2024 Training Camp Thread

2 hours ago, Miblue said:

Bates signed a 2 year deal so he looks like the longterm guy for the short term

Brad Holmes has made a ton of good moves as GM.  However, his handling of the PK position is a real head-scratcher.  I know Dan Campbell is aggressive and doesn't like to kick FGs but this is the NFL.  You know that there are games where the difference between winning a big game and losing a big game will come down to a FG attempt.  They are preparing for a season where a deep playoff run is expected.  Do they really want to gamble the fate of this season on a cut-rate PK?  I am a huge Brad Holmes fan but this is one thing he isn't getting right.

3 hours ago, Miblue said:

Bates signed a 2 year deal so he looks like the longterm guy for the short term

A two year deal means nothing if there isn't substantial guaranteed money in year two. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Brad Holmes has made a ton of good moves as GM.  However, his handling of the PK position is a real head-scratcher.  I know Dan Campbell is aggressive and doesn't like to kick FGs but this is the NFL.  You know that there are games where the difference between winning a big game and losing a big game will come down to a FG attempt.  They are preparing for a season where a deep playoff run is expected.  Do they really want to gamble the fate of this season on a cut-rate PK?  I am a huge Brad Holmes fan but this is one thing he isn't getting right.

Badgley was a perfectly fine option.  His efficiency was fine last year and he hit every FG in the playoffs when it mattered.  I don't think we didn't attempt the FG because of not trusting the kicker, it was just how DC plays/calls games.  With him getting hurt, I am sure that we will look to bring someone else in.  I am sure we are watching cuts and figuring out options but I also don't think that K is a huge area of concern for the Lions intentionally.  If they dont have a good kicker, it makes it easier for DC to be more aggressive and go for it more.  If they strike gold with Bates, then great but I don't think that they really care too much as long as the guy can kick it off how they want and hopefully make extra points. 

22 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is still early but I was hoping to see more definitive progress from some our depth players.  The departure of Josh Reynolds created an opportunity for all the WRs to move up the depth chart.  DPJ hasn't really stepped up as expected.  Antoine Green has improved but has been a bit inconsistent.  He should be able to get into the WR4 slot but I am not sure if he has flashed enough to convince folks he can shoulder WR3 responsibilities at least part of the time.  The slow progress of Hendon Hooker is a little confounding.  Unless he really turns it around, I suspect the Lions are keeping Nate Sudfeld around.  Injuries have muddied the picture at backup OG.  The further we get into camp without Christian Mahagony, the less likely it is he will be able to contribute even as a back-up.  At this point, there is no way, the Lions can go into the season with Jake Bates as the PK.  He has a big leg but continues to be very inconsistent.  Hopefully, this stuff will get sorted out sooner rather than later.   

I think the team is higher on Raymond than the fans/media are.  I also think that Gibs sees more targets this year to take some of those targets.  And it is early and I think a lot of the talk at this point is to push guys harder.  I am not overly concerned right now about the WR3 spot and if it appears to be an issue as we get closer to the season, i am sure we will bring in someone who was cut or try some other free agent options. I wouldn't even be shocked if we traded for Reynolds himself since I think the Broncos will have depth with Franklin and Tim Patrick coming back.  

Hendon Hooker is expected to have some struggles.  This is his first camp after a long time off.  I want to see him take the reigns of the QB2 spot by the end of camp but I fully expected hm to struggle early.  I really don't want to have to waste a roster spot on Sudfeld but if it happens, it happens.  The hope is Hooker can step in and win games if Goff gets hurt but that really is a lofty expectation on a 3rd round pick who missed a year. 

Mahogany I know people have lofty expectations for given where he was rated pre-draft, but he dropped a lot in this draft and was passed over by many teams, including us who took Manu over him.  Yes I wish he was here learning as thats the only way to get better but I don't count on 6th round picks being even good backups right away.  

On a positive note, it sounds like we have seen a lot of progress from guys like Onwuzurike, Broderic Martin, Colby Sorsdal, our rookie CB's, the LB group etc.  So maybe the growth isn't exactly where you want it to be but it is happening around the team.  

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the team is higher on Raymond than the fans/media are.  I also think that Gibs sees more targets this year to take some of those targets.  And it is early and I think a lot of the talk at this point is to push guys harder.  I am not overly concerned right now about the WR3 spot and if it appears to be an issue as we get closer to the season, i am sure we will bring in someone who was cut or try some other free agent options. I wouldn't even be shocked if we traded for Reynolds himself since I think the Broncos will have depth with Franklin and Tim Patrick coming back.  

Hendon Hooker is expected to have some struggles.  This is his first camp after a long time off.  I want to see him take the reigns of the QB2 spot by the end of camp but I fully expected hm to struggle early.  I really don't want to have to waste a roster spot on Sudfeld but if it happens, it happens.  The hope is Hooker can step in and win games if Goff gets hurt but that really is a lofty expectation on a 3rd round pick who missed a year. 

Mahogany I know people have lofty expectations for given where he was rated pre-draft, but he dropped a lot in this draft and was passed over by many teams, including us who took Manu over him.  Yes I wish he was here learning as thats the only way to get better but I don't count on 6th round picks being even good backups right away.  

On a positive note, it sounds like we have seen a lot of progress from guys like Onwuzurike, Broderic Martin, Colby Sorsdal, our rookie CB's, the LB group etc.  So maybe the growth isn't exactly where you want it to be but it is happening around the team.  

The D-Line growth is very noticeable and I suspect a lot of that can be traced to Terrell Williams.  It is good to be talking about these problems with the depth positions.  I suspect Antoine Green will get things nailed down given the increase in playing time he got as the year wore on last year.  Colby Sorsdal seems to have a good handle the #3OT position.  I think the thing with Hendon Hooker is that while he knows the playbook, he is going through his first NFL training camp.  The finger dislocation hasn't helped but he needs more time and reps to get the mental processing down.  MCDC alluded to his need for "time on task".  The pre-season games are going to help him a lot.

34 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Emmanuel Mosley can't catch a break.  I feel bad for him:

Detroit Lions CB Emmanuel Moseley suffers torn pec - Pride Of Detroit

Sucks for him and I would fully expect him to retire.  Three years in a row of missing most of the season is tough to come back from.  Sucks for him and sucks for us.  I wasnt counting on him a lot early but sounds like we need some veteran help there because the Giants are supposedly eating up our DBs.  

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sucks for him and I would fully expect him to retire.  Three years in a row of missing most of the season is tough to come back from.  Sucks for him and sucks for us.  I wasnt counting on him a lot early but sounds like we need some veteran help there because the Giants are supposedly eating up our DBs.  

Yea if Daniel Jones is tearing them up this is not good.

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea if Daniel Jones is tearing them up this is not good.

The Giants passing game this year is going to be much better than it is expected to be right now. The receiving corps is legit.

14 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Giants passing game this year is going to be much better than it is expected to be right now. The receiving corps is legit.

And Detroit secondary is raw and inexperienced as a collective. So it'll be interesting to see how quickly they can learn 

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

And Detroit secondary is raw and inexperienced as a collective. So it'll be interesting to see how quickly they can learn 

I think they have a decent amount of experience to balance out their younger players.  Carlton Davis III and Amik Robertson are talented and experienced.  Some of the other depth CBs have shown improvement (Khalil Dorsey, Steven Gilmore, ect).  They just need some time.  

28 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think they have a decent amount of experience to balance out their younger players.  Carlton Davis III and Amik Robertson are talented and experienced.  Some of the other depth CBs have shown improvement (Khalil Dorsey, Steven Gilmore, ect).  They just need some time.  

Our DBs are super young.  Davis is really the only really experienced player.  Robertson has 2 years of playing with 4 years in the league but still pretty new and shouldn't be considered a veteran presence IMO.  Our S are all young and in changing roles, our #2 and 3 CBs are rookies and the rest are undrafted guys who barely played.  We have to count on Glenn and Townsend to be the experience but they cant be on the field.  

I know its early and I am typically a kool-aid guy but our DBs have still worried me prior to camp.  Rookies just don't often step in and become Sauce or Woolen.  They take time to develop and learn and that means we will be dealing with some big plays.  That being said we are used to that because Vildor was pretty awful last year, but unfortunately, he may still be on the roster with Mosely going down.