Week 3 MNF! (1-1) Commanders at (0-2) Bengals - 9/23 at 8:15 on ABC / Line CIN -8/OU 48.5

MikeT14

Feelings on the game?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Feelings on the game?

• Bengals cover the 8 point spread
    • Commanders cover the 8 point spread but lose
    • Commanders win outright

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2024 at 12:00 AM

On 9/25/2024 at 11:58 AM, offbyone said:

I think that is a good explanation regarding Forbes.  But jeez Cooper Dejean, Koolaid were all available and bandaid free agents like Gillmore, Fuller, Darby, etc. were there too.  It was a major mistake.  Now they are stuck debating if they can rationalize signing Xavien Howard.

I don’t know that Dejean or Koolaid would make a huge difference right now but I would expect them to down the line. Dejean was injured in the offseason, he has no stats for the Eagles except one punt return from last game. He got to play some when Maddox got hurt, but he’s the Eagles #4 CB. Of course that doesn’t mean that if he was here and healthy that he wouldn’t be #2 but it’s impossible to know that.

Kool-Aid McKinstry is also the Saints #3 or 4 CB. He did start vs Dallas and had 5 tackles with a tackle for loss in the game.

Fuller didn’t want to come back here and be part of a rebuild. 

I don’t know why we didn’t sign Gilmore. My guess if that Peters/Quinn wanted to see the young guys play to evaluate them this season so they didn’t sign any vets who would be better than them for sure. We can disagree with the motive all we want but they are trying to develop/build young players for the future and that’s why some of these guys are starting and they didn’t sign vet FAs who’d definitely beat them out to start.

Howard had foot surgery, it’s why the Dolphins cut him. I assume he isn’t 100% and that’s why no one is even working him out let alone signing him.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know that Dejean or Koolaid would make a huge difference right now but I would expect them to down the line. Dejean was injured in the offseason, he has no stats for the Eagles except one out return from last game. He got to play some when Maddox got hurt, but he’s the Eagles #4 CB. Of course that doesn’t mean that if he was here and healthy that he wouldn’t be #2 but it’s impossible to know that.

Kool-Aid McKinstry is also the Saints #3 or 4 CB. He did start vs Dallas and had 5 tackles with a tackle for loss in the game.

Fuller didn’t want to come back here and be part of a rebuild. 

I don’t know why we didn’t sign Gilmore. My guess if that Peters/Quinn wanted to see the young guys play to evaluate them this season so they didn’t sign any vets who would be better than them for sure. We can disagree with the motive all we want but they are trying to develop/build young players for the future and that’s why some of these guys are starting and they didn’t sign vet FAs who’d definitely beat them out to start.

Howard had foot surgery, it’s why the Dolphins cut him. I assume he isn’t 100% and that’s why no one is even working him out let alone signing him.

Kool-Aid was hurt that is why he has been slow coming on.  Eagles are loaded at cb or Dejean would be starting.  IMO they are both better than every CB on our roster including sanristil.

Why they didn't bring in a vet like Gilmore or Fuller or someone who could at least start is beyond me.  Bad judgment is the only reason I can imagine.  I get wanting to give Forbes another year, we didn't have to sign an elite guy, but we could have signed someone.  I mean what a joke that the only guy they signed is Mike Davis and acted like that was a move.  Hopefully, some scheme changes and adjustments can at least improve the result.  But you better start scouting corner backs because we are going to need 2 starters next year.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Kool-Aid was hurt that is why he has been slow coming on.  Eagles are loaded at cb or Dejean would be starting.  IMO they are both better than every CB on our roster including sanristil.

Why they didn't bring in a vet like Gilmore or Fuller or someone who could at least start is beyond me.  Bad judgment is the only reason I can imagine.  I get wanting to give Forbes another year, we didn't have to sign an elite guy, but we could have signed someone.  I mean what a joke that the only guy they signed is Mike Davis and acted like that was a move.  Hopefully, some scheme changes and adjustments can at least improve the result.  But you better start scouting corner backs because we are going to need 2 starters next year.

I'm sure they are already scouting CBs in next year's draft and looking at what FAs are available and scouting them as well. 

Can't change what a they didn't do in March or April. Most of us wanted a different player/position taken in R2 instead of Newton but that's who they took. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Did you all catch this? Not sure if someone posted it and I missed it (if so my apologies).

Look at Jeremy McNichols pick up the blitz.

Go here and play the video. At 0:03 he has his man lifted off the ground and then he torques him to the ground after that.

https://www.commanders.com/video/can-t-miss-play-daniels-27-yard-td-heave-to-mclaurin-silences-cincy-crowd-in-crunch-time

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 6:05 AM, turtle28 said:

Yes we are running a 4-2-5. 

If we run a 3-3-5 what’s different? I mean I know schematically it would put an extra LB on the field like for ex. Jamin or Chin play LB while Forrest or a 3rd CB are the 5th DB or, Flower could be considered the 3rd LB but I don't think it really changes that much. You'd just he calling Fowler or Jamin a LB vs a DE. They're still mostly going to be rushing the passer.

I also don't see any way they change the scheme of their defense mid-season, that would only make things worse. These defenders have been learning this scheme for 5 to 6 months. Most of these defenders are still learning and gelling in this defense. We do have 6 new starters on defense and many times 7 new guys out there at any given time. That's a lot of change from one year to the next. I don't think we are talented enough on that side of the ball to sniff being a top 10 D but I do hope they play better as a unit as the months go on this season.

I mean it’s as clear as day to me that Forrest needs to be starting at SS but I doubt they make the move to bench Chinn unless he's truly awful in the coming months and as inconsistent as he is, he still has a few good to great plays a game, of course, Forrest would make those plays plus the routine ones more often IMO.

A couple of things are obvious to me:

1. Not paying Curl was a mistake. There's no way we should've paid Curl to be around one of the top paid safeties in the NFL but something around $10 million would’ve made sense. Our back 7 misses his ability to cover TEs & just his leadership and communication skills on the back end. He was the QB of the secondary since his rookie season.

2. Not truly upgrading one of the outside CB positions after losing Fuller was a major mistake by Peters/Quinn. I just don't know what they were thinking? They couldn't have looked at last year's corners and thought yeah if we just draft or sign a few slot CBs we're good there. 🤷🏼‍♂️

My only thought on that is they see this year as a prove-it year for most of these guys on both sides of the ball, including Forbes & St. Juste so they just wanted to see them start and play and then evaluate them totally before making a decision on what to do moving forward at CB next offseason. 

2. Not retaining Tez or Chase is hurting this defense. Say what you want about Chase being inconsistent and taking some plays off, but the guy at least made blocking schemes account for him and put pressure on opposing QBs even if he didn't always get home and he usually played solid run D. 

Yes too. We don't have a DE near their talent level as pass rusher even though Dante Fowler isn't really that far off but he's more a situational pass rusher rather than an every down DE.

The good news in all of this is just as Grant & Danny said yesterday afternoon, if Jayden Daniels can prove he could be the guy at QB then they're not concerned about upgrading the other positions over the next few years. Having Jayden solves the biggest issue that this franchise has had the most trouble with since LT broke Theismann’s leg.

Essentially what Grant & Danny were saying was after getting a franchise-type QB, all you have to do is then buy in FA or draft well high in the draft tk upgrade your defense and that is a much easier fix than trying to find a franchise QB which we know as Skins fans over the last what… 38 or 39 years?

Didn't ask them to change midseason. I'm saying that with the personnel we have right now, I don't think we have our best 11 on the field. I'm wondering what we could look like with a 3-3-5 and how we could bring pressure from that extra LB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Did you all catch this? Not sure if someone posted it and I missed it (if so my apologies).

Look at Jeremy McNichols pick up the blitz.

Go here and play the video. At 0:03 he has his man lifted off the ground and then he torques him to the ground after that.

https://www.commanders.com/video/can-t-miss-play-daniels-27-yard-td-heave-to-mclaurin-silences-cincy-crowd-in-crunch-time

People wondered why he was on the roster…….this is why. 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Didn't ask them to change midseason. I'm saying that with the personnel we have right now, I don't think we have our best 11 on the field. I'm wondering what we could look like with a 3-3-5 and how we could bring pressure from that extra LB.

Would be interesting to see Jamin Davis in that role IMO