Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

5 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Pretty easy to figure this out. 2019 they had a crappy QB and some ok weapons. 2022 they had crappy QBs until Brock and CMC came in. This year is the outlier, they should have enough talent, but the oline has been awful near the goal line. 

• Like 2

The winner of Thursday Night Football will be sitting in first place in the NFC West and feeling fairly comfortable. The loser, having no wins in the conference, will be languishing outside the top 11 and worrying about their playoff odds. So, you know. No pressure.

Still think we win even on the road, and with a new kicker. 30 to 20.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Pretty easy to figure this out. 2019 they had a crappy QB and some ok weapons. 2022 they had crappy QBs until Brock and CMC came in. This year is the outlier, they should have enough talent, but the oline has been awful near the goal line. 

What's your explanation for 2020???

Jimmy, Beathard, and Mullens all sharing significant snaps. Mostert played half the season. And they still ranked 7th according to that tweet.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, gridirongorilla said:

The team just seems burnt out and worn down already at this point in the season. CMC coming back or whatever doesn't feel like it would make enough of a difference.

This reminds me of Harbaugh's last season. SB hangover, all the injuries. Not good 

It's already made a huge difference. Jonny was talking about this on his podcast. Teams are playing the 49ers significantly different without him in the lineup. Also no Pearsall, or Cowing has hurt. 49ers have no deep threats to take the top off. Jennings, Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle just aren't threatening safeties deep much. Cowing, and Pearsall were supposed to help on a lot of quick passes, and we haven't seen Brock do that as much under center this year. The untimely injuries/incidents to CMC, Cowing, and Pearsall near the start of the season really threw a wrench in the offensive identity Shanahan had cooking. Aiyuk, and Trent holdouts didn't help. So now it feels like the 49ers on offense have had to make up ground on short notice from all the offseason setbacks. Getting those players back will absolutely help. Squad just needs to hold it together until then.

That being said, that's still no excuse to lose to the Rams or Cards.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

What's your explanation for 2020???

Jimmy, Beathard, and Mullens all sharing significant snaps. Mostert played half the season. And they still ranked 7th according to that tweet.

Kyle is good. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I’d quote myself if I cared to find posts. But I said a long time ago the Niners are acting like a team who made it and won the Super Bowl, not a team trying to win it for the first time. The contract situations this offseason split the team. Whether that was splitting the players, players thinking what about me, Shanny looking at his players differently, players split from the organization if they took sides…. Lots of different ways that messes with their heads. 

90% of you side with the players and say they should get theirs while they can. Maybe, I don’t know. I, to a fault, side with the team usually and say the player should shut up and get to work. We’re all biased based on our life experiences. I was on a lot of good teams in my life and saw talented rosters under perform and great coaches become different people based on chemistry and finger pointing because of me first people. I have a hard time believing guys holding out and then being hurt or playing poorly or whatever has not caused some bad blood on the team. They don’t need a new coach or QB or whatever. They need a team shrink. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I’d quote myself if I cared to find posts. But I said a long time ago the Niners are acting like a team who made it and won the Super Bowl, not a team trying to win it for the first time. The contract situations this offseason split the team. Whether that was splitting the players, players thinking what about me, Shanny looking at his players differently, players split from the organization if they took sides…. Lots of different ways that messes with their heads. 

90% of you side with the players and say they should get theirs while they can. Maybe, I don’t know. I, to a fault, side with the team usually and say the player should shut up and get to work. We’re all biased based on our life experiences. I was on a lot of good teams in my life and saw talented rosters under perform and great coaches become different people based on chemistry and finger pointing because of me first people. I have a hard time believing guys holding out and then being hurt or playing poorly or whatever has not caused some bad blood on the team. They don’t need a new coach or QB or whatever. They need a team shrink. 

Several of these guys have held out. And they've all played poorly immediately following their extended contract negotiations.  If they are upset by people holding out, that's some hypocritical ****. So yeah, I'm probably not going to lay whatever is going on at the feet of people being upset about hold outs. At least not for the big wigs. Everyone knows this is a business and athletes seldom get involved in the business side of teammates money. Its generally considered a faux pas. 

But nobody is pointing fingers as far as I know, and there's no known bad blood as far as I am aware. They are just saying it's been weird. These are the quotes: 

Sorry, but I just don't think the offensive line has been nearly as much of a problem as people are used to it being and want it to be (not in the pass game, at any rate....in the run game in the red zone I think they are losing quite frequently)  

It's not a good line, but it's one that Purdy can easily manage with independent of other team factors 

Also, the "too pass happy" narrative is lazy and not as grounded in reality as people want to think, especially last year

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

lol 

The stat nerds (as at least a stat nerd adjacent person) will note the sort of obscene dumb-as-rocks analytics-wise offensive approach. Like, playaction passes have been a pretty heavy cheat code for a long time regardless of how good your running game is. Our diet seems to indicate that they are dumb now instead of being top of the pack in using them. We're basically doing a last year's Jags impression or this year's Bears before they realized that a million option routes from spread gun + running the ball from under center just isn't efficient even if you have that dude. It's hard to pass protect. It requires you being right on tight conflict defenders again and again with big hurts coming if you don't get it just right. It telegraphs intentions. And when your dropback game is cloudy, it's the scramble drill and it's just 1999 NBA iso ball. Guess what! The Bears ran some good old playaction deep overs and screens and rollout sail and got dudes wide open killed that **** against the Panthers. Who are terrible at defense, but not as terrible on a per play basis as the Cardinals have been this season on defense in terms of success rate.

The nerds'll note all of the drops on really nice tough throws that really hurt Brock. They'll note that in spite of the drops that he has a really high CPOE. They will note that Brock's done his job many times to win games only for kickers to miss kicks or dudes to drop balls or guys to miss blocks or fumble balls and then have to win the game again. And again. They will be unswayed by the mind-boggling frustration of another red zone trip or the dancing around again on another play (even though between the twenties its been working well enough if repetitive). But man, is it frustrating to watch. It feels disconnected and gross and like the called play doesn't matter often enough the way it should. 

It could certainly be the sign of an offense that just is out of juice. But it could also be that they had lessons that they needed to learn to become more complete versions of themselves. I have a lot of faith in Brock and Kyle to get it right. I think they've earned that. But even if the offense gets right, I think that it'll be a frustrating, inconsistent season because of the other side of the ball. But I'd rather have 2021 style seasons than 2016s any day. And if we can show some of our old heart in the tough games ahead, I still wouldn't want to have to deal with All Pro Fred and friends in the postseason even if they aren't a great team this particular season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Fairly long thread comparing other coaches. Some a while back. Funny enough, Mike Shanahan has a smiliar graph. His stints in LA, and Washington probably mudding the waters.

Oooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee. That definitely puts a graph to an internal feeling.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

3.7 seconds TTT yesterday per PFF. 

We have surpassed peak Chicago era Justin Fields with this stuff. He needs to get that down like a full second. For the year he's nearly 3.4...unsustainable. 

I think this stat is misleading in that it is artificially inflated by his rodeo plays.  If he has 10 plays. 9 of them are 2.5 seconds, and the 10th play is 8 seconds, the average is 3.3. 

He has a lot of plays that last more than five seconds.