2024 Training Camp Thread

I think the real story with the Lions in 2024 will be the evolution of the defense.  Enough talent has been added to the defense to allow them to rank between 10-12 in most categories assuming they are relatively healthy.  I suspect a complimentary EDGE pass rush will be a bit by committee with James Houston, Marcus Davenport, Josh Pascal all chipping in.  Carlton Davis, Amik Robertson, Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw give us four very good CBs even if Arnold and Rakestraw have their rookie growing pains.  Brian Branch, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Kerby Joseph and Brandon Joseph seems to give the Lions a very good set of safeties.  I am not sold on Kerby Joseph after he regressed last year though.

The question that needs to be answered for me:  How will Aaron Glenn coach a defense with this level of talent?  There were some poor decisions made last year with respect to player usage.  The D-Line had two top-10 defenders in Aidan Hutchinson and Alim McNeill but struggled with consistency.  Not giving Melifonwu reps after playing well while Kerby Joseph was injured even when Kerby Joseph was playing poorly is another example.  LBs not disguising their blitzes.  I get that the CB play was bad but that doesn't explain these problems.  This is the year we find out how good Aaron Glenn really is as a Defensive Coordinator.  I think he is a very good coach and hope he has a lot of success this year.

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Lets clarify some things.  Our O-Line starters are not shaky.  We have problems getting consistent play from our depth.  The return of Christian Mahagony my help with that.  Our primary concern is WR#3.  With ARSB, Sam LaPorta and Jameson Williams around WR#3 is essentially a "security blanket".  MCDC himself said it could be filled by RB like say Sione Vaki who is already a good pass catcher.  Jahmyr Gibbs is going to feast in the passing game also so we will have plenty of options.  Jahmyr Gibbs injury doesn't seem to concern the coaching staff too much at this point.  

If we need a player, there is almost always a serviceable veteran OG and WR that becomes available as roster cut downs are made.  The depth problems are addressable with a minimum amount of pain.

Don't forget about Kalif Raymond.  I know he is not anyone's favorite WR but he is a solid dependable #3.  The biggest problem is his best spot is the same as ARSB's, in the slot.  But last year Raymond was one of the highest ranked on PFF for getting open and he doesn't drop the ball.  Yes a big bodied WR to work the outside would be ideal but a good OC should be able to utilize both ARSB and Raymond if nobody else is stepping up.  It is typically tough to find WRs that are cut that make an impact but I am hoping we can find something or make a trade for someone from a team that is WR heavy.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Don't forget about Kalif Raymond.  I know he is not anyone's favorite WR but he is a solid dependable #3.  The biggest problem is his best spot is the same as ARSB's, in the slot.  But last year Raymond was one of the highest ranked on PFF for getting open and he doesn't drop the ball.  Yes a big bodied WR to work the outside would be ideal but a good OC should be able to utilize both ARSB and Raymond if nobody else is stepping up.  It is typically tough to find WRs that are cut that make an impact but I am hoping we can find something or make a trade for someone from a team that is WR heavy.  

You know the talent level of the Lions has risen when the biggest issues under discussion is with depth players.  

• Like 1

I honestly just don't understand what the point of having Sudfeld around even is. Sure he might know the playbook but what does that matter if he can't execute it or even throw the @$%ing football? He straight up cannot throw the ball to a receiver. He fails at playing catch.

I just don't get it. You see guys like Tommy DeVito every year. I'd rather have half a Nick Mullens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I honestly just don't understand what the point of having Sudfeld around even is. Sure he might know the playbook but what does that matter if he can't execute it or even throw the @$%ing football? He straight up cannot throw the ball to a receiver. He fails at playing catch.

I just don't get it. You see guys like Tommy DeVito every year. I'd rather have half a Nick Mullens.

He’s god awful. Hendon clearly outplayed him. 

Vaki is a dog. 

williams/Kennedy/Davis each had highs and lows but none give me confidence behind ARSB/Jamo. I think we should look at adding a WR. 

No one on defense really stood out. Paschal had a nice sack, as did Ukwu, but I just have no vision of what our DL depth is going to look like. 

Knight, Calhoun, and Funk each had detrimental plays that hurt the team. 

Jake Bakes hooked his PAT slightly left but he’s been perfect on FGs including a 55 yarder and a 43 yard GW in KC. I think he solidified his spot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He’s god awful. Hendon clearly outplayed him. 

Vaki is a dog. 

williams/Kennedy/Davis each had highs and lows but none give me confidence behind ARSB/Jamo. I think we should look at adding a WR. 

No one on defense really stood out. Paschal had a nice sack, as did Ukwu, but I just have no vision of what our DL depth is going to look like. 

Knight, Calhoun, and Funk each had detrimental plays that hurt the team. 

Jake Bakes hooked his PAT slightly left but he’s been perfect on FGs including a 55 yarder and a 43 yard GW in KC. I think he solidified his spot. 

I think a lot of folks had their doubts about Sione Vaki as a RB but he is starting to flash.  He has a natural feel for catching passes out of the backfield.  Brodric Martin is showing solid progress.  Mitchell Agude is making the case for a roster spot with his two heads-up TFLs.

It is good to see progress with Hendon Hooker.  MCDC nailed when he said that Hendon Hooker just needs reps.  His mobility is a big asset.  He still has a ways to go but the improvement is noticeable.  I hope he plays as early and as much as possible in pre-season game #3.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have a question.  It seems like Colby Sorsdal has been playing worse as training camp progresses.  It seems like he hasn't taken the step forward that he seemed ready to take coming into the season.  Is he nursing an injury?  

I thought he played well. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I thought he played well. 

He started off training camp but has fell off noticeably.  The Chiefs game seemed up and down but he did a lot of George Karlaftis early but still.  Hopefully, he will find some consistency.

What was pretty cool to see is that Giovanni Manu played pretty much all of the second half.  He didn't look terrible so that is progress.  Those were some valuable reps for him.  I hope he sees a lot reps in pre-season game #3 also.

Brodric Martin has improved a lot also.  Much like with Giovanni Manu more reps will only help him get better.  They are doing a much better job of handling him this year than last year.  He should get a lot of reps in pre-season game 3 as well.

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something