In-Game Consoling (Currently vs Bucs)

Raves

I've seen a lot of bashing on Rattler on social media after his 1st game. Feel like context is key. He definitely didn't have a perfect game with a few miscues in the 2nd half, but I thought in terms of 1st career game, he had a lot of positives on display. Not even accounting for some of the worst circumstances you could have for a 1st start without 3 starting OL, Chris Olave missing basically the entire game, going down 17-0 early in the 1st quarter, and having to deal with his defense having arguably the worst defensive performance in the past decade for the Saints. Not to mention terrible miscues on offense with several bad drops, a lost fumble, and an illegal motion penalty killing a big play.

Spencer Rattler had this stat line for his first start:

22/40 243 passing yards 1 touchdown 2 interceptions 27 rushing yards

Here's how other young high profile QB's have done in recent years in their 1st career start:

CJ Stroud- 28/44 242 passing yards 0 touchdowns 0 interceptions 20 rushing yards

Jayden Daniels- 17/24 184 passing yards 2 touchdowns (rushing) 0 interceptions 88 rushing yards 

Caleb Williams- 14/29 93 passing yards 0 touchdowns 0 interceptions 15 rushing yards

Joe Burrow- 23/36 193 passing yards 0 touchdowns 1 interception 46 rushing yards

Jordan Love- 19/34 190 passing yards 1 touchdown 1 interception 23 rushing yards

Tua Tagovailoa- 12/22 93 passing yards 1 touchdown 0 interceptions 0 rushing yards

Trevor Lawrence- 28/51 332 passing yards 3 touchdowns 3 interceptions -2 rushing yards

Bo Nix- 26/42 138 passing yards 1 touchdown (rushing) 2 interceptions 35 rushing yards

Drake Maye- 20/33 243 passing yards 3 touchdowns 2 interceptions 38 rushing yards

Bryce Young- 20/38 146 passing yards 1 touchdown 2 interceptions 17 rushing yards

I think it's fair to say none of these players really dominated in their first game. Feel like Rattler's 1st game is easily on par with what pretty much all of these players showed in their 1st game. Difference being Rattler was a 5th round pick (still wild to me that he fell that far) and the other guys on the list were 1st round picks. I'd argue Rattler even had arguably the worst situation to go into with his OL and lack of WR's playing yesterday. Point being just about every rookie QB has some struggles in their 1st start. Even some of the best QB's in the league that are listed above didn't set the world on fire in their 1st start.  

If Rattler's first half is a sign of things to come, then things could get real interesting over the next few weeks for us. Obviously it’s very early and we will need to see more from Rattler before making real conclusions about whether he can be the guy for us, but he certainly flashed a ton of potential in the first half yesterday for us. Hopefully we see more of that on Thursday vs Denver. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Spencer Rattler had this stat line for his first start:

22/40 243 passing yards 1 touchdown 2 interceptions 27 rushing yards

If Rattler's first half is a sign of things to come, then things could get real interesting over the next few weeks for us. Obviously it very early and we will need to see more from Rattler before making real conclusions about whether he can be the guy for us, but he certainly flashed a ton of potential in the first half yesterday for us. Hopefully we see more of that on Thursday vs Denver. 

Rattler did rookie things, and he did some good things. Oddly enough, he's a rookie! He performed better than Dak Prescott at $3.5mil per game.

I'd like to see what he can do with a clean pocket.

He threw fewer picks than Baker Mayfield, and had the same amount as Drake Maye, Dak, Andy Dalton, and Geno Smith. All these other cats have played in a few games, so I'm not freaking out.

• Like 1

91 points in the first 2 games. 76 points in the 4 games since.

Allowed 29 points in the first 2 games. 118 points in the 4 games since.

The math: a +62 differential vs. a -42 differential.

We've got the Broncos, at Chargers, at Panthers, Falcons, and Browns through November. If we don't go at least 3-2 over that stretch, I think we'll be seeing an axe come December.  We'll finish up with the Rams, at Giants, Commanders, at Packers, Raiders, and at Buccs. The finish will likely be 2-4 if we keep up our continued play. At any rate, 7-10 doesn't cut it for our beloved Saints.

I'm guessing DA is gone by week 10. Unless something dramatic takes place.

• Like 1

Rattler was fine.  I don't care about the picks, in his first start ever the score was 17-0 at the coin toss.  That's a tall ask even for Tom Brady, no one expects a rookie to work any miracles with that.  He missed some open guys, but once again, it's just rookie stuff.  I need to see him in a few games where the rest of the team isn't complete *** before I make judgement on him.

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I need to see him in a few games where the rest of the team isn't complete *** before I make judgement on him.

They'll develop timing, learn to position him away from weak blocking spots, and he'll learn more of the playbook and be able to audible at a higher level...just in time to hit the bench as Carr comes back in...

20 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I've seen a lot of bashing on Rattler on social media after his 1st game.

Yeah, many of the people on the social media pages (especially FB) are just fans and that's it. No sense of the game. I stick up for Rattler because he exhibits the poise and passion of a great QBotF. Oh, and he's a bit talented too.

• Like 1