2024 GDT Week #2 1-0 Steelers Visit the 0-1 Broncos

Who will be the starting QB this week?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starting QB this week?

• Russell Wilson. If he's healthy, he's the man.
    • Justin Fields. Russ won't be ready and Justin will be the man.
    • Justin Fields. The offense is better in his hands.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

My guess is against a more competent offense Art would have had a counter to this. Or at least I hope so anyway. I think they chose to just keep running in to those pressures and bleed the clock because they knew Denver couldn’t move the ball on us.

Jones' run blocking looks fine but he keeps dropping his head in pass blocking ( like many Georgia Olinemen) and is getting manhandled because of it.  I can't tell if he is overwelmed trying to do technique or his lack of technique is catching up with him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

My guess is against a more competent offense Art would have had a counter to this. Or at least I hope so anyway. I think they chose to just keep running in to those pressures and bleed the clock because they knew Denver couldn’t move the ball on us.

And likely Tomlin wanted that. Basically they need to prove they can move it against us before we worry about trying to do more. Personally I don't mind this. Lets let you make a mistake rather than us making the mistakes.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Jones' run blocking looks fine but he keeps dropping his head in pass blocking ( like many Georgia Olinemen) and is getting manhandled because of it.  I can't tell if he is overwelmed trying to do technique or his lack of technique is catching up with him.

I think it's both. He's thinking too much because you see him on his heels and hesitating before his punches. NFL DL are smart enough to see that an use that lack of polish and skill to attack. He doesn't start with his elbows in and hands at shoulders, so he needs to flap and retract to punch, which is where the hesitation is, and that's what pass rushers are seeing and pushing in on.

Personally my thoughts right now on Jones is bench him. Call up Dylan Cook for a few weeks. Let Cook worry about backing up RT. Let Jones get every rep he can at LT. Clean up technique, let the elbow rest. And after the bye week, Jones is the starting LT and he's got a half season to show growth and improvement.

• Like 1

My concern is that the Broncos put out a recipe for how to shut down the offense. Play single high and play press man on the outside. Shade coverage towards Pickens and make someone else get open. And with Jefferson/Roman Wilson as WR2 idk if we have an answer for that regardless of who is playing QB. 

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

My concern is that the Broncos put out a recipe for how to shut down the offense. Play single high and play press man on the outside. Shade coverage towards Pickens and make someone else get open. And with Jefferson/Roman Wilson as WR2 idk if we have an answer for that regardless of who is playing QB. 

You mean the same playbook for the last 3 years?  Over load vs the run and double GP.  I think the Steelers are in for a rude awakening next week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You mean the same playbook for the last 3 years?  Over load vs the run and double GP.  I think the Steelers are in for a rude awakening next week.

Fair. 

But idk if the Chargers at home are going to be who gives them a rude awakening. They struggled to put up 22 against the Raiders and scored 26 against the worst defense in the league. It will be another slow, ugly, run heavy game next week. Also Herbert was limping around badly after the game after taking a nasty shot and is getting an MRI. 

My point is I think we can follow the same recipe and win ugly against the Chargers if we win the TO battle again. And the Chargers do not have a Surtain level corner to put on Pickens. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Fair. 

But idk if the Chargers at home are going to be who gives them a rude awakening. They struggled to put up 22 against the Raiders and scored 26 against the worst defense in the league. It will be another slow, ugly, run heavy game next week. Also Herbert was limping around badly after the game after taking a nasty shot and is getting an MRI. 

My point is I think we can follow the same recipe and win ugly against the Chargers if we win the TO battle again. And the Chargers do not have a Surtain level corner to put on Pickens. 

I definitely think we can, and should if they are playing their backup QB.

I’ll give my big issue - our run game isn’t clicking. 3.5 YPC for Warren and Harris individually (Fields is pulling up the team average). One explosive run in both games of over 10 yards. While we aren’t “behind the sticks” so to speak it’s not exactly humming. And that’s with the deep ball shots happening and clicking. Both RB’s PFF scores are 61 (Najee) and 55 (Warren).

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’ll give my big issue - our run game isn’t clicking. 3.5 YPC for Warren and Harris individually (Fields is pulling up the team average). One explosive run in both games of over 10 yards. While we aren’t “behind the sticks” so to speak it’s not exactly humming. And that’s with the deep ball shots happening and clicking. Both RB’s PFF scores are 61 (Najee) and 55 (Warren).

I think the running game will improve as the season goes on and the O-Line gels. Warren to me still doesn’t look 100%. He got brought down by a few tackles yesterday that I think he normally breaks. Najee physically looks like he has more burst than last year. But I agree, we do need more out of both of them. 

Let’s get Seumalo back and let Frazier and Fautanu get some more starts under their belt and the rest of the line to get adjusted to Smith’s run scheme. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I see your point. I think relying on Fields to constantly make plays on third and longs is not a smart move. He's been good and careful thus far, but we haven't really played a good team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Personally my thoughts right now on Jones is bench him. Call up Dylan Cook for a few weeks. Let Cook worry about backing up RT. Let Jones get every rep he can at LT. Clean up technique, let the elbow rest. And after the bye week, Jones is the starting LT and he's got a half season to show growth and improvement.

I would think this pretty much has to be the approach going forward and for now...

There are a couple of things that really impressed me in this game. The first is the play calling.I understand that the Execution was not good enough, But in my opinion, the play calling not Only is far Different from a that ofCanada it is greatly improved.

The other is justin fields, The one thing I really want him to Do differently when he decides to run he just needs to commit and do it. Where a few run where he could have in my opinion, taking up some serious yardage or at least the first down where he hesitated and instead it was basically a minimal or failed play. He also needs to do a little bit better of giving his wide receivers a chance on those deep balls. But beyond those 2 things in my opinion I thought he played really well yesterday.

Edited by VigilantZombie
  • Like 1