FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Guy ran a 4.5 with 4 reps on the bench at the combine, at 5'9 186lbs.  He was never a freak athlete, he was a guy with fantastic instincts who had a knack for making things happen.  If we put him purely in the slot you take away most of his gifts which is improv and knowing where to be.  Also most Cards fans say he has visibly slowed since then due to injury.  

I’m sorry but this is just not true. His instincts and tackling are exactly why playing in the slot is his best position. It’s also the position where he spends the majority of his snaps. 

Go check out the B/R NFL1000 for Slot Defenders in 2017.

Edited by BlaZeN37
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Guy ran a 4.5 with 4 reps on the bench at the combine, at 5'9 186lbs.  He was never a freak athlete, he was a guy with fantastic instincts who had a knack for making things happen.  If we put him purely in the slot you take away most of his gifts which is improv and knowing where to be.  Also most Cards fans say he has visibly slowed since then due to injury.  

So you have to run a 4.3 40 and bench 30 reps to be athletic? Come on man!!! He’s about as athletic as they get. AB is arguably the most athletic player in the league and he ran 4.56. I won’t even acknowledge that you brought up bench press as a way to tell if he’s athletic or not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

He's a really good athlete my man, even post injuries.  Also had a 34" vert.  

2 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I’m sorry but this is just not true. His instincts and tackling is exactly why playing in the slot is his best position. It’s also the position where he spends the majority of his snaps. 

Ok well paying a guy like 11 or 12 million to be a slot CB is silly.  He was the 61st rated CB last year.  Skrine was 85th.  If we are going to pay a premium I want a bigger improvement than that.  His big thing coming out of college was that he was a constant turnover threat, he really has only done that one year in 2015.  He had 2 picks last year, but for less money and better coverage Ross Cockrell had 3 picks.

Just now, rampantjet said:

Ok well paying a guy like 11 or 12 million to be a slot CB is silly.  He was the 61st rated CB last year.  Skrine was 85th.  If we are going to pay a premium I want a bigger improvement than that.  His big thing coming out of college was that he was a constant turnover threat, he really has only done that one year in 2015.  He had 2 picks last year, but for less money and better coverage Ross Cockrell had 3 picks.

We just paid Trumaine 14.5 mil a year and he was the 68th rated corner per PFF.  It's about scheme fit and versatility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

He's a really good athlete my man, even post injuries.  Also had a 34" vert.  

Ya ya, i shouldn't have brought up combine numbers but 34 inch vert is so so, and people were amazed he actually ran the 4.5.  He was expected to be slower, because it just isn't his game.  Don't get me wrong I like the guy a lot, I just think there are much better and cheaper fits out there for what we need.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

We just paid Trumaine 14.5 mil a year and he was the 68th rated corner per PFF.  It's about scheme fit and versatility.

Ya but he was the #1 rated press man corner forced into playing a ton of off ball stuff.  

3 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Ya ya, i shouldn't have brought up combine numbers but 34 inch vert is so so, and people were amazed he actually ran the 4.5.  He was expected to be slower, because it just isn't his game.  Don't get me wrong I like the guy a lot, I just think there are much better and cheaper fits out there for what we need.

That's fair

Right, hence scheme fit and versatility.

Exactly.  And HB's best fit would be a team that didn't just draft 2 S's in the 1st and 2nd round because I really think he should be playing all over the field and not stuck at slot CB.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Exactly.  And HB's best fit would be a team that didn't just draft 2 S's in the 1st and 2nd round because I really think he should be playing all over the field and not stuck at slot CB.

Bowles runs a ton of three safety sets.  It allows us to play Jamal less in coverage and more in the box where he's a natural fit.

• Like 1