Week 2 Preseason: New York Giants @ Houston Texans

Acgott

iq0r8euadklodit8xysn.jpg

Starters are supposed to play for both teams. Even if Nabers doesn’t play, hoping to see some consistency from the offense and not 3 and out. On defense not getting blown up. Pretty simple. Stay healthy!

• Players I'm not expecting to play based on their workload today: RB Tyrone Tracy (ankle), TE Lawrence Cager (groin), OL Jon Runyan (shoulder), LB Dyontae Johnson (ankle), CB Cor'Dale Flott (quad), CB Dru Phillips (ankle) and S Gervarrius Owens (knee). TE Tyree Jackson TBD after leaving practice early today.

https://x.com/dduggan21/status/1824150775401988104?s=61&t=tus03feDbRZ35nlWoHPPOA

Secondary is going to have some issues. Hopefully we can get pressure on Stroud and Banks looks decent. Texans seemed to have a poor OL so getting consistent pressure is important.

I was only able to watch the first two drives and then highlights. The decision making has always been bad and late for Jones. He still doesn’t have the full strength/trust on his deep ball, which has been an issue in the past.

15 hours ago, Acgott said:

I was only able to watch the first two drives and then highlights. The decision making has always been bad and late for Jones. He still doesn’t have the full strength/trust on his deep ball, which has been an issue in the past.

The win against the vikings in 2022 could be the worst thing to happen to this franchise in quite some time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

The win against the vikings in 2022 could be the worst thing to happen to this franchise in quite some time.

You have a very short term memory of the Giants last 10 years. The Jones contract definitely hurt the Giants for two years on some cap space, but didn’t prevent them from being top 10 in offseason spending, attempting to trade up for a QB, nor will it prevent them from drafting a QB next year, even in a projected “weak” class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

You have a very short term memory of the Giants last 10 years. The Jones contract definitely hurt the Giants for two years on some cap space, but didn’t prevent them from being top 10 in offseason spending, attempting to trade up for a QB, nor will it prevent them from drafting a QB next year, even in a projected “weak” class.

The issue comes from them deciding to NOT take a QB in either of the last 2 draft classes, and now when they'll finally be confronted with the inevitably that DJ isn't the guy like the entire league has known for some time, this draft class is probably going to be terrible for QBs.

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

The issue comes from them deciding to NOT take a QB in either of the last 2 draft classes, and now when they'll finally be confronted with the inevitably that DJ isn't the guy like the entire league has known for some time, this draft class is probably going to be terrible for QBs.

I would have liked them to take a chance on a developmental QB in rounds 5-7, but was there a move to make in 2023 or 2024? The only one I possibly seeing would have been drafting Levis in the first round of 2023.

18 hours ago, Acgott said:

I would have liked them to take a chance on a developmental QB in rounds 5-7, but was there a move to make in 2023 or 2024? The only one I possibly seeing would have been drafting Levis in the first round of 2023.

This is it.. in a weird way it's almost comforting that they're not pulling the trigger and convincing themselves that these QBs are going to turn into something. Even if Levis hits in Tennessee, statistically speaking that is not a good bet. The Jones contract isn't even bad. As of today, he's 14th in AAV among QBs. Yes, his 2024 cap hit is among the highest but they're out of it if they want after this year. And without getting the guy in the draft, you're looking for a middle of the road QB like... daniel jones. saying he is the right QB for now is not saying he's your franchise guy. I hate to burst some bubbles but if they went after a Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppolo, etc. we'd be in just as bad a spot. So where exactly are they getting their QBOTF whether they won that MIN game or not?

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

This is it.. in a weird way it's almost comforting that they're not pulling the trigger and convincing themselves that these QBs are going to turn into something. Even if Levis hits in Tennessee, statistically speaking that is not a good bet. The Jones contract isn't even bad. As of today, he's 14th in AAV among QBs. Yes, his 2024 cap hit is among the highest but they're out of it if they want after this year. And without getting the guy in the draft, you're looking for a middle of the road QB like... daniel jones. saying he is the right QB for now is not saying he's your franchise guy. I hate to burst some bubbles but if they went after a Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppolo, etc. we'd be in just as bad a spot. So where exactly are they getting their QBOTF whether they won that MIN game or not?

No, the Jones contract was definitely bad. We were hoping he would build off 2022 and average, and it went in the totally different way. The Giants have been unlucky, but they have made bad decisions as well. Jones will be off the team next year, and we can figure out a new plan when we get there.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

No, the Jones contract was definitely bad. We were hoping he would build off 2022 and average, and it went in the totally different way. The Giants have been unlucky, but they have made bad decisions as well. Jones will be off the team next year, and we can figure out a new plan when we get there.

How has his contract negatively impacted them? I understand he didn't perform last year. But how is that contract making the Giants worse?

20 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

How has his contract negatively impacted them? I understand he didn't perform last year. But how is that contract making the Giants worse?

He has a $48M cap hit that we can’t maneuver for at best average QB play. Even when he is off the team next year, it still be a $22M cap hit. That’s money we desperately could have used, even just $10M of it.

The second pick didn't bother me much. It was a shot downfield against a really good CB. DJ needs to flatten it out and lead Hyatt on that. But it was a good read and I appreciate the aggressiveness. The first pick I just don't even know what to say about it. A rookie QB makes that throw and you would still struggle to defend it. He does something like that in the regular season and it needs to be Davito time. 

20 hours ago, Acgott said:

He has a $48M cap hit that we can’t maneuver for at best average QB play. Even when he is off the team next year, it still be a $22M cap hit. That’s money we desperately could have used, even just $10M of it.

And that's going to make them better how? Who's playing QB?