Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

All I've seen so far is that he is "expected" to "transition" to a new role.  I haven't seen anywhere where it says that he has stepped down as GM. 

From Mortensen, “Ted Thompson will not return as the GM of the Green Bay Packers but will remain with the team. The front office will go through a reorganization with team president Mark Murphy defining new roles for current members of front office, per league and team sources.”

From Wilde, “Can confirm via an #NFL source @RapSheet's and @mortreport's reports that Ted Thompson is transitioning out of GM and into a different role with #Packers. That said, was told the team WILL HAVE a general manager search and will have a true GM, not an unusual power structure.”

From Rapoport, “Sources: #Packers GM Ted Thompson is expected to transition into a new role within the organization. The team will begin a search for a new GM. Bombshell.”

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the tweets but seems pretty clear that TT is no longer our GM. 

not sure if posted or not, but

If Murphy chooses Ball, whose primary duties are negotiating contracts but who has been studying personnel evaluation under Thompson, he almost certainly would lose all three personnel men, a source familiar with the Packers' front office said.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I have read that Thompson is the conservative guy, and these other fellas are expected to be far more aggressive.  There have been rumblings that the underlings present Ted with stuff all the time only to have it not acted upon.  I think we will now be much bigger players in free agency. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No guarantee that's the case though. A lot of situations you have young guys coming up with a lot of ideas, not all of them necessarily good. 

It is generally easier to be the idea man vs the one who has to be accountable for the end result of acting on those ideas.  

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

From Mortensen, “Ted Thompson will not return as the GM of the Green Bay Packers but will remain with the team. The front office will go through a reorganization with team president Mark Murphy defining new roles for current members of front office, per league and team sources.”

From Wilde, “Can confirm via an #NFL source @RapSheet's and @mortreport's reports that Ted Thompson is transitioning out of GM and into a different role with #Packers. That said, was told the team WILL HAVE a general manager search and will have a true GM, not an unusual power structure.”

From Rapoport, “Sources: #Packers GM Ted Thompson is expected to transition into a new role within the organization. The team will begin a search for a new GM. Bombshell.”

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the tweets but seems pretty clear that TT is no longer our GM. 

Yeah .. he's out as GM.  By the way that first tweet from Mortenson is not accurate.  Early reports mentioned reorganization and job sharing.  Not the case. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkfan191 said:

If Murphy chooses Ball, whose primary duties are negotiating contracts but who has been studying personnel evaluation under Thompson, he almost certainly would lose all three personnel men, a source familiar with the Packers' front office said.

Would not be an ideal situation if that were to happen

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

1) McCarthy Should absolutely NOT be the GM and HC.  There is so much that goes into both of those jobs, and for him to assume that responsibility would be a crippling decision for this team.  There is so much risk with that decision, and no upside that I can see.

2)  Based on what we're hearing it sounds like Ball is the guy.

3) Ball has seen what worked and what didn't as far as gaps between FO and the coaching staff.  I like that.

4) It would be EXTREMELY irregular for the team to SIGN/EXTEND two free agents and then choose a GM outside of the organization.  To me, we can rule out anyone outside the organization for that reason.

5) This is FAR AND AWAY the best GM position in the NFL for the past decade, maybe longer.  We could have had absolutely anyone we wanted, and yet we are moving forward with an in-house candidate.  Very strange process and order of operations here.

Good post, but one point of contention, we could only have those guys who are not currently GMs - so not truly "anyone we wanted". (i.e. Dorsey, Schneider, etc)

Just now, incognito_man said:

Good post, but one point of contention, we could only have those guys who are not currently GMs - so not truly "anyone we wanted". (i.e. Dorsey, Schneider, etc)

Well....there could have been a sextuplet GM waiting in the wings set up (Wolf, Gutekunst, Ball, Highsmith, Dorsey, Schneider, etc)

3 minutes ago, Hawkfan191 said:

not sure if posted or not, but

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Would not be an ideal situation if that were to happen

Agree .. that would be concerning.  Hopefully it's not fully accurate.  You'd think someone would stay around ... Hard to believe that move would cause a mass exodus. 

Isn’t it a guaranteed we will lose whoever we don’t give the GM job to? Like over the next few years.

I mean unless like Ball gets it and the 3 guys are like... we are out. But the issue we have is we have a lot of great personnel men... just like losing both johns and Reggie we are going to lose 2-3 of these guys. Eventually 

One would hope that Murphy has been pretty close to these in-house individuals over the last 2+ years as the timeline of TT moving out as GM has been more contemplated.   Murphy would have a good grasp of the + and - that each may bring.   Highly probable IMO that TT would have a strong say in who he feels would be a good successor based on the amount of exchanges that TT would have with each of them.  

TT probably has a binder of the players that each has wanted to draft or pursue in FA and how those players have fared in the NFL.  This transition has been thought through for a good while.  Murphy will still do his due diligence as it ultimately is his call and his job that would be + / - influenced by the end results of the next GM.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

right.  Still, the process is very very strange.  Why would you commit cap $$$ and then hire a GM?  Unless the GM you tapped had a direct hand in handing out those cap $.

And if that's the case, and you had the opportunity to look at every available option, why did you pass on that opportunity?

Just now, Green19 said:

Isn’t it a guaranteed we will lose whoever we don’t give the GM job to? Like over the next few years.

I mean unless like Ball gets it and the 3 guys are like... we are out. But the issue we have is we have a lot of great personnel men... just like losing both johns and Reggie we are going to lose 2-3 of these guys. Eventually 

I think losing both Wolf and Gutekunst at the same time would be a big blow.  Highsmith would likely move up in the pecking order.  

Archived