All things OL

warfelg

As I think back on Jones last year, I was worried that he always let pass rushers into his body too early.  I think he is trying to learn the punch (because he needs to) and it is taking time.  he is not confident in it yet and is trying to just put his hand on the rusher rather than punching.  Hopefully, he will learn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

The article is Essex saying because he can’t punch he shouldn’t be protecting the blindside. It’s more hindered by the injury than anything. I posted it because it’s an experience NFL OL talking about the impact of the injury. 

To be fair I just read the quote, didn’t even realize there was an article attached to it.

86ing the line coach would be a start…too much titty fighting with no technique. He wants to teach them to be tough, lol, and be overwhelmed by linemen that have actually studied and learned. 

Broderick Jones is not a left tackle in the NFL. It’s as simple as that. But, now, it seems they should question whether he should even be the starter on the right while he’s less than healthy. Troy should start opposite Moore before competing with him upon Jones’ return to good health IMO. I hear all the ‘tackles should be able to handle both sides in todays nfl’ stuff, but the left side remains important given that the majority of QBs are right handed. Maybe tackles shouldn’t know a difference, but the QBs will feel it, often without seeing it coming. In the first preseason game people commented as if Troy played worse than Broderick, but I saw the latter get beat much more quickly and decisively. It proved out against the Bills, got even uglier for him. In terms of the top three tackles being on the field right now, Jones is our third best option, whatever the reason. He has regressed.  

Is it possible to work out an injury settlement with Nate Herbig at this point and to save on some cap space? He is a free agent, I believe, after the season. Seems kind of slimy, but what would be the parameters with something like this situation? 

6 hours ago, rlon said:

Is it possible to work out an injury settlement with Nate Herbig at this point and to save on some cap space? He is a free agent, I believe, after the season. Seems kind of slimy, but what would be the parameters with something like this situation? 

slimy , but it's the nfl so thats 'just business'.

Look how they handled DeCastro and remember how good he was for them.

6 hours ago, rlon said:

What's the point? We have plenty of cap space right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

What's the point? We have plenty of cap space right now. 

Point would be I'm curious and it would lead to even more space...some good veterans may become available...

Just now, rlon said:

Point would be I'm curious and it would lead to even more space...some good veterans may become available...

We have the space. Typically we go into a season with $6-8mm in space for reasons like that. We have $14.5mm right now. And a Cam or Muth deal likely increases the space. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The Mason McCormack pick is looking better and better now. He looked solid in his C snaps against the Lions. His versatility is going to be really handy this year. 

Daniels is only 26 years old, it’s a shame how out of control the guard salaries currently are. McCormick could have been the successor at left guard in a couple seasons, while continuing to back up center next year. He’ll need to start at RG next year, however and because we are unlikely to keep Daniels, so hopefully he is ready by then. The Steelers will hence be drafting both IOL and an OT again next year, yet they won’t have to do so early, that’s the good news.

52 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Okay, we can all at least agree that attempting the Dan Moore RT piece 2 weeks before the season starts is Sillytown, right? 

I have no faith in this coaching staff in terms of handling OL or QB. 

• Like 1