Offseason Discussion

deuces22wild

So right now, our biggest needs are DE, RB, CB, and safety.

We could probably still draft a good RB in the third round if we wanted. There will probably be quality guys taken in the fifth. This class is deeeeeeep.

The top two safeties seem considerably better than the rest.

CB looks deep. I like LSU's Kevin Toliver. He's a tall, lanky guy who I think would do really well in our zone scheme. We could probably take him in the fourth, given his off field concerns.

DE is weak. After Chubb, there are a handful of guys who all look like they have big upside but a lot of questions about how/if they'll ever reach it.

To go BPA based on draft talent and need, we might be best served going Derwin James/Minkah Fitzpatrick in the first round. A trade back to take one would be perfect, in my opinion.

If we can trade back and get Derwin I’ll be pretty happy. We need that attitude on defense and reaching for Davenport just because we need DE help makes no sense. Problem is I think the 49ers might take Derwin so that’s the risk if we trade down.

If Nelson is there at 7, making an interior line of Nelson, Jensen, Marpet would almost be too tempting to pass up. Peyton Barber should get 1000 yards behind those guys, probably 1200.

7 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

What the ****!?!? We couldn't do that? That's cheap as hell for a player as good as he is.

2 ACL rehabs was going to drop his value considering he also isnt the biggest safety.  I would rather give that type of cap hit to Gaines.  Certainly I want to see Conte replaced, but I would prioritize Curry and Gaines at this point.

8 hours ago, deuces22wild said:

I’m not locking $15 into Smith. With the rest of the line being potentially strong I wouldn’t be opposed to going young at LT. Vet Qb by then.

I wouldn’t lock up winston either just yet. We have the 5th year option and he still needs to prove he’s a franchise qb.  I would use the joe Flacco strategy and let him play out all 5 years of his contract unless he lights it up the next two. 

Smith is an FA next year. While I don’t think it would cost 15 million to keep him, the giants have set the bar too high overpaying Solder. 

Smith is a solid LT. knowing you have that is it the risk to go in and upgrade. 

I expect kwon and Marpet to get new deals soon. 

14 minutes ago, What_The_Buc said:

Looks like Clinton McDonald is visiting with the Raiders. Old Gruden is trying to acquire any player who has once played on the Bucs.

As much as I like Chucky , I’m glad he’s not back here in Tampa. Putting together a veteran roster of guys potentially past there prime. 

I like the juice he brings but personnel decisions is something he’s bad at. 

30 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

As much as I like Chucky , I’m glad he’s not back here in Tampa. Putting together a veteran roster of guys potentially past there prime. 

I like the juice he brings but personnel decisions is something he’s bad at. 

He'll have Oakland back in the playoffs this year. After that, it's anyone's guess.

34 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I wouldn’t lock up winston either just yet. We have the 5th year option and he still needs to prove he’s a franchise qb.  I would use the joe Flacco strategy and let him play out all 5 years of his contract unless he lights it up the next two. 

We could realistically put off Jameis for three more years; let him play this year, give him his fifth year option, then franchise him. We'd save a ton of money doing so. But I'm sure we'll lock him up long-term before we tag him.

38 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Welp. Maybe we still have a chance at going after Curry?

I would be shocked if the Bucs werent rumored with Curry.  He wants a chance to play on 3rd down and make some money.  Not many other teams can offer him at this point of free agency.

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

I would be shocked if the Bucs werent rumored with Curry.  He wants a chance to play on 3rd down and make some money.  Not many other teams can offer him at this point of free agency.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were about done with free agency. ?

BUT, getting better on both lines has been a priority. And we've inquired about every worthwhile DE that's become available. I'm sure we'll make an offer but I don't think we'll make another big offer like we did with Jensen. $7-8M might be our ceiling with him.

I hope I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Is Curry really the pass rusher this team needs? I didn’t really watch a lot of the Eagles this year. I mean anything is an upgrade from what we have. Could he be a cheaper Gholston that wouldn’t have to come off the field on 3rd

Just now, What_The_Buc said:

Is Curry really the pass rusher this team needs? I didn’t really watch a lot of the Eagles this year. I mean anything is an upgrade from what we have. Could he be a cheaper Gholston that wouldn’t have to come off the field on 3rd

They get no cap relief by cutting Gholston this season.  No dead money after next season.  Ayers is due a 1 million dollar roster bonus I believe today.  In theory, they can still cut Ayers right now with no dead money.

IMO, Curry is a worthwhile risk to try and upgrade the dline.  I ll give Licht some respect in that he stuck to his draft board regardless of position.  He may not draft dline until the 3 rd round.  I have no doubt he wont reach for dline at 7 if Chubb is off the board, but Nelson and/ or Barkley are available.

Archived