FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Macc kinda eluded to that he’s ok with what he have in the DLine as well. If that was a smoke screen I’d expect us to go after younger options like Poe or something before Suh. I don’t see a Sheldon reunion with us cleaning up the locker room.

We'll find out bud

13 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I think Cousins is going to take his time, which will allow us to "close" deals prior to March 14. Part of our pitch will be locking these guys up before Cousins signs so If we want Robinson bad enough, there's a good chance we can get him. At the end of the day, most of these decisions come down to money. I also think Maccagnan, who needs to spend roughly 89% of the cap, is going to treat FA like he does the draft and target the absolute BEST players regardless of position (maybe with exception of safety) to insure that his money is well spent. It should be a very interesting process. 

As far as competition? I don't buy SF spending big on WRs. BAL doesn't have enough money and sounds as if they will target bargain bin guys like Moncrief. Cleveland could step in, but they still have a lot of capital at that position... I feel a Pryor reunion is most likely there. I think Jacksonville re-signs Lee instead. The Panthers will likely target a deep threat, but I don't expect them to make a big splash either. The Bears and Redskins pose as the biggest threats in my mind, with SEA being a sleeper. I think the Bears sign Wilson and someone like John Brown as well as finalize a deal for Jarvis Landry. I think Watkins pulls the stunner and signs with SEA, replacing Richardson who leaves in FA. That would leave the Jets and Redskins as his two most likely destinations, with the loser possibly settling for Richardson. 

These are just projections, but I think when you factor in that Robinson will likely want a 1 year deal in the $10-12M range, which allows him to cash in as well as retest the market at age 26, it limits the number of suitors that can really go after him. 

And just like that, Torrey Smith to Carolina. Another team off the list. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Odds getting better. I’ve wanted a great young WR on this team for so long.

Like we've discussed, if we don't land Cousins I don't think Maccagnan will waste his money on trying to fill needs with suspect players. He'll treat it like the draft - target the best young players available and figure the rest out later. When you consider that Kearse, Enunwa, and Anderson could all be gone next year, it makes sense to grab a guy you love now. Outside of Bryant, the group of receivers 27 and under don't project to be anything special... Odell and Evans aren't going anywhere... MAYBE Diggs and Cooks make it to the open market, but seems unlikely. 

Apparently Eric Ebron is available for trade. I would like the Jets to go after him... we can easily afford his cap hit, turns 25 in April, and TEs notoriously take longer to develop than any other skill position in the league (outside QB). 

I feel like his career trajectory can replicate that of Greg Olsen, who was traded to Carolina after his 4th season in the league. Within 3 seasons, Olsen became one of the leagues best TEs. I’m not nearly as confident in ASJ, who outside of a few nice catches and a lot of receptions, didn’t show the kind of playmaking ability a guy like Ebron can provide.

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Apparently Eric Ebron is available for trade. I would like the Jets to go after him... we can easily afford his cap hit, turns 25 in April, and TEs notoriously take longer to develop than any other skill position in the league (outside QB). 

I feel like his career trajectory can replicate that of Greg Olsen, who was traded to Carolina after his 4th season in the league. Within 3 seasons, Olsen became one of the leagues best TEs. I’m not nearly as confident in ASJ, who outside of a few nice catches and a lot of receptions, didn’t show the kind of playmaking ability a guy like Ebron can provide.

I agree with that.  Just depends on the compensation.  4th-5th do it?

12 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Where do I sign.

The feeling is mutual. And another reason why I think the market will be limited to a few teams? Not many teams with the need can afford his $8.25M cap hit, and the teams that can afford it don't really have  a need. Cleveland, Chicago, Denver, San Fran, Tennessee all have invested significant draft capital at TE... 

Edited by jetskid007