Week 4 - Minnesota @ Green Bay

Leader

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Jaire's "groin" injury is new and must have happened yesterday. If it is anything other than very minor, I'd bank on him not playing. 

We're ****ed if both Alexander and Valentine are out. 

Are we expecting too much from Jordan Love ?

Malik Willis has done Jordan Love no favours. Not deliberately at all, but by winning two games it has set in motion certain thoughts. I am talking about: 
"If the team looks this good with Malik Willis running things, how freaking good they will be with Love as QB......unstoppable." The weight on Love's shoulders is even heavier because of that comparison. some QBs would wilt under the pressure, but at least Love has been seen to be relatively stable, in dealing with adversity.

Overall, yes I expect Love to read the game better than Willis did, he can likely get further into his progressions than Willis does, and perhaps see the whole field a little better, but I don't expect a giant leap in how the Packers play. Perhaps a better mindset would be that Willis has played so much better than was expected, the jump from him (as he was against the Titans) to Love isn't that great. Also, other teams haven't had much time to dissect what Willis does and scheme for it, while Love is more of a known commodity. Down the road, the differences between the two probably become more noticeable than they are now.

I have been more guilty than most with my preseason expectation of what Love could do this year. Everything throughout the team just seemed to come together, the quality of the last few drafts, the key veteran acquisitions this year, the new DC, the emerging QB who looks like he is much better than a mere game-manager, the emergence of LaFleur as a play-caller.

What I must remember is that in any game, there is a big chunk of luck in how the ball bounces on the day. Some games in the past, Green Bay has come out flat and been beaten by a team they should have won against and it will almost certainly continue to be true. The trick is to be sufficiently in tune with the team to minimise the times that happens.

Time travel back two years and I would have been absolutely delighted if Love could rise to something not a mile below Matt Stafford - times change.

If the Packers lose to Minnesota with Love starting, I won't sweat it too much. He is coming off an injury and is rustier than QBs who have played all three games this season. Added to that, Minnesota is a very good team and playing well. If Love struggles beyond the Minny game, sure I'll be much more disappointed, but for the Minny game itself, much as I always enjoy the Packers beating Minny, its not a huge indicator of the Packers season if the Packers lose this one. It may be important playoff-wise, but it doesn't define the season.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Always liked Aaron Jones while he was with the Packers, and a lot is rightfully being made about his return to Green Bay.  Great player.

Having said that, keep an eye on Josh Jacobs this week who may be out to prove the Packers made the right call.  Just sayin..

• Like 1

I've got a massive vested interest in the Packers winning this week as the Vikings are coming to London next week and I have planned to spend my Friday and Saturday hanging at the Grove Hotel again in my Packers gear trolling all the Vikings players and hopefully meeting Aaron Jones again. If I showed up and we had lost I would look like a complete wanker!!! 

• Like 1