, but I don't think it was this bad.  A little bit of a rough start for Q was to be expected, after the longest season of his professional career.  Think our entire rotation to begin 2017.  But he's been terrible.  If the velocity is still down a bit in July, I'm officially going to panic a bit.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Great comeback win last night, but even more important was Darvish looking like Darvish.  Joe pulled him as a precaution due to a tight calf muscle, but he was looking really good before that.  

We got robbed Ty but like you said, good comeback by you guys. We need bullpen help, badly.

McCarthy has been terrible lately. So I wouldn’t be surprised if you guys light him up today.