Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

I'd love it if McCarthy was the GM and coach.  When you get a good coach, you want him to be able to get the players that suit him best.  It also eliminates scapegoat excuses.  If McCarthy doesn't produce when he's coach and GM, it's an easy decision to get rid of him. 

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Not sure anyone has thought of this, but the WTMJ article on candidates to take over mentioned McCarthy could get extended powers, and that Marvin Lewis may be our next DC and an assitant GM .. sound a little crazy, but an interesting read.

Mike McCarthy. Yes, the team's own head coach could add a title of executive vice president of football operations after 12 years at the helm, directing nine teams to the playoffs in that span. He has had to be, in the words of Bill Parcells, the team's cook, so the theory would be that he could finally "shop for the groceries" This could lead to Wolf being the GM as well, but working essentially FOR McCarthy instead of the traditional reversal of roles. This would be a setup much like what you see with Bill Belichick in New England, or the NBA's San Antonio Spurs with Gregg Popovich having player personnel staff be tasked and trusted with finding the right players, but with a coach's overseeing approval. Such a situation could also lead to the movement of Marvin Lewis from his coaching job in Cincinnati to play a role of defensive coordinator/assistant GM in Green Bay.

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/who-might-be-the-green-bay-packers-next-gm-replacing-ted-thompson

Lewis as DC I would like. The rest of this though....idk what to think lol

Fwiw, McCarthy and Lewis go back a long ways. Both were on the same staff at the University of Pittsburgh early in their careers

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd love it if McCarthy was the GM and coach.  When you get a good coach, you want him to be able to get the players that suit him best.  It also eliminates scapegoat excuses.  If McCarthy doesn't produce when he's coach and GM, it's an easy decision to get rid of him. 

Coach/GM is a horrible idea. Very rarely works out. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd be fine w/ MM taking on more of an architect role, and delegated his gameday workload more.

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No thanks, he needs to focus on figuring out how to bring this offense back to what it once was. He sits in the draft room and he can give he two cents there. 

Little bit of biographical info on the 3 in-house GM candidates....at least those that we think are the leading candidates

Eliot Wolf -- 35 years old

Started with GB in 2004 as pro personnel assistant

2008 became Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

2011 became Assistant Director of Player Personnel

2015 became Director of Player Personnel

2016 became Director-Football Operation

Brian Gutekunst -- 44 years old (Father was HC of University of Minnesota FB team)

Played FB at UW Lacrosse and served as an assistant coach including the 1995 National championship team

1998 scouting assistant with KC

1999 joined GB as a college scout for East Coast of US

2012 Director of College Scouting for GB

Russ Ball --  age 58

Played Center of Central Missouri Mules

1982-1989 was Head Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Missouri Tigers

1989-1999 was with KC Chiefs as assistant strength and conditioning coach and administrative assistant to HC

1999 became senior football administrator for Minnesota Vikings

2001 became Director of Football Administration of the Washington Redskins

2002-2007 worked with New Orleans Saints as Senior Football Administrator, later as Vice President of Football Administration

2008 became Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance for GB Packers

Just now, Packerraymond said:

No thanks, he needs to focus on figuring out how to bring this offense back to what it once was. He sits in the draft room and he can give he two cents there. 

Maybe the reason the offense isn't what it once was is because over the past four drafts, we've used two 1st-4th round picks on offensive players. 

Mike McCarthy running free agency, the draft and having the ability to use free agency in-season does not impact Mike McCarthy the coach in a negative way. 

8 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I still have PTSD from Sherman having dual roles so I'd rather NOT see that again in GB

Archived