OL and hall of fame

Blackstar12

I don't know what the bottom threshold would be, but it seems like guys that have 10+ All-Pros+Pro Bowls, with a decade as a starter, have a really good shot.  Anybody that gets over 4 All-Pros don't seem to have to wait around long.  At least for the more modern players.   I'm sure there are guys that get in without meeting that (Tony Boselli comes to mind) but that's normally what I look for when I'm contemplating whether I think someone will get in or not.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

As it is with every position, there shouldn’t be a benchmark. Hit this many [blank], and you’re a HOFer.

PBs and APs should be a factor, along with (and most importantly IMO) dominance + consistency. Joe Thomas played for one of the worst teams in that span of years, and he’s still a no brainer HOFer. Eye test is admittedly a lame excuse, but after a certain amount of time, these guys just floor it.

It’s what makes it tough. Like, Jason Peters and Trent Williams were pretty similar players for most of their primes. Plenty even had Peters ahead. But Trent’s still dominating and Peters fell off at the end, so I believe one will be remembered much better than the other. It’s one of the crappy parts about “eye test”, there’s not really something quantitative to lean back on. 

5 hours ago, Soko said:

As it is with every position, there shouldn’t be a benchmark. Hit this many [blank], and you’re a HOFer.

PBs and APs should be a factor, along with (and most importantly IMO) dominance + consistency. Joe Thomas played for one of the worst teams in that span of years, and he’s still a no brainer HOFer. Eye test is admittedly a lame excuse, but after a certain amount of time, these guys just floor it.

It’s what makes it tough. Like, Jason Peters and Trent Williams were pretty similar players for most of their primes. Plenty even had Peters ahead. But Trent’s still dominating and Peters fell off at the end, so I believe one will be remembered much better than the other. It’s one of the crappy parts about “eye test”, there’s not really something quantitative to lean back on. 

The problem with All-Pros is it falls to biased sportswriter who often don't even know what they're talking about. Trent Williams is the same guy he was in Washington, and he only made a single All-Pro team. 2nd team at that!