2024 GDT Week #3 Steelers 3-0 Visit the Colts 1-2

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

he hasn't made enough of the ho-hum scripted plays you need to make to win regularly.

That may be true, but we are just 25% the way through the season, and considering, he did not get anywhere near the majority of 1st team reps during training camp, that most Starting QBs receive. So considering he is brand new to our team, system and coaches, and is just four games in, with just limited snaps with our 1st team guys during Training Camp, well, I'm fine with his progression to date.

Also, this is yet another reason why Tomlin needs to leave Fields in at QB; how else will we know if he can be our QBOTF, if we take away the opportunity to prove himself.  We will be taking a huge chance if we decide to keep/pay Fields, if he is sitting backup, the rest of the season.  The only other option, would likely be to draft a QB, which, as we've seen, is a crap-shoot, in and of itself...

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think saying majority of his good plays being off script is a little strong. 

I don't feel that way. Majority is simply just more than 50%. I haven't sat down and counted it but gut feeling is that his plays on time in the pocket delivered are not as plentiful as the ones where he moves off the pocket and makes a throw on the move.

3 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

That may be true, but we are just 25% the way through the season,

So? Does that exclude the ability to make an observation in the moment?

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

he did not get anywhere near the majority of 1st team reps during training camp

Uh what? Yes he did.

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

So considering he is brand new to our team, system and coaches,

Considering a majority of the offensive staff is new this reasoning should apply to every offensive player then.

Does he have time to change this? Sure. But he also has 3 other seasons of tape you can look at to see that this is his pattern of making more plays outside the script than within it. He's getting better at not making boneheaded moves when it's off script and is taking better care of the ball, that is 100% true. And I'm not saying he can't become the QBOTF or anything like that. Rather it's still just my concern I want to watch as the season goes on.

45 minutes ago, warfelg said:
55 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

So considering he is brand new to our team, system and coaches,

Considering a majority of the offensive staff is new this reasoning should apply to every offensive player then.

A new OC, QB Coach, and WR coach does not constitute a majority of the coaches, and other than the rookies and the QBs, all the other Offensive starters have been on the team, coached by most of the coaches.

Regarding my point about Training Camp, I should have clarified my point by saying, throughout TC and Preseason, other than the first 4-5 days that Wilson was limited, he's been the incumbent starter, and until, what, the day or two prior to the first game, Wilson was expected to start, so there's a mindset to that, and Fields knew that he was #2, from the get-go, so to get thrown in as the starter for the 1st four games of the season, he's had to adjust to all of this, and so far, his biggest issues in Chicago, with TO's, time to release, etc., have mostly been addressed, and rectified.

And just because Fields still occasionally, makes something out of nothing, doesn't mean the majority of his positive plays have been 'off-the-cuff', as it were...many of them were either designed, or were 2nd options, just as any typical QB benefits from, when they check it down to the RB or TE, etc.  just because his success has come from taking the 2nd option, to run, or scramble, and hit his second target, doesn't mean he's just somehow got 'lucky' so far, through his success to date; his success has come from limiting the same mistakes he made in Chicago, while working on faster play/secondary option reads.

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rlon said:

Shocker that War liked this…lol. Keep piggy backing boys. Apparently, it’s an elite defense, but only with  AH in there. Once Herbig is in it’s prone to him being targeted, and that is what centrally happened yesterday. All we needed was Highsmith, and a coach that has an ‘in game’ clue, I’d add. 

No one is saying this was all on Herbig, but open your eyes man. He was a liability in the run game. Offenses run at Watt typically, as you mentioned, but Watt also blows up a lot of those plays. It should be VERY telling that they chose to run at Herbig instead in this game. Watt is still in there and instead of choosing to try to put him on his heels a bit, they ran at Herbig because they knew they would have success.

No one is saying that Herbig isn't VERY promising, but the assertion that he should already be the starter when Highsmith is healthy is very shortsighted. Herbig MAY have the edge currently pass rushing, but it is very apparent that Highsmith is much better in run defense.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

A new OC, QB Coach, and WR coach does not constitute a majority of the coaches, and other than the rookies and the QBs, all the other Offensive starters have been on the team, coached by most of the coaches.

The OC is the big one. It’s a whole new system for everyone. 

20 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Regarding my point about Training Camp, I should have clarified my point by saying, throughout TC and Preseason, other than the first 4-5 days that Wilson was limited, he's been the incumbent starter, and until, what, the day or two prior to the first game, Wilson was expected to start, so there's a mindset to that, and Fields knew that he was #2, from the get-go, so to get thrown in as the starter for the 1st four games of the season, he's had to adjust to all of this, and so far, his biggest issues in Chicago, with TO's, time to release, etc., have mostly been addressed, and rectified.

It was a majority of camp that Fields was with the 1’s. It was really the last week before PS Game 3 that Russell was back. He’s had enough time working with the 1’s. Far more than Russ. 

22 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

And just because Fields still occasionally, makes something out of nothing, doesn't mean the majority of his positive plays have been 'off-the-cuff', as it were...many of them were either designed, or were 2nd options, just as any typical QB benefits from, when they check it down to the RB or TE, etc

Agree to disagree then because I feel like the sentiment of what I said is getting twisted now.