Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did he struggle with these things last year?

I didn't see much struggle at all with jones last year. Ducking the head and dropping the hands occasionally but usually kept his opponent in check enough to get the pass off

what is his injury? I see the elbow brace but don't know the extent of the injury from what they are willing to tell us of course. At seasons end we might find out it was more severe than they reported as well

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did he struggle with these things last year?

Yes and no? He could one hand punch but it was erratic at best. He left his chest open a lot and exposed it to defenders but was strong and quick enough to get off of it.

4 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

BB says it all, the OL is the main issue

I think everyone expected to take some lumps with this O-line. Starting 3 1st or 2nd year players is wild, even with vet OGs. I think once they gel, they'll be a strong point on the team.

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think everyone expected to take some lumps with this O-line. Starting 3 1st or 2nd year players is wild, even with vet OGs. I think once they gel, they'll be a strong point on the team.

how long will it take for them to get settled and be the strong point? Injuriesd are already a problem, but if they get healthy by say week 3 from there on how long will it take?

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

how long will it take for them to get settled and be the strong point? Injuriesd are already a problem, but if they get healthy by say week 3 from there on how long will it take?

I feel like half the season is pretty optimistic, which is unfortunate because our schedule is brutal at the end. We may have a terrible record this year, but look like a pretty good team at the same time. If our line gets it together it’ll probably be in the teeth of a crazy stretch of games so even if we look good, we could get beat. 

• Like 1

The last two years, the OL was booty early on but got better in the 2nd half of the season.

If it happens a 3rd time, they need to move on from Pat Meyer.    I try to give him the benefit of the doubt because he didn't have much to work with early on, but when even veteran players seem to regress early and it takes them until mid-season to get back to form, that really signifies a coaching issue IMO.   Maybe he isnt the only problem, but he clearly isnt fixing it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

The last two years, the OL was booty early on but got better in the 2nd half of the season.

If it happens a 3rd time, they need to move on from Pat Meyer.    I try to give him the benefit of the doubt because he didn't have much to work with early on, but when even veteran players seem to regress early and it takes them until mid-season to get back to form, that really signifies a coaching issue IMO.   Maybe he isnt the only problem, but he clearly isnt fixing it.

Agreed on the issue of Meyer. I'm really of the opinion as well that the rules the last CBA put into offseason workouts and training camp has really caused OL play to suffer. There's less coaching time, less actual hitting, no two-a-days, so many practices where you can't just get these guys physical.

(I'll circle around to Meyer in a second)

So too many of these guys have to rely on things like working with Duke Manyweather and The OL summit to work on these things, and even at that it still lacks pads, physicality, working with a teammate, going against live reps.

In his first year Meyer made a comment that I think surmises his feelings of the above where he said that getting them to do it the way he wants doesn't work, so he allowed them to do what they worked on alone and bring it into the scheme. Its one of the few times I felt like I've heard a coach ever say basically that he's defeated with these rules and can't really coach.

I decided to take in some other teams preseason games and OL play in general is what I would deem 'ok' so far. A lot of guys getting beat by speed and power moves, but shutting down finesse moves. Watched the Chiefs specifically because they have a new LT. He had his moments, but overall the line looked good because 4-5 starters returned. And that's my general sense. I watched closely the OL of the Bears, Chargers (BTW Alt has been at RT), Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets. The changed parts all looked to have their good and bad moments, the lines that were more steady and didn't change much looked good.

Now, that's not to say I'm excusing everything and anything of the line. More just I feel with the amount of OL change we've had, there's going to be ramp up time to get it in a great place. So I agree that a 3rd year in a row that mid-season is late for that to happen, I would give any coach the leeway of week 2-3 with how many parts we changed and how young 3 key parts of our line is.

• Like 1

Maybe the new CBA doesn't allow the OL to get to where it would have, but would we complain if we had Philly's OL, or Munchak as OL coach? 

I know thats not happening this year, but Meyer needs results or his walking papers and move on.

10 hours ago, 43M said:

I don’t have a super strong take on Meyer either way, I probably lean towards him needing to be replaced due to the success we’ve seen from Green and Dotson since left (although Tomlin probably deserves some of the blame for having those guys playing out of position). 

But didn’t you make a post a week ago saying you weren’t panicking on the O-Line and that patience would be required this season? I agreed with you there… I am fully expecting it to be a bumpy ride to start. I said leading up to training camp that continuity on the line from day 1 would be absolutely critical and it’s been a complete mess so far. Fautanu missing valuable reps, wasting time with Herbig at center (sucks that he got injured but at least it is forcing the issue with Frazier), and flip flopping Broderick in addition to him clearly not being healthy right now. 

So while Meyer probably should be on the hot seat, I personally won’t be coming for his head if the O-Line isn’t on fire out of the gate. 

My take on the o-line is that I am still not panicking. Moore has actually really impressed me in the first two preseason games after I crapped on him all offseason. Enough to where I feel “ok” if he is the LT starter to begin the season. Frazier will be a massive upgrade over Cole from week 1. And I have faith Fautanu will be a significant upgrade from Chuks at least a few weeks into the season. So I think we will be fine, but patience will definitely be required.

Here's the dynamic with our QB situation: Russell Wilson will be the safer & more efficient player whereas Justin Field will be the big play threat who exposes you to wow plays and unfortunately turnovers.

Mike Tomlin is a "woah" rather than "sic em" type coach, which in my opinion,  favors Justin Fields as the best solution at QB.

Regarding Broderick Jones:

He is a marvelous athletic OT who moves well but lacks refinement at the position. That was evident at Georgia and nothing has changed since he's been a Steelers player. You can blame the coach but eventually the player must show promise and Jones is/has been struggling to do just that. Now you see why the team is in no rush to move him to LT.

• Like 1

https://x.com/bepryor/status/1825940893242687986?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

This may feel like nothing to some, but I found this to be an interesting quote from Arthur Smith. It highlights to me that he was just not cut out to be a head coach. Being the “CEO” of the team, making tough roster decisions, and handling the media were all tough for Smith in Atlanta. Hopefully going back to just focusing on coaching offense will be really beneficial to him.

• Like 1