Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

2 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

it's wild we have so many promising candidates in house. i never really consciously thought about how legit our FO is at the moment. you'd think we'd have more talent lol. 

Add in Alonzo Highsmith and you have another that is a potential future NFL GM

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

It’s just awesome. I feel like we have 4 guys we could hire in house and be content with. 

My order is:

Russ Ball

Brian Guntekunst

Elliott Wolf

Alonzo Highsmith

Absolutely.  Highsmith will get his looks as a GM in the very near future I think.  Hard for him to move up the ladder in GB with Wolf and Gutekunst ahead of him

I want Ted Thompson’s long lost son to be the next GM.

His main difference from his dad? He hates FA even more then he does... doesn’t even signs HIS OWN free agents, every year new draft picks make up the team.

Haha. Seems like Brian and Eliot are the top two candidates... although it’s Mark’s choice... and word is he really like Ball.

Just now, Green19 said:

I want Ted Thompson’s long lost son to be the next GM.

His main difference from his dad? He hates FA even more then he does... doesn’t even signs HIS OWN free agents, every year new draft picks make up the team.

Haha. Seems like Brian and Eliot are the top two candidates... although it’s Mark’s choice... and word is he really like Ball.

Where is that word coming from that Murphy really like Ball?

Just now, Ketchup said:

Where is that word coming from that Murphy really like Ball?

It was an article after Dorsey got fire in KC. Because everyone started talking about him... and if I remember correctly there was more discussion of how everyone though Wolf was the leader for the position if not Dorsey but the article was positioning Ball as the quiet behind the scene guy that is crazy underrated and how much Mark Murphy respected and liked him.

i don’t have the article on me but I just remember it.

Much respect to Murphy for forcing this much needed change, though some will undoubtedly continue to spin it that Ted was the one who made the decision.

"The Packers did not release any information on the decision, but a source said it was Murphy’s decision to start the transition from the 64-year-old Thompson to new front-office leadership."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/01/packers-replace-gm-ted-thompson/994801001/

If I remember correctly Ball was also positioned as a longer tenured man in the business and more senior (meaning... he is more mature and stable).

here is an old article on him... not the article I was remembering.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/30/russ-ball-plays-hardball-packers-heart/349607001/

** michael silver just tweeted everyone should not forget Russ Ball**

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Much respect to Murphy for forcing this much needed change, though some will undoubtedly continue to spin it that Ted was the one who made the decision.

"The Packers did not release any information on the decision, but a source said it was Murphy’s decision to start the transition from the 64-year-old Thompson to new front-office leadership."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/01/packers-replace-gm-ted-thompson/994801001/

I was happy to read this .. pretty much means he was not satisfied moving forward with the status quo.  I would think that if he orchestrated this move he has a pretty good idea of what he'd like to see happen already.  Now he's got to do his due diligence and go thru the interview process.  

Just now, Ketchup said:

What do you mean? He’s stepping down as of right now as the GM and taking on a lesser role. GB is starting their GM search (although I don’t think they are searching at all and already have there GM hand picked but have to satisfy the stupid Rooney rule) right now. That’s my understanding. 

All I've seen so far is that he is "expected" to "transition" to a new role.  I haven't seen anywhere where it says that he has stepped down as GM. 

Archived