53 Man Roster Cuts & Discussion.

GW21

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's weird to me though, because that would suggest they want him to come back and play  lol 

Not really. It means we want to have the option to bring him back if we need him. Designating him before the 53 would mean we want him to come back because it cuts into the 8 you can bring back. Putting him on IR now just means we can bring him back not that we will.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

Question: Six rookies made the final 53 (for now) including Bethune, which is cool to see - is this a sign of potentially a really good draft, a lack of depth, or both? Neither?

I don't think so. I'd be more shocked if a guy taken in the first five rounds didn't make the roster under this regime. I don't believe that they have ever straight up cut a guy his rookie year after taking him that early. Latu and Williams have gotten the IR treatment, but the highest person ever straight up cut was Kaden Smith (I think) 

I do not believe that Bethune has a future at linebacker in the league, but could be a strong, core special teamer type. I think it would have made more sense to keep Kingston, but Bethune plays hard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Not really. It means we want to have the option to bring him back if we need him. Designating him before the 53 would mean we want him to come back because it cuts into the 8 you can bring back. Putting him on IR now just means we can bring him back not that we will.

That's true. 

Kind of just would have preferred to keep Ya Sin, I think, but I get what you're going for here. 

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

Keeping 7 WRs and 2 TEs makes me believe the BA for Sinnot and a 2nd trade I have proposed multiple times could come to fruition.  

I think it's just insurance given the injury issues. 

Pearsall and Jennings both have been hurt and in and out of the practices. Aiyuk not playing. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's true. 

Kind of just would have preferred to keep Ya Sin, I think, but I get what you're going for here. 

Yeah but to me it doesn't feel like a Ya Sin-Thomas decision because if it was that there is no way Thomas should be the one you keep. But you can't do the IR thing with Ya Sin and i think a guy like Saubert will be back tomorrow. That leaves you with Thomas as a option week 12 instead of Ya Sin who probably would be on another roster at that point.

Plus Ya Sin is a vested Vet so he might also be one of those agreed to bring back once we put Thomas on IR. Not a decision i would have made that way but i can understand the process.

Edited by Justone2

Hope Mordecai, Kingston & Graham pass waivers to our PS. A lot of other guys id like to keep on the PS but nothing id lose sleep over 

Keeping Ambry over Ya Sin is a head scratcher to me 

Also I know I haven’t been paying as much attention this offseason but I have no idea who Sam Okuayinonu is 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right, but my point. He can't function in the backfield (Willis). Specific to the blocking based on pre-season. I don't care if it's traditional I, off set or pro set. I'm not sure why you care? Does not seem like this is in his bag. Juice is a part time tight end, part time full back. If Willis can't handle the backfield portion of that, what he does as an actual tight end probably isn't good enough because I don't think he's a strong blocker there either, even if it got better (hard to say). 

**edit** 

Unless you think his ineptitude back there is specific to a traditional I set? 

Can you show me a pro set formation used in an NFL game in the last ten years?  

I think fullbacks are gone, and the 2nd tight end plays the wing back roll. 

Traditional I and offset I are are also not used in today's NFL.  The wing is where these guys play on almost all the snaps. 

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Hope Mordecai, Kingston & Graham pass waivers to our PS. A lot of other guys id like to keep on the PS but nothing id lose sleep over 

Keeping Ambry over Ya Sin is a head scratcher to me 

Also I know I haven’t been paying as much attention this offseason but I have no idea who Sam Okuayinonu is 

Yeah, no idea why they are keeping Thomas over Ya-sin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Can you show me a pro set formation used in an NFL game in the last ten years?  

Not the point - I was literally just using it as an example of a formation  my dude lol

6 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think fullbacks are gone, and the 2nd tight end plays the wing back roll. 

Traditional I and offset I are are also not used in today's NFL.  The wing is where these guys play on almost all the snaps. 

Well, I guess he just sucked from everywhere then. Tough break for Willis 

Just now, WhyAmIHere said:

baffling. we keep doing this with Ambry, over and over. 

I think @Justone2 probably has the right of it. He's basically a stash option. I'd assume that we see Womack or Ya-Sin back on the roster by Thursday unless we are just running 5 corners

36 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

lol @ the OL and DL depth.  trying not to overreact, but this doesn't feel good at all. 

Odds are the team won't win the super bowl and it really didn't matter what those positions looked like. It's just hard to win super bowls and parity is a *****.

Does that make you feel better? 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not the point - I was literally just using it as an example of a formation  my dude lol

Well, I guess he just sucked from everywhere then. Tough break for Willis 

It goes back to looking at what players actually do for the current team, not how well they can run the triple option.  The formation examples are from like 1996.  

If he sucks at playing FB, it doesn't matter, because we don't actually use a FB anymore, we have a wing player. Its different.  I would hope the team cut him for blocking poorly on the wing, not for not being able to do something we don't do anyway.