FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

More importantly he’s a difference maker and our current roster is 0 for 53 in those.

HB has the reputation of a difference maker but since his big 2015 season he has had 3 picks and 2 forced fumbles and 11 passes deflected, in that same time Ross Cockrell has 3 picks 0 fumbles and 25 passes deflected while getting much better coverage grades, and being 6' tall so he can also match up against big slots.

14 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

HB has the reputation of a difference maker but since his big 2015 season he has had 3 picks and 2 forced fumbles and 11 passes deflected, in that same time Ross Cockrell has 3 picks 0 fumbles and 25 passes deflected while getting much better coverage grades, and being 6' tall so he can also match up against big slots.

I’m not going to have the conversation that if HB is a great player. Bc you are in fact the ONLY one on here saying that. So I’m taking it with a grain of salt. You’re not factoring in any intangibles. Like his injuries or position played, etc. You put AB on the Jets and you think he’s catching for 1,600yds and 14 TDs? Gosh no. You put HB on this revamped secondary and I’m confident you will see his form be the only player he was. Same was as I expect Claiborne to be way better this next year now that he’s in his natural spot at a #2 CB not a #1. All this should also make our young safietues better. Allowing them to roam around more which is where they both are great. 2 have 3 weapons covered at all times with Tru, Mo and HB and allowing Adams and Maye to roam is right up there as the best secondary in the NFL. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Bowles runs a ton of three safety sets.  It allows us to play Jamal less in coverage and more in the box where he's a natural fit.

This is also what Tyrann does, which is why I wonder if they will be willing to pony up big money for a player they already have... 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not going to have the conversation that if HB is a great player. Bc you are in fact the ONLY one on here saying that. So I’m taking it with a grain of salt. You’re not factoring in any intangibles. Like his injuries or position played, etc. You put AB on the Jets and you think he’s catching for 1,600yds and 14 TDs? Gosh no. You put HB on this revamped secondary and I’m confident you will see his form be the only player he was. Same was as I expect Claiborne to be way better this next year now that he’s in his natural spot at a #2 CB not a #1. All this should also make our young safietues better. Allowing them to roam around more which is where they both are great. 2 have 3 weapons covered at all times with Tru, Mo and HB and allowing Adams and Maye to roam is right up there as the best secondary in the NFL. 

Hey I said I would still be pumped about it, but people are going nuts about him as if he is a guy that you give a blank check to and then watch him create 10 turnovers every year.  I'm not sure what AB has to do with anything here, he is the best WR in then league bar none, HB is a really good player but he is nowhere near that elite level so it is an odd random addition to the conversation.  I also expect Claiborne to be better at #2 which is where he should have been all along.  Are injuries an intangible?  And does factoring them in work in his favor?  I think they work against him.  He is constantly bang up because when he is at his best he is playing like Bob Sanders who fell apart really fast, due to size and play style.

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

This is also what Tyrann does, which is why I wonder if they will be willing to pony up big money for a player they already have... 

Not the point really though.  Jamal is best suited playing in the box and not so much on coverage.  It's add versatility by being able to drop Tyrann back and have him cover the slot. 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Not the point really though.  Jamal is best suited playing in the box and not so much on coverage.  It's add versatility by being able to drop Tyrann back and have him cover the slot. 

But we'd most likely be cutting Skrine who basically only covers the slot.  Adams would end up doing the same thing he did last year.

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Heres the thing, im starting to think the guy we wind up drafting is Minkah Fitzpatrick. He may be #1 on Macs board of attainable non-qb's. Id wager if Rosen, Darnell, and Mayfield are gone, Fitzpatrick may be at the top of the board.

We only signed Claiborne to a 1 yr deal. So it could be as insurance.

1 minute ago, KodiakThunder said:

Heres the thing, im starting to think the guy we wind up drafting is Minkah Fitzpatrick. He may be #1 on Macs board of attainable non-qb's. Id wager if Rosen, Darnell, and Mayfield are gone, Fitzpatrick may be at the top of the board.

I would be pretty mad about that pick.

2 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Minkah isn't that good

I can see him going in the teens

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

But we'd most likely be cutting Skrine who basically only covers the slot.  Adams would end up doing the same thing he did last year.

Not necessarily.  We have other corners, etc.  At the very least, it allows us to maximize guys in coverage and matchups.  Overall, more versatile.

2 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

We're going QB round 1.