Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

56 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I like the idea of an Eovaldi or Gausman  addition.

Apparently we’ve been in talks with the Orioles about Gausman and Bundy, in addition to the talks about getting Britton.

43 minutes ago, pwny said:

Apparently we’ve been in talks with the Orioles about Gausman and Bundy, in addition to the talks about getting Britton.

I saw that, which is why I mentioned Gausman specifically.  His velocity has been down a few ticks this year though, which is always concerning.  I think Bundy would be a great addition, but with the years of control he has left, the price would likely be prohibitive.  

10 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

What about Cole Hamels? Don't think it'd cost much to get him. 

Yeah, the price on Hamels would be next to nothing.  He has a high salary and hasn't been good.  His home/road splits are interesting, but I honestly would go in a different direction.  He's not a good candidate to "Verlander".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, the price on Hamels would be next to nothing.  He has a high salary and hasn't been good.  His home/road splits are interesting, but I honestly would go in a different direction.  He's not a good candidate to "Verlander".

I just want another SP that won't cost a ton or a LHRP. 

Hamels, Shields, Harvey, Liriano. 

I wish we would have been a little more aggressive in the offseason nabbing some bullpen arms. I don’t think we really have the prospects to get the number of arms we will actually need without letting go of a big leaguer. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I wish we would have been a little more aggressive in the offseason nabbing some bullpen arms. I don’t think we really have the prospects to get the number of arms we will actually need without letting go of a big leaguer. 

Same.  I keep looking at that Drew Smyly deal and get a little angry.  He could certainly end up being great for us in 2019, but his $5 million or whatever it is to rehab in 2018 could have brought in someone who could have helped this year.  Of course, the FO is dealing with about the worst possible scenario with the rotation as well.  If they were performing like they were expected to, the bullpen wouldn't have been used so heavily already.  

This has to be Chatwood's last start this year, right?  I can't take any more.  He kills the bullpen every time out, and his results in the 4-5 innings he actually pitches aren't good either.  

Also, time for another DL stint for Duensing.  Or DFA him.  Either one.  Neither of these guys should be on a championship caliber team like the Cubs.

• Like 1

KB being on the DL right now may be a blessing in disguise, as that means David Bote won't be dealt.  He's gonna be a really good utility guy for the Cubs for the next 6 years.  That was such a clutch 2-run bomb in the bottom of the 9th to tie it.  Rizz going back-to-back to win it was awesome, but the Bote HR was more impressive to me.  That kid just belongs.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

This has to be Chatwood's last start this year, right?  I can't take any more.  He kills the bullpen every time out, and his results in the 4-5 innings he actually pitches aren't good either.

I don’t know how they can shut him down now, honestly.

Who do they hand a game over to if he sits? Darvish is at least a week away from being ready ifeveryrhing goes perfectly from here out. Farrell was a disaster in his spot start. I’m not sure they’re ready to try out Underwood or whoever else from Iowa either. Unless this Cole Hamels deal goes through today, I think you have to put him back out there.

And even if they land Hamels, I’m almost inclined to get Monty back in the pen and some rest so he’s ready to go and just ride this out until Darvish is ready to go.

Just now, pwny said:

I don’t know how they can shut him down now, honestly.

Who do they hand a game over to if he sits? Darvish is at least a week away from being ready ifeveryrhing goes perfectly from here out. Farrell was a disaster in his spot start. Unless this Cole Hamels deal goes through today, I think you have to put him back out there.

And even if they land Hamels, I’m almost inclined to get Monty back in the pen and some rest so he’s ready to go and just ride this out until Darvish is ready to go.

This was what I was insinuating.  Not Hamels necessarily, but somebody acquired via trade.  Find some phantom injury and kick him to the minors on a rehab assignment to see if he can find some semblance of control down there.  

Montgomery can take a break in September, when hopefully Darvish is back.  Don't have that luxury right now.  If you absolutely had to rest Montgomery, I'd still roll the dice on a few Underwood or Tseng starts to see if they could get through 6 innings and save the pen a bit.  Farrell is a worse starter than either of those guys.  No idea why he was the one chosen for that spot start.

Love that we got Hamels and didn't have to give up much. Even if he isn't great, he can't be worse than Chatwood. 

I'm so over Chatwood, I'm not sure what we do with him. Even in games where he doesn't give up that many runs, he can't make it out of the 5th because he's walking so many people and throwing a ton of pitches. 

He's only made it through 6 IP 3 times and it was all in April. He's killing the pen. 

I would also ride out Monty until Darvish is back.