Players you like (any round)

Armsteeld2

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Adding my next guy.  Listed as a 5-6 round.  tied some guy named Stuggs for the NCAA sack record.

Ja'von Rolland-Jones

Helluva motor.  Small school guy that NFL May try to make an offball LB.  Last couple seasons he had Chris Odom helping him terrorize QBs.  I say keeping drafting  pass rushers in the defense until we find a stud.

Does anybody know much about Walter Brady?

His story is bizarre; he was tired on the Mizzou squad with Charles Harris for sacks and then was dismissed from the team for "disclosed reasons" and he went to MTSU and... Didn't put up the production number but his talent, size, and everything suggests he would...

No, there aren't really highlights of him either. 

I'm just hoping somebody would have known something, reminded me of a Michael Dyer situation. 

On 12/31/2017 at 8:06 PM, armsteeld said:

Ronnie Harrison 6'3 215: My fave Safety in this class. 

Can you tell me a little more about what you like in Harrison? Just started digging into prospect film. I’ve watched his tape against Clemson, Georgia, FSU, Colorado St, & Arkansas. I’m seeing a guy who is good at some things, but not great at anything. I don’t see a ballhawk, most of his picks came from tips or bad throws. He seems legit in man coverage. Made some good tackles, but what scares me about him is I saw him shy away from run support a LOT. Seemed like he waited for someone else to make initial contact. Missed a few tackles diving at feet instead of wrapping up. However when he needed to make an open field tackle he did well. Has decent speed, but not elite. Will be interested in how he tests at the combine. Decent blitzer. All in all, I see a good player, kind of a high floor, low ceiling type. But not someone I’d be excited about in the 1st round. 

6 hours ago, KJtheWicked said:

Can you tell me a little more about what you like in Harrison? Just started digging into prospect film. I’ve watched his tape against Clemson, Georgia, FSU, Colorado St, & Arkansas. I’m seeing a guy who is good at some things, but not great at anything. I don’t see a ballhawk, most of his picks came from tips or bad throws. He seems legit in man coverage. Made some good tackles, but what scares me about him is I saw him shy away from run support a LOT. Seemed like he waited for someone else to make initial contact. Missed a few tackles diving at feet instead of wrapping up. However when he needed to make an open field tackle he did well. Has decent speed, but not elite. Will be interested in how he tests at the combine. Decent blitzer. All in all, I see a good player, kind of a high floor, low ceiling type. But not someone I’d be excited about in the 1st round. 

What excites me Ronnie Harrison is the player himself.  How often have you seen him allow receivers to get behind him?  Not often.  You mention that he hesitates and waits for others to initiate contact and I’ll ask “Was the play in an alley or did the runner have a two way go?” both of those can cause hesitation.  Have I seen Harrison miss tackles?  Yes.  He has a tendency to want to lower the boom but that doesn’t happen too often.  A ball hawk is someone who catches the ball when it’s in his area.  Harrison does it well.  His Man cover ability is really good for a college level Safety.  He diagnoses plays really quickly which shows he’s a smart player and studies film.  

Athletically I think he is closer to Landon Collins rather than HaHa Clinton-Dix.  He’s probably closer to 6’1 and not 6’3.  Overall I see great Cover Safety who is physical enough and takes pride in stopping the run.  He is also hella competitive to the point that he had to be calmed down by coaches.  I think Harrison has the ability to be a great player.

12 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

What excites me Ronnie Harrison is the player himself.  How often have you seen him allow receivers to get behind him?  Not often.  You mention that he hesitates and waits for others to initiate contact and I’ll ask “Was the play in an alley or did the runner have a two way go?” both of those can cause hesitation.  Have I seen Harrison miss tackles?  Yes.  He has a tendency to want to lower the boom but that doesn’t happen too often.  A ball hawk is someone who catches the ball when it’s in his area.  Harrison does it well.  His Man cover ability is really good for a college level Safety.  He diagnoses plays really quickly which shows he’s a smart player and studies film.  

Athletically I think he is closer to Landon Collins rather than HaHa Clinton-Dix.  He’s probably closer to 6’1 and not 6’3.  Overall I see great Cover Safety who is physical enough and takes pride in stopping the run.  He is also hella competitive to the point that he had to be calmed down by coaches.  I think Harrison has the ability to be a great player.

Yeah like I said I think his man coverage ability is solid. Didn’t see him get beat much. His read and react is good, he seems very instinctual. But as far as the “takes pride in stopping the run” I just don’t see it. He made some nice pops in the Arkansas and Colorado St. films, but he had awful tackling tape against Georgia and Clemson. Looked like he wanted no part of run support. 

After i I posted my comment I watched tape on DeShon Elliott. He wowed me. This is a guy who can make plays. He has closing speed galore. He is a much better tackler than Harrison. If you watch the tape vs USC, he had 2 picks. But the most impressive one was the one he didn’t quite get, where he jumped the TE slant hook. He is every bit the ball hawk Harrison is and then some. I think he is gonna have a Karl Joseph type rise, and might not even be there when we pick at 28.

14 hours ago, Chieferific said:

@Armsteeld2, can I get a breakdown on CMU's Joe Ostman as a possible replacement for Dupree. (i.e not the primary Pass Rusher but an edge setter) Does he fit? Thanks in advance. 

Joe Ostman is a hard one to get a good grasp on.  He has a great motor and is always working to the play.  He doesn’t generate much power from his hands/upper body and is easily stoned by TEs.  Maybe someone spoke ill of him but on two consecutive plays he displayed an impressive bullrush that helped him generate pressure.  I saw him use a spin move in a different game.  I don’t see him as an edge setter nor a passrusher.  He doesn’t use his hands enough and will stay engaged and dancing with the OL rather than combo his rush attempt.  Give me a speed to power followed by an inside spin or a rip followed by a club or a club to rip.  Maybe Sam LB is his calling or he just needs to continue working on rushing without overthinking.  He doesn’t have the quickness or awareness in stopping the run and falling back into the holes.  I watched the Wyoming, Toledo, and another game that’s slipped my mind. 

5 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Joe Ostman is a hard one to get a good grasp on.  He has a great motor and is always working to the play.  He doesn’t generate much power from his hands/upper body and is easily stoned by TEs.  Maybe someone spoke ill of him but on two consecutive plays he displayed an impressive bullrush that helped him generate pressure.  I saw him use a spin move in a different game.  I don’t see him as an edge setter nor a passrusher.  He doesn’t use his hands enough and will stay engaged and dancing with the OL rather than combo his rush attempt.  Give me a speed to power followed by an inside spin or a rip followed by a club or a club to rip.  Maybe Sam LB is his calling or he just needs to continue working on rushing without overthinking.  He doesn’t have the quickness or awareness in stopping the run and falling back into the holes.  I watched the Wyoming, Toledo, and another game that’s slipped my mind. 

Thanks for the eval. I always appreciate your input on prospects. As usual, we see a lot of the same but a little of the different.  He's a prolly a Late rd guy that could provide some nice depth (better than Chick and Moats imo). As far as setting the Edge, on each play almost to a certainty he would hold the line and not get pushed back. That's what I noticed first. I also saw some plays where he looked capable dropping back into space. It was those 2 qualities that told me he could take on that "Dupree" role. He showed some nice Pass Rush moves at times but I don't think that will be his "Bread & Butter".

On 2/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, Chieferific said:

Thanks for the eval. I always appreciate your input on prospects. As usual, we see a lot of the same but a little of the different.  He's a prolly a Late rd guy that could provide some nice depth (better than Chick and Moats imo). As far as setting the Edge, on each play almost to a certainty he would hold the line and not get pushed back. That's what I noticed first. I also saw some plays where he looked capable dropping back into space. It was those 2 qualities that told me he could take on that "Dupree" role. He showed some nice Pass Rush moves at times but I don't think that will be his "Bread & Butter".

Thanks @Chieferific  It is fun watching these guys and wondering how they can upgrade the Steelers team.  I have to get a new laptop so I can get back to doing these evaluations more as it’s too slow on my phone.

52 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Thanks @Chieferific  It is fun watching these guys and wondering how they can upgrade the Steelers team.  I have to get a new laptop so I can get back to doing these evaluations more as it’s too slow on my phone.

Holy crap! You do all those evals on your phone? Now that's dedication (or insanity). 

Isaiah Oliver Col CB 6’1 193: Isaiah Oliver reminds me of Artie Burns.  He has solid size & plays the ball well in the air.  He challenges the catching point well.  He opens hips too quickly & struggles staying in phase on crossing routes.  Timed speed will be important because I’ve seen too many WRs get by him.  Willing tackler with good ball skills.  Oliver is not someone I’d want in the first round but he has some skills to challenge the bigger WRs.

Archived