2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think the Jets will project Allen as a poor fit in the New York media market given the supposed timeframe of his development and wont want to chance it. He also played in Wyoming and the jump might be another concern they have. Mayfield on the surface seems like a safe pick because of his intangibles for leadership but he is raw and undersized. I doubt the Jets fall in love with Mayfield or feel compelled to reach that high again after Mark Sanchez didn't pan out for them. Chubb is safe, fots a position of need, and they can find a free agent in McCown and Keenum or develop a guy like Kurt Benkurt or Luke Falk.

We’d have to have way more faith than we know in Hackenberg to go that route. And judged by abates sayingbthis isn’t Triple A last year when asked about Hack... I doubt they want to go that route. The jets have expressed interest in trading up in the past. If they don’t like Allen or Mayfield... than I see us trading up for Rosen or Darnold if we like one or both of them.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We’d have to have way more faith than we know in Hackenberg to go that route. And judged by abates sayingbthis isn’t Triple A last year when asked about Hack... I doubt they want to go that route. The jets have expressed interest in trading up in the past. If they don’t like Allen or Mayfield... than I see us trading up for Rosen or Darnold if we like one or both of them.

And I think Darnold is a lock to go first overall to Cleveland. The Giants would demand a ransom too handsome to fork over for the Jets to be comfortable gambling on Rosen with his concussion/injury history, limited speed/athleticism, and controversial outspoken nature. Giants want to pair a guy with Odell Beckham Jr. for the future and I'm not sure they'd want to give that opportunity over to the team that they share their facility and region with, the Jets. So to me, Chubb it is because like I have predicted, Cousins is signing in Minnesota and Jackson/Mayfield are a reach/too raw while Josh Allen isn't the right fit.

52 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

And I think Darnold is a lock to go first overall to Cleveland. The Giants would demand a ransom too handsome to fork over for the Jets to be comfortable gambling on Rosen with his concussion/injury history, limited speed/athleticism, and controversial outspoken nature. Giants want to pair a guy with Odell Beckham Jr. for the future and I'm not sure they'd want to give that opportunity over to the team that they share their facility and region with, the Jets. So to me, Chubb it is because like I have predicted, Cousins is signing in Minnesota and Jackson/Mayfield are a reach/too raw while Josh Allen isn't the right fit.

Why is Darnell a lock to go 1st?? I dont even think they've made up their minds on who they want yet since FA hasnt even begun.

46 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

May I ask you why you think Cousins doesn't choose us? Not saying you're wrong... just wondering why? Bc the way I see it... I think its a race just between us and Denver. Cleveland will get there guy at 1. Arizona doesn't have the money. Jacksonville has said they are going forward with Bortles. So this leaves Buffalo, Denver, Minnesota and us. Buffalo doesn't have a good cap situation either, but could make it work. Denver is even in a worse cap situation than Buffalo. They actually have to cut or trade 2-3 guys just to get cap space to sign Cousins. This also means signing Cousins allows them to not sign pretty much any other FA besides just him. Not exactly what Cousins is looking for I'm sure. Minnesota has some Cap space (54mill I believe) but that's with 0 QBs on the roster. They also have to pay Floyd and Sherels among some others. As well as have 7-8mill for the draft. After all is said and done they will be able to sign Cousins if they wanted to, but literally would have very little cap space after. Now I get they are a more attractive team than we are with a better roster. But we can pretty much price any team out we want except Cleveland (who I don't even think try and get Cousins). As well as we will still have 40mill or so in cap space to spend after resigning our own, the draft and Cousins. So we will improve this roster. W also have 4 picks in the top 72 (3 in the top 49). So we have selling points for Cousins. We also have a OC that he's familiar with. And I think this is a bigger pro for us than people think. Wherever he signs he wants to win and succeed. He will want to not run a 180 degree different offense than what he has. And we offer that for him. He literally will be running the offense that he likes running under Bates. Its up to us to sell him what we will do with our cap space and draft picks. Time will tell.

37 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Why is Darnell a lock to go 1st?? I dont even think they've made up their minds on who they want yet since FA hasnt even begun.

Just my opinion that Cousins will prefer the environment and team in Minnesota to the rest of his options. Browns I think could land AJ McCarron but they'll still draft a QB (unless they get Cousins... which i doubt they will at this point). No minds are made up probably just yet but I think if Cousins is option A and doesn't pan out, Sam Darnols is option B for Cleveland. Better option in my opinion anyways.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

May I ask you why you think Cousins doesn't choose us? Not saying you're wrong... just wondering why? Bc the way I see it... I think its a race just between us and Denver. Cleveland will get there guy at 1. Arizona doesn't have the money. Jacksonville has said they are going forward with Bortles. So this leaves Buffalo, Denver, Minnesota and us. Buffalo doesn't have a good cap situation either, but could make it work. Denver is even in a worse cap situation than Buffalo. They actually have to cut or trade 2-3 guys just to get cap space to sign Cousins. This also means signing Cousins allows them to not sign pretty much any other FA besides just him. Not exactly what Cousins is looking for I'm sure. Minnesota has some Cap space (54mill I believe) but that's with 0 QBs on the roster. They also have to pay Floyd and Sherels among some others. As well as have 7-8mill for the draft. After all is said and done they will be able to sign Cousins if they wanted to, but literally would have very little cap space after. Now I get they are a more attractive team than we are with a better roster. But we can pretty much price any team out we want except Cleveland (who I don't even think try and get Cousins). As well as we will still have 40mill or so in cap space to spend after resigning our own, the draft and Cousins. So we will improve this roster. W also have 4 picks in the top 72 (3 in the top 49). So we have selling points for Cousins. We also have a OC that he's familiar with. And I think this is a bigger pro for us than people think. Wherever he signs he wants to win and succeed. He will want to not run a 180 degree different offense than what he has. And we offer that for him. He literally will be running the offense that he likes running under Bates. Its up to us to sell him what we will do with our cap space and draft picks. Time will tell.

I agree Cousins probably doesn't fit with many interested teams besides Minnesota, New York, and maybe Buffalo. What it comes down to for me is the culture of the places he'd be moving to and how that will affect his family. He went to Michigan State which is probably closer to Minneapolis than the Meadow Lands. Just saying I think that he'll go for the recently winning team with a more establish head coach and a chance to be part of success without the amplified pressure of winning in New York/New Jersey.

54 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I agree Cousins probably doesn't fit with many interested teams besides Minnesota, New York, and maybe Buffalo. What it comes down to for me is the culture of the places he'd be moving to and how that will affect his family. He went to Michigan State which is probably closer to Minneapolis than the Meadow Lands. Just saying I think that he'll go for the recently winning team with a more establish head coach and a chance to be part of success without the amplified pressure of winning in New York/New Jersey.

I think the Vikings have a lot to sell Cousins. I think the biggest selling point they have is their new OC in DeFilipo. He’s had success with QBs. They also have a good young roster. Minnesota I just don’t think can compete financially. I think if he goes to Minnesota he’s taking less money to do so. Which I’d respect Cousins for doing. As to where he goes geographically I have no clue. His dad had ties to Orlando as a preacher, than moved to Illinois for a bit, but Kirk pretty much grew up in Michigan and stayed in Michigan for college and obviously lived in the DC area now. His wife if from Georgia I believe. Which we all know “happy wife happy life,” So it’s kind of all over the place. I guess Minnesota is closer than NY to Michigan... but that’s not a factor in his decision I don’t think. I think it will come down to money, roster and coaching. I feel we have the money and coaching he likes but we have to sell him on how we improve the roster.

If for one reason or another we lose out on Cousins, all is not lost we still have PLAN B. There are times it sure looks like people want to sign Cousins, just so we can keep our six overall pick in the draft. I feel the same way, but we must keep all options open. The bottom line is we can not come out of this offseason without a top QB. I have no idea what Mac:s PLAN B is. I feel if we don't get Cousins Mac is going to sit tight at six and see who falls to us, and there is nothing wrong with either. Moving up in the draft is probably the last option Mac will do, but if he does move up in the draft and gets the QB he wants he will look like a genius. I wonder how long Cousins is going to drag this signing thing out before he signs with the team he wants, probably just long enough to drive us crazy. What would happen if Cousins doesn't sign till after the draft, is there any timetable that he has to sign by a certain time?

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

If for one reason or another we lose out on Cousins, all is not lost we still have PLAN B. There are times it sure looks like people want to sign Cousins, just so we can keep our six overall pick in the draft. I feel the same way, but we must keep all options open. The bottom line is we can not come out of this offseason without a top QB. I have no idea what Mac:s PLAN B is. I feel if we don't get Cousins Mac is going to sit tight at six and see who falls to us, and there is nothing wrong with either. Moving up in the draft is probably the last option Mac will do, but if he does move up in the draft and gets the QB he wants he will look like a genius. I wonder how long Cousins is going to drag this signing thing out before he signs with the team he wants, probably just long enough to drive us crazy. What would happen if Cousins doesn't sign till after the draft, is there any timetable that he has to sign by a certain time?

No timetable orther than teams would be more inclined to retract their biggest offers in favor of flexibility to address the rest of their rosters. It is unusual to wait that long in Cousins' situation, if not unheard of from a top free agent as far as I can remember, and he will most likely want to actually make his decision sooner than later into free agency I think.

I think plan B could be Case Keenum on a much lower annual salary than what is expected. Really not a worse plan B in my opinion for 2018 and maybe by 2019 or 2020 the Jets will be ready to start a Kurt Benkurt or someone.

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

No timetable orther than teams would be more inclined to retract their biggest offers in favor of flexibility to address the rest of their rosters. It is unusual to wait that long in Cousins' situation, if not unheard of from a top free agent as far as I can remember, and he will most likely want to actually make his decision sooner than later into free agency I think.

I think plan B could be Case Keenum on a much lower annual salary than what is expected. Really not a worse plan B in my opinion for 2018 and maybe by 2019 or 2020 the Jets will be ready to start a Kurt Benkurt or someone.

Really don’t want Kennum to be honest man. 

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

There’s no time table... but I highly doubt he doesn’t sign somewhere within a week of when FA opens. Teams can’t sit around and wait for him. For instance I’ll use us as an example. We will have a ton of money to spend. We sit and wait for him... all the guys at other positions are signing deals. Cousins waits and then chooses elsewhere and we are left with a bunch of cap space, no qb and no improvements on the roster. I honestly think he signs with a team within 48hrs of when FA opens. My hope is within those 48hrs we can grab 3 or more other players to improve the roster to help sell Cousins. This is technically where we have a big advantage. We are the only team who want him that will have additional money to be active in FA (assuming Cleveland doesn’t go after him since they hold the 1st pick). Denver, Minnesota, buffalo and Arizona really only have enough caonsoace just for Cousins. So they have to pitch and wait. We can make a pitch and still go after very good players.

52 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Yeah I've gone back to believing Cousins signs with New York and Keenum with Minnesota, but I don't count the Vikings out of it completely yet ... still a chance.

Not just bc we on here are Jets fans. But publicly we are considered the favorite for him. With Denver a close 2nd and all the rest significantly behind. I fully think that as long as we upgrade the rest of the roster along with getting him he will be a Jet. The finances and coaching will be there and will be what he wants.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Not just bc we on here are Jets fans. But publicly we are considered the favorite for him. With Denver a close 2nd and all the rest significantly behind. I fully think that as long as we upgrade the rest of the roster along with getting him he will be a Jet. The finances and coaching will be there and will be what he wants.

Yeah... you're right...

Archived