Gameday Thread: Week 5 Giants @ Seahawks

Shockwave

Giants 1-3 @ Seahawks 3-1 4:25PM Lumen Field

All Time Record vs Hawks:
10-11

Last Meeting 2023:
Hawks 24 Gmen 3

Seattle cruised to an easy win. Even Drew Lock got some action! Danny and Brieda came together to muster a single FG. Thibs had two sacks though!

Current Notable Injuries:

Hawks:

Leonard Williams (Ribs)
Julian Love (Thigh)
Jerome Baker (Hamstring)
George Fant (IR)
Byron Murphy (Hamstring)

Giants:

Malik Nabers (Concussion protocol)
Dru Phillips (Calf)
Adoree Jackson (Calf)
Graham Gano (IR)

Never easy travelling all the way out west for a game but they are coming off 10 days rest and preparation. Hawks are coming off a tough loss vs Detroit and their defense has been decimated by injuries. They gave a up a perfect game to Goff. Assuming Nabers is a go (because if he's not then this in an automatic loss) the offense should be able to move the ball. Unfortunately we're banged up in the secondary and if Phillips and or Adoree can't play it's going to be a long night dealing with DK, Lockett, and Njigba. Expecting some points put up by both teams. 

Giants: 24
Hawks: 21

Gameday Thread Records:
Shockwave 1-0
@Giants4eva 0-3 

• Like 1

Short rest for the Seahawks, but we are traveling across the country, so call that a wash.

Geno Smith is going to absolutely destroy our secondary. Last year, the Seahawks game was the one that I thought would truly tell me what that team was. We had a Murphy's Law game week 1, amazing comeback win week 2, then a game where we were obviously out of our league week 3. Then, we got absolutely blown out and Jones looked awful in week 4 against the Seahawks. It's week 5 this year, but the result should be about the same. I remember turning that game off after the inexcusable pick 6.

The good news for this season is that the OL looks good, the playcalling is good enough, and there are weapons. We absolutely, 100% know for sure now that DJ is the problem. It might be too late to save Dabs and/or Schoen, though.

Seahawks 31-Giants 6

We score one more field goal than we did last year!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Giants 1-3 @ Seahawks 3-1 4:25PM Lumen Field

All Time Record vs Hawks:
10-11

Last Meeting 2023:
Hawks 24 Gmen 3

Seattle cruised to an easy win. Even Drew Lock got some action! Danny and Brieda came together to muster a single FG. Thibs had two sacks though!

Current Notable Injuries:

Hawks:

Leonard Williams (Ribs)
Julian Love (Thigh)
Jerome Baker (Hamstring)
George Fant (IR)
Byron Murphy (Hamstring)

Giants:

Malik Nabers (Concussion protocol)
Dru Phillips (Calf)
Adoree Jackson (Calf)
Graham Gano (IR)

Never easy travelling all the way out west for a game but they are coming off 10 days rest and preparation. Hawks are coming off a tough loss vs Detroit and their defense has been decimated by injuries. They gave a up a perfect game to Goff. Assuming Nabers is a go (because if he's not then this in an automatic loss) the offense should be able to move the ball. Unfortunately we're banged up in the secondary and if Phillips and or Adoree can't play it's going to be a long night dealing with DK, Lockett, and Njigba. Expecting some points put up by both teams. 

Giants: 24
Hawks: 21

Gameday Thread Records:
Shockwave 1-0
@Giants4eva 0-3 

Actually 2-2. Called the first 2, got 2 others wrong. But any way, I don't see us beating the Seahawks. After watching them play the Lions last night, i don't think there's any way our secondary is gonna be able to deal with Njigba / Metcalf and Lockett. We are going to get smoked in this one. Unless Brian Burns / Thibs and the rest of defense learns how to pass rush consistently.. i cant see this one coming our way. The last time they played Jones made Devin Witherspoon look like the second coming of Deion Sanders. I unfortunately think this Seattle team is gonna bounce back with a vengeance against us next Sunday. 

Seahawks  28 / Giants 16

• Like 2

i just want everyone to know (including @Shockwave) i truly truly truly cant stomach seeing our team lose. I wanna see this team go out and knock the ever loving sh-- out of our opponents week in and week out. I hope honestly to be wrong when i predict were gonna lose and i have to eat crow. 

But with that said, still sticking to my prediction we get smoked this coming Sunday. 

There is very little accountability on this team. They seem content with just being not a disaster. A good QB is killing themselves after the game for all the shots they clearly missed on. Instead, we get some ho hum, "we did some things well, just didn't do enough" nonsense. Aaron Rodgers talked about how ugly his own passes were this past week, and he's a narcissist. I've never heard Jones criticize his own play. 

I can't believe we've stuck with this guy for this long. We need him gone yesterday. 

• Like 1

Thing is they've been competitive in every single game except week 1. We're 1 kicker and 1 drop away from being 3-1. Good teams find ways to win those close games and bad teams find ways to lose them and yes we are still a bad team. However...the defense has settled in, the offense has shown some signs of life. There are some positives to feel good about. This game against the Hawks is winnable, the Bengals aren't looking all that great, the Eagles are sputtering, Steelers will be a tough game, then Commanders and Panthers. There is still a decent chance to make a nice run here. 

Don't get me wrong I'm done with Jones as well. But he hasn't been horrible this year. Granted he was saved on a pick 6 by the helmet to helmet, Nabers has broken up a couple of probable picks as well, and his deep ball has been bad. But he's been moving the ball well from 20 to 20. Not going 3 and out constantly, not getting strip sacked... he's played well enough for them to be in contention in every game. He's also had some really nice passes outright dropped. 

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Thing is they've been competitive in every single game except week 1. We're 1 kicker and 1 drop away from being 3-1.

Which is what makes it worse. Obviously it is much easier said than done, but we are a good QB away from being a really good team. We've been watching crappy QB play for almost a decade now. I'm so sick of it.

I'd argue he only hasn't been horrible because the OL is good and Nabers is a stud. We've talked for years now about getting him an OL and #1 receiver. He finally has those and he is... ok. He's off target on a lot of throws, they still get caught, but they only go for 5 yards instead of 15 because he can't lead anyone. He underthrows every deep shot. We finally have an answer on what he is, and it is incredibly underwhelming. It's just so disappointing.

22 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Thing is they've been competitive in every single game except week 1. We're 1 kicker and 1 drop away from being 3-1. Good teams find ways to win those close games and bad teams find ways to lose them and yes we are still a bad team. However...the defense has settled in, the offense has shown some signs of life. There are some positives to feel good about. This game against the Hawks is winnable, the Bengals aren't looking all that great, the Eagles are sputtering, Steelers will be a tough game, then Commanders and Panthers. There is still a decent chance to make a nice run here. 

Don't get me wrong I'm done with Jones as well. But he hasn't been horrible this year. Granted he was saved on a pick 6 by the helmet to helmet, Nabers has broken up a couple of probable picks as well, and his deep ball has been bad. But he's been moving the ball well from 20 to 20. Not going 3 and out constantly, not getting strip sacked... he's played well enough for them to be in contention in every game. He's also had some really nice passes outright dropped

Everything you said there defines a backup qb. they don't play horrible, but they don't make enough plays for u to win the big games. 

• Like 1

I'm torn. I really want the kid to be able to play because he's our only chance of winning and I want him to break Puka's record but not at the expense of his health. Not sure how many concussions he had in college. You can only take so many. I'm guessing if he does play he'll have a guardian cap on. 

Side note though... and granted I'm not well versed in the concussion protocol. But this injury happened last Thursday night. Why is he only in the "early stages" of the protocol nearly a week later? I would think given the extra four days he'd have been much further along in the evaluations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I'm torn. I really want the kid to be able to play because he's our only chance of winning and I want him to break Puka's record but not at the expense of his health. Not sure how many concussions he had in college. You can only take so many. I'm guessing if he does play he'll have a guardian cap on. 

Side note though... and granted I'm not well versed in the concussion protocol. But this injury happened last Thursday night. Why is he only in the "early stages" of the protocol nearly a week later? I would think given the extra four days he'd have been much further along in the evaluations. 

I think Slayton probably said it best: "Every concussion is different".

To be honest, watching that Dallas game, I'm not sure he didn't suffer a concussion earlier in the game than that drop along the sideline that he was pulled out after. He was moving a little slow and getting waaay too much work. He looked a little out of it.