Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Saw a blurb from Silverstein's JSO article quoted earlier, but I think adding a couple more lines gives better context

If Murphy chooses Wolf, Gutekunst or Highsmith to be general manager, he’s less likely to lose the other two, since they have grown up together in the organization and believe in the Wolf-style of team building. They have had to suppress their aggressive nature to fit in with Thompson’s conservative style.

Their respect for Thompson’s talent-evaluation skills and leadership kept them from leaving the Packers for lateral positions.

If Murphy chooses Ball, whose primary duties are negotiating contracts but who has been studying personnel evaluation under Thompson, he almost certainly would lose all three personnel men, a source familiar with the Packers' front office said.

His hiring would signal to them that they had no chance of becoming general manager in Green Bay and would be better off elsewhere.

Just now, spilltray said:

His hiring would signal to them that they had no chance of becoming general manager in Green Bay and would be better off elsewhere

Isn't that true no matter who gets the top spot?

I think the gist is that GB wasn't going to promote a personnel guy to GM... which seems odd

Not supposed to be - but that's something that has to be considered. Ball likely stays if he doesn't get the job, because he already has a major role. 

I like the idea of TT sticking around and I think a major exodus (if true and Ball got the job) would be a setback. I don't think re-vamping your personnel department is a good thing

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

On the first point, there's also the possibility that if MM gets fired and Vic thrives, Vic could get an interview to be head coach.  I don't see anything that would keep Vic from being our defensive coordinator next year from a turmoil/uncertainty standpoint. 

I don't want Wolf either, for the same reasons.  There's nothing worse than people who are granted BS positions because of what their parents accomplished.  That's coming from someone who could make 40 dollars an hour to start if he (I) decided to work for his dad's company. 

There must be something to Wolf, they've elevated him on the fast track the last 10 years.

I don't like half the things McKenzie did with the Raiders.  He repeated Thompson's biggest mistake (panic move reaching on an injured player like Justin Harrell) when he drafted DJ Hayden.  I feel like Mack was an easy decision, and so was Carr.  

McKenzie basically got a franchise QB and a franchise pass rusher by virtue of other teams passing on them and he turned that miraculous draft class into a single playoff appearance in four years with them. 

If Carr was such an easy call, why did other take QBs before him. Personally I'm glad MN Missed that " easy" decision on Carr.

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I don't like half the things McKenzie did with the Raiders.  He repeated Thompson's biggest mistake (panic move reaching on an injured player like Justin Harrell) when he drafted DJ Hayden.  I feel like Mack was an easy decision, and so was Carr.  

McKenzie basically got a franchise QB and a franchise pass rusher by virtue of other teams passing on them and he turned that miraculous draft class into a single playoff appearance in four years with them. 

If Carr was such an easy call, why did other take QBs before him. Personally I'm glad MN Missed that " easy" decision on Carr.

Carr is pretty damn overrated. 

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

If you hire one though, the other 3 may well leave. I don't think it matters who's who all that much.

No reason for Ball to leave if he doesn't get the job. He would still carry the duties he was hired for. There are only 32 GM jobs. Thousands of guys out there that wanted that job but never got it. No real reason to jump ship unless it's for a promotion. 

Just now, cannondale said:

No reason for Ball to leave if he doesn't get the job. He would still carry the duties he was hired for. There are only 32 GM jobs. Thousands of guys out there that wanted that job but never got it. No real reason to jump ship unless it's for a promotion. 

Ok so you get to keep 1 of 3 in that scenario

Archived