2024 Training Camp Thread

On 8/17/2024 at 8:18 PM, Just Want A Title said:

It is good to see progress with Hendon Hooker.  MCDC nailed when he said that Hendon Hooker just needs reps.  His mobility is a big asset.  He still has a ways to go but the improvement is noticeable.  I hope he plays as early and as much as possible in pre-season game #3.

I hope the starters play one series against the Steelers 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I hear that as well.  There is plenty of time between now and the season opener.  Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Not really. Couple weeks is not much time.

If high ankle Sprain that's like 6-8 weeks fully recovered 

simple sprain can linger

think it's horrible timing 

21 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I hear that as well.  There is plenty of time between now and the season opener.  Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

I want to play people at their best. I hope he's going to be OK.

32 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Reports are he put his shoe back on and walked off the field under his own power. You don't often see people with major injuries put the shoe back on once it is off. 

42 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Not really. Couple weeks is not much time.

If high ankle Sprain that's like 6-8 weeks fully recovered 

simple sprain can linger

think it's horrible timing 

Uh, apparently the sky is not falling in Detroit.  Holy cow.

Penei Sewell injury update: Lions OT reportedly ‘good’ after scare - Pride Of Detroit

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Nobody claimed sky was falling. Can't argue that any injury at this time of year is bad timing.

but hey whatever 

He had a rolled ankle that is being characterized as a "minor injury"  MRI revealed nothing.

UPDATE: Penei Sewell injury news: Lions OT has minor ankle injury - Pride Of Detroit

Edited by Just Want A Title

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

He had a rolled ankle that is being characterized as a "minor injury"  MRI revealed nothing.

UPDATE: Penei Sewell injury news: Lions OT has minor ankle injury - Pride Of Detroit

The upshot of his injury and the ankle injury to Dan Skipper is that Colby Sorsdal and Giovanni Manu will get extra reps.  That is especially helpful with Manu.

Posted (edited)

It has been quite the ride for James Houston.  He provided a tremendous pass-rush spark as a rookie.  Then he got hurt last year.  I think the Lions have finally figured out that he is just a pass-rushing EDGE.  It is tough to get a read on whether or not that is enough to keep him on the roster.  He would probably have to have some other role on special teams to stick but it is tough to say.  Personally, I think he would find more success on a team that runs a 3-4 defense.

15 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It has been quite the ride for James Houston.  He provided a tremendous pass-rush spark as a rookie.  The he got hurt last year.  I think the Lions have finally figured out that he is just a pass-rushing EDGE.  IT is tough to get a read on whether or not that is enough to keep him on the roster.  He would probably have to have some other role on special teams to stick but it is tough to say.  Personally, I think he would find more success on a team that runs a 3-4 defense.

They just need to stop trying to make him a coverage LB and accept the fact that he’s a pure pass rusher. We don’t have that outside of Hutch so not sure why having a guy who fits one of our biggest needs is an issue. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

They just need to stop trying to make him a coverage LB and accept the fact that he’s a pure pass rusher. We don’t have that outside of Hutch so not sure why having a guy who fits one of our biggest needs is an issue. 

I agree with you on that.  They seemed to have finally figured that out but it sure took a while.  This is where AG sometimes makes some head-scratching moves with his players.  I think it is a similar situation with Ifeatu Melifonwu.  He was playing like one of the best safeties in the league in the last half of the year.  He started off training camp really well but his has supposedly fallen off.  Clearly, whatever was being done with Iffy worked really well last year.  Maybe they don't need to fix what is not broken.