Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Davis is being paid as 10th highest paid RG in NFL.   He missed multiple games and most of camp last year and didn't play well.

He then sat out OTAs and is already missing time.   His signing also forced moving Jenkins from right (where he was playing very well) to left (another move for him). 

His being out has already put you into Oline plan B territory.  Forcing you to take Bates off center where you want him and move him to guard.   Bates has little experience at C and those reps are vitally important.   

Al the merry go round shifting of positions has not helped build any contiunity.  It is showing as by most accounts our Dline has been dominating our Oline to date in camp.  And we don't have one of best Dlines in NFL.  Probably 3rd best in our division.  

I would say at moment it looks like a large miss to me.

The work they've done on IOL is all suspect.  Do any of the guys they've brought in look like you want them here next year? Jenkins is the best one, about as reliable as a Yugo, and was inherited.  We've had Davis, Lucas Patrick,  Bates (who apparently they never stopped trying to trade for with BUF?) Shelton and then a whole host of Dieter Eiselen types.  I really thought last year it made sense to draft your center, but they passed. This year seemed ripe to pay a good FA center or OG but we got the Bates/Shelton competition instead.  It's year 3 and I still don't think they have a single keeper.   The best move on the entire OL seems to be finding a great value LT, as a top 10 pick at RT should be a solid player at minimum.  

The Bears somehow turning into the same team every year with a strong D and a wobbly offense seems perennial, and a lot of that comes from the also-evergreen OL concerns that we seem to build in.  It's fair to question whether having put so many resources into lower value groups like LB and RB makes sense when the OL is unknown at best.  To do that with a highly drafted rookie under center is that "yikes" emoji personified. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

The work they've done on IOL is all suspect.  Do any of the guys they've brought in look like you want them here next year? Jenkins is the best one, about as reliable as a Yugo, and was inherited.  We've had Davis, Lucas Patrick,  Bates (who apparently they never stopped trying to trade for with BUF?) Shelton and then a whole host of Dieter Eiselen types.  I really thought last year it made sense to draft your center, but they passed. This year seemed ripe to pay a good FA center or OG but we got the Bates/Shelton competition instead.  It's year 3 and I still don't think they have a single keeper.   The best move on the entire OL seems to be finding a great value LT, as a top 10 pick at RT should be a solid player at minimum.  

The Bears somehow turning into the same team every year with a strong D and a wobbly offense seems perennial, and a lot of that comes from the also-evergreen OL concerns that we seem to build in.  It's fair to question whether having put so many resources into lower value groups like LB and RB makes sense when the OL is unknown at best.  To do that with a highly drafted rookie under center is that "yikes" emoji personified. 

Yup.

I still think Borom would have made a really good NFL guard if you moved him there from jump.

It's tough though.  To take a John Michael Schmitz or Juice Scruggs in 2023 you have to give up Gervon Dexter or Tyrique Stevenson.  You need those guys too.  

It goes back to where do you want to use your draft picks or invest in FA.  

You are right.  Better to save money at LB and RB then other positions generally speaking.  But hard to find quality guys in FA at need positions.   Everyone has OL needs and edge rusher needs.   LBs, Strong safeties and RBs are a dime a dozen unless they are exceptional.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Davis is being paid as 10th highest paid RG in NFL.   He missed multiple games and most of camp last year and didn't play well.

He then sat out OTAs and is already missing time.   His signing also forced moving Jenkins from right (where he was playing very well) to left (another move for him). 

His being out has already put you into Oline plan B territory.  Forcing you to take Bates off center where you want him and move him to guard.   Bates has little experience at C and those reps are vitally important.   

Al the merry go round shifting of positions has not helped build any contiunity.  It is showing as by most accounts our Dline has been dominating our Oline to date in camp.  And we don't have one of best Dlines in NFL.  Probably 3rd best in our division.  

I would say at moment it looks like a large miss to me.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one...for me he was a free agent signing who hasn't panned out exactly how we would like but that we have a clean out on after this year...we have seen far worse FA signings in the past.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We will have to agree to disagree on that one...for me he was a free agent signing who hasn't panned out exactly how we would like but that we have a clean out on after this year...we have seen far worse FA signings in the past.

What are we disagreeing on?

If a top FA doesn't work out as planned he is:

A) a miss.

B) not a miss.

It doesn't matter if something else was worse.  Something else is always worse.  

Again, he hasn't missed yet.  But as of 7-29-2024 things aren't looking great.

Edited by dll2000

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Hopefully his career starts and ends in Canton

Jesus Christ, I don’t want his career to end before it begins