Lions extend DT Alim McNeill

Louis Friend

He was the 6th highest graded interior DL so far this year.  Last year he was the 8th highest rated DT at the end of the year with one of those ahead of him being Aaron Donald who retired.  So it seems reasonable to be the 4th highest paid DT (.25M a year ahead of being 7th) for a 24 year old DT who has gotten better each year.  He would have been the hottest DT free agent on the market if we didn't keep him and would have left a huge hole in the D if we did let him go so I am pretty pumped we locked him in.  Hopefully the terms of the deal dont push a bunch of money into void years.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He was the 6th highest graded interior DL so far this year.  Last year he was the 8th highest rated DT at the end of the year with one of those ahead of him being Aaron Donald who retired.  So it seems reasonable to be the 4th highest paid DT (.25M a year ahead of being 7th) for a 24 year old DT who has gotten better each year.  He would have been the hottest DT free agent on the market if we didn't keep him and would have left a huge hole in the D if we did let him go so I am pretty pumped we locked him in.  Hopefully the terms of the deal dont push a bunch of money into void years.  

Perception will just take a bit to shift. Until last year there was talk that he was a low-level starter and that the Lions needed to eventually get a DT1, that he wasn't the guy. He's been great the past 20+regular season games and if he plays well this year then the public/media perception should shift into "elite" talk. 

$0.02

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Perception will just take a bit to shift. Until last year there was talk that he was a low-level starter and that the Lions needed to eventually get a DT1, that he wasn't the guy. He's been great the past 20+regular season games and if he plays well this year then the public/media perception should shift into "elite" talk. 

$0.02

Agreed.  Most guys have one big year in their contract year and then fall back to earth after getting a big deal.  McNeil has been on a constant rise and is staying in the system he excels in.  But yeah, I think more than anything its going to take people realizing how good he is and accepting it even if he doesn't have huge sack numbers. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2024 at 5:46 AM, NYRaider said:

I've honestly never heard of this dude. 0 pro bowls / 0 all pros / barely any sack production and he got almost $100M?

tell me you don't know ball without saying you don't know ball

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, General Tso said:

He's a Raiders fan, he's going through a lot right now

"Alim McNeill -- I realize this is higher than most have him, but this is the must come away with player of the class for me of prospect we will definitely have an opportunity to get. When you watch NC State, when it's a good rep you rewind and see #29 lined up right over the center popping up with the speed as if he himself snapped the ball with a quick grip and the ability to 2 gap the center and control where the run lane is going to be. Against North Carolina (Tarheels with Javonte Williams Michael Carter, and a future NFL QB) NC State got silly wrecked, but you rewind and #29 was subbed out, or was dang close to making the play at the LOS but the talent around him allowed the RBs enough lateral space to escape. I won't hold that against Alim, because the reps he is in the game have a massive impact on how that defense plays. He collapses the pocket, dictates where LBs can shoot cleanly, and has a violence of pressuring the pocket inwards and creating disruption unexpected of a nose tackle. He seemed to line up near exclusively over the center, but you can see athleticism that if needed he could play 3 technique alongside Johnathan Hankins and be disruptive there as well, and then replace Hankins when you want a NT -- but still want some pocket collapsing in likely, but not sure bet, passing situations where a more traditional 3tech like Mo Hurst needs to be on the field. There's no prospect like McNeill in the class. Sure there are monster sized noses like Shelvin from LSU, Slaton from Florida, and Quinton Bohanna (who I like very late if the Raiders miss on Alim) from Kentucky, but it's not in the same class of athlete at all. Those are more Terrance Cody "oh that's a big boy" guys, than the "wow, that nose has moves" you see from Alim. He looks like a Fletcher Cox type to me, and I keep thinking second round, but for the Raiders I'd be scared to not draft him because I like him so much and to me that means trade down for more picks and reach. If we could go to 32 or around there, then the reach isn't a big one."

My post on what I wanted Raiders to do 2021, trade down select Alim late first. We aren't all unaware of Alim.
During the draft, when Darrisaw fell that's who I wanted, but I would have gotten Darrisaw +. Alim and I cry all the time with our incompetence. At least Mark Davis doesn't have to pay out 200mil in extensions.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

"Alim McNeill -- I realize this is higher than most have him, but this is the must come away with player of the class for me of prospect we will definitely have an opportunity to get. When you watch NC State, when it's a good rep you rewind and see #29 lined up right over the center popping up with the speed as if he himself snapped the ball with a quick grip and the ability to 2 gap the center and control where the run lane is going to be. Against North Carolina (Tarheels with Javonte Williams Michael Carter, and a future NFL QB) NC State got silly wrecked, but you rewind and #29 was subbed out, or was dang close to making the play at the LOS but the talent around him allowed the RBs enough lateral space to escape. I won't hold that against Alim, because the reps he is in the game have a massive impact on how that defense plays. He collapses the pocket, dictates where LBs can shoot cleanly, and has a violence of pressuring the pocket inwards and creating disruption unexpected of a nose tackle. He seemed to line up near exclusively over the center, but you can see athleticism that if needed he could play 3 technique alongside Johnathan Hankins and be disruptive there as well, and then replace Hankins when you want a NT -- but still want some pocket collapsing in likely, but not sure bet, passing situations where a more traditional 3tech like Mo Hurst needs to be on the field. There's no prospect like McNeill in the class. Sure there are monster sized noses like Shelvin from LSU, Slaton from Florida, and Quinton Bohanna (who I like very late if the Raiders miss on Alim) from Kentucky, but it's not in the same class of athlete at all. Those are more Terrance Cody "oh that's a big boy" guys, than the "wow, that nose has moves" you see from Alim. He looks like a Fletcher Cox type to me, and I keep thinking second round, but for the Raiders I'd be scared to not draft him because I like him so much and to me that means trade down for more picks and reach. If we could go to 32 or around there, then the reach isn't a big one."

My post on what I wanted Raiders to do 2021, trade down select Alim late first. We aren't all unaware of Alim.
During the draft, when Darrisaw fell that's who I wanted, but I would have gotten Darrisaw +. Alim and I cry all the time with our incompetence. At least Mark Davis doesn't have to pay out 200mil in extensions.

Me checking who the Raiders picked in the first round that year

The Office Smile GIF

• Like 3