AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's a high end backup and compensated like it. Nobody sees him as a long term starter. There is no future with him. He's shown enough in 5 years to know his ceiling. He struggles with accuracy - did you watch the final game of the season last year? And misses a 

I like Minshew and will gladly root for him, but you're being blindly optimistic with no real reason to be. 

Coming from a friend of mine who is longtime Colts fan -"You'll become frustrated with how many balls he either misses or misreads. It's frustrating how many yards he leaves on the field week to week."

That's why he's gotten passed over for starting jobs.

I don’t think Minshew is a franchise QB. I do think he’s good enough to hold the seat warm and guide the team to the playoffs 

He’s basically like Jeff Garcia , Jeff Blake , Fitzpatrick or could be this years Baker Mayfield. He’s not the best you can do at QB but also not the worst.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

I don’t think Minshew is a franchise QB. I do think he’s good enough to hold the seat warm and guide the team to the playoffs 

He’s basically like Jeff Garcia , Jeff Blake , Fitzpatrick or could be this years Baker Mayfield. He’s not the best you can do at QB but also not the worst.

That’s an insult to Jeff Garcia. That dude was a baller for the skillset he had. Was always a Top 15-18 QB when he played. Minshew and AOC are not Top 28 QB’s. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

That’s an insult to Jeff Garcia. That dude was a baller for the skillset he had. Was always a Top 15-18 QB when he played. Minshew and AOC are not Top 28 QB’s. 

I agree with this completely.  Jeff Garcia was scrappy as **** and was a baller considering his skillset.  Very underrated Qb and you're also right about Minchew and AOC being bums.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is a straight homer.  

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with this completely.  Jeff Garcia was scrappy as **** and was a baller considering his skillset.  Very underrated Qb and you're also right about Minchew and AOC being bums.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is a straight homer.  

Minshew/AOC are nice fringe starters/premium backups, and would rank anywhere from 29-35.

There’s still a SMALL chance AOC might be good… sophomore season. But he likely isn’t. 

Minshew, we know exactly who he is. 

50 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Top 15 to 18? For like a 2 year span Maybe. Garcia was average QB who had 2 very good season throwing possible the best WR tandem ever in Rice and Owen. Other than that he was bottom tier starter/backup and last 9 years

47 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What? Jeff Garcia had two very good years and after that he was an average QB starting QB that became a backup fast 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Baker was a former #1 overall pick that had played at a high level prior to last season. Going into his 4th year there were a lot of people arguing that he was a top 10 QB. Not to mention he went to the perfect situation with great weapons and one of the best play callers in football. Minshew will have talent around him but it's hard to have faith in Getsy. 

Realistically outside of maybe Darnold and Brissett, what other starting QB is worse than Minshew?

40 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Top 15 to 18? For like a 2 year span Maybe. Garcia was average QB who had 2 very good season throwing possible the best WR tandem ever in Rice and Owen. Other than that he was bottom tier starter/backup and last 9 years

What? Jeff Garcia had two very good years and after that he was an average QB starting QB that became a backup fast 

He was an undrafted FA signing and played pretty damn good football before injuries slowed him down which ultimately plagued the 2nd half of his career.  He played at a high level and won some playoffs games if I remember correctly. H was undersized but gritty and smart with the football.  Being gritty and undersized took a toll on his health. Great value for an UDFA...

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Bum is kinda pushing it esp fresh off getting the colts in the playoffs and a pro bowl selection. Y’all kinda a lil over dramatic in here. Some of y’all forget the #’s your fav old qb put up during our last playoffs appearance. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

100%

In today's NFL, Jeff Garcia probably has a handful of more seasons close to his 2001-2022 campaigns. At 37-38 he was still reasonably effective for Tampa, despite them having very little offensive talent to work with. Garcia's overall numbers and career suffered due more to Cleveland amd Detroit being wastelands. I still think Philadelphia would've done better to keep him after 2006 than McNabb, who left soon after anyway, and rode Garcia until drafting someone/Vick coming along. 

I'm not saying Garcia was the greatest, he had his limitations sure, but he could've helmed plenty of teams to the playoffs, whereas Minshew needs to be carried there by his teammates. 

16 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

He was a 4x Pro Bowler when it actually meant something and played in a far tougher league. 

SF goofed by letting him go and their many myriad of issues until Harbaugh came to town. 

Detroit and Cleveland sucked. 

He was arguably better in Philadelphia than McNabb was, less controversial, and safer with the ball. 

Tampa didn't give him zilch to work with and we all know how Chucky drafts. He still got them to the playoffs and performed at least as well as Minshew ever has Minshew ever has, despite being undersized and closer to 40 than 35. 

I feel like you're underestimating how solid Garcia actually was saying he was a bottom tier starter/backup. At the very least, missing a good deal of context. 

35 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Practicing vs the same defense that destroyed patty cakes chefs on Xmas builds character imo

Well if that's the case, the Cowboys back ups shouldn't be making you look so pedestrian then right?

Raider fans going to hold onto one win against the Chiefs forever.... Chiefs will beat them 9 out of 10 times, but that one time man..... we're gonna use that as an example for everything! 

WE BEAT THE CHIEFS ON CHRISTMAS!!!!

3pne4m.png?a478944

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Well if that's the case, the Cowboys back ups shouldn't be making you look so pedestrian then right?

Raider fans going to hold onto one win against the Chiefs forever.... Chiefs will beat them 9 out of 10 times, but that one time man..... we're gonna use that as an example for everything! 

WE BEAT THE CHIEFS ON CHRISTMAS!!!!

3pne4m.png?a478944

Meh. I can only imagine the pictures you’d post if we lost to kc on Xmas esp if we got blew out

• Like 1

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh. I can only imagine the pictures you’d post if we lost to kc on Xmas esp if we got blew out

I remember there were several posters before the game that thought Big red was destroy us on Natl TV and that our other wins vs other teams were flukes

Our defense had good showings vs the bests offenses in the NFL