Commanders trade Jahan Dotson to Eagles

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Well it looks like he is viewed that way by the front office because they only gave him a 1 year deal.  I swear this is the same as rivera.  1 year deals.  Comp pick game.  Prove it.  Then we have to overpay to keep em.  So he is duct tape and next year we will be revamping this WR core.

This off-season is pretty similar to Rivera's first one. 

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Well it looks like he is viewed that way by the front office because they only gave him a 1 year deal.  I swear this is the same as rivera.  1 year deals.  Comp pick game.  Prove it.  Then we have to overpay to keep em.  So he is duct tape and next year we will be revamping this WR core.

If you succeed in the draft game, you have 8-11 roster spots every year getting churned, which is about 20% of your roster.  I’m perfectly fine with this, because we will carry over 9 guys from this year, and then draft another 8-11.  

You probably only end up re-signing a handful of the 1 year prove it guys anyway.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don't think so, Lavar.

Quinn would have to be acting as GM also & need to sign 8 more players from Carolina, (I mean Dallas) scheme fits be damned.

Adam Peters & Quinn are in a collaborative effort, to build the best team they can for this year & beyond.

Which explains many of the 1-year deals. So when some leave & get a gazillion dollars somewhere else, we will finally get compensatory picks.( Which we normally  never get) On top of the regular draft picks we have.

Then, continue drafting well, with all those picks & fill in the holes that way.

You can't fix everything in 1 off season.

Specially after the debacle Ron left us with.

We're fortunate guys that weren't drafted by Rivera are still here & want to stay like Terry & Johnathan Allen. Our good players.

Otherwise, I'd be creating a thread saying....

Ace - "This is how we can win 5 games"

Edited by aceinthehouse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't know if Noah is better, he's never even had a Jahan type season but he has flashed in spurts in both Dallas & Houston so maybe it all comes together for him. 

I definitely agree that Jahan just wasn't the type of WR they were looking for on the outside and OZ was quicker and a better option on the inside plus OZ can play special teams and he's a better blocker.

Noah is going to be an asset as a possession WR and especially as a blocker on the edge for BRob, Eckler & Jayden.

What do you mean he's never had a Jahan type season? He produced the same as Jahan the last two seasons (in fewer games).

We agree on the rest though

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Noah Brown is a JAG. He’s not better than Dotson and suggesting so is just pure craziness. 

Call me crazy then. Because the games I've watched both play, I've seen Noah take over games. I really haven't seen Jahan do that (*)

• Can get separation
  • Is bigger (which is what the coaches want)
  • Better/more willing blocker (crucial for run plays)
  • Can absolutely shred your defense (saw him do it twice last year)

The knock on Brown is that he's been around the league for awhile. But his last two seasons mirror Jahan's and he produced about the same in like 6 or 7 fewer games.

(*) and I don't say this to bash Jahan. I think if he can fix his drop issues and start getting separation he can be a good/great WR in the league. But he just hasn't lived up to his draft status so far and we were smart to sell high.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If you succeed in the draft game, you have 8-11 roster spots every year getting churned, which is about 20% of your roster.  I’m perfectly fine with this, because we will carry over 9 guys from this year, and then draft another 8-11.  

You probably only end up re-signing a handful of the 1 year prove it guys anyway.  

Exactly. And if they do well for you and sign elsewhere, it helps start the compensatory pick engine.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Call me crazy then. Because the games I've watched both play, I've seen Noah take over games. I really haven't seen Jahan do that (*)

• Can get separation

The knock on Brown is that he's been around the league for awhile. But his last two seasons mirror Jahan's and he produced about the same in like 6 or 7 fewer games.

(*) and I don't say this to bash Jahan. I think if he can fix his drop issues and start getting separation he can be a good/great WR in the league. But he just hasn't lived up to his draft status so far and we were smart to sell high.

This is a valid and balanced take.  I do think the Eagles are a team that can unlock the potential though, and it’s clear he was not happy here.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

• Can get separation

Noah Brown played with Dak Prescott and CJ Stroud and Dotson played in two horrible offenses with a bunch of different QBs in two years. I was probably the least happy around here about the Dotson pick but come on. Nobody here genuinely believes Noah Brown is better than Dotson do they? Really?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Noah Brown played with Dak Prescott and CJ Stroud and Dotson played in two horrible offenses with a bunch of different QBs in two years. I was probably the least happy around here about the Dotson pick but come on. Nobody here genuinely believes Noah Brown is better than Dotson do they? Really?

Other than offering something different……no.  And I’ll also say that the ceiling for Dotson is way higher.  This could be a trade that we still end up losing.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Dotson has more upside, to be sure. I'm simply going by what I've seen out of both players at the present time. And at present time, I would take Brown in this offense.

We might still lose this trade as @naptownskinsfan suggests. But I'm not crying about the Dotson trade like many are in Commanders nation (not saying you are btw, just looking at the overreaction to the trade)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Nah, it is better. Peters took the possible franchise QB when he was able to.

Peters upgraded the LB position immensely.

Peters upgraded the RB position with an established versatile pro & didn't force a college Wr into a RB while cutting the Hall of Fame Adrian Peterson. 😬🤦‍♂️

Peters upgraded the TE position with an established pro - not a prayer - and drafted what looks like a future starting TE in R2.

Peters addressed the slot CB issue which has been an issue for 6 years since we traded Kendall Fuller to the Chiefs for Alex Smith that was not addressed by Rivera or his predecessors.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

What do you mean he's never had a Jahan type season? He produced the same as Jahan the last two seasons (in fewer games).

We agree on the rest though

Noah had 7 TDs in 12 games before?

Just now, turtle28 said:

Noah had 7 TDs in 12 games before?

@naptownskinsfanand I have already addressed this. Going by TDs is misleading. 

For example - 1991 Redskins. We had Gerald Riggs and Earnest Byner. 

Byner ran for 1048 yards to Rigg's 248.

Which was the better RB? 

Byner. 

Even though Riggs had 11 TDs to Byner's 5. 

With Dotson, he's been the #2 WR both seasons and Brown has been the #3 option while playing in 6 fewer games.

18 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

• Can get separation

In Jahan’s first ever game vs the Jags Jahan had 2 TDs & in the Giants home game in 2022 as a rookie were two games that stand out where Dotson played extremely well. Vs the NYG in primetime he had 4 catches, 105 yards & a TD.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

@naptownskinsfanand I have already addressed this. Going by TDs is misleading. 

For example - 1991 Redskins. We had Gerald Riggs and Earnest Byner. 

Byner ran for 1048 yards to Rigg's 248.

Which was the better RB? 

Byner. 

Even though Riggs had 11 TDs to Byner's 5. 

With Dotson, he's been the #2 WR both seasons and Brown has been the #3 option while playing in 6 fewer games.

That’s an awful comparison and you know it.