Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

8 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

DANG!

I wanted you guys to keep him forever. He sucked butts! So overrated.

PS. I'm a Vikings fan.

suck butt is an aggressive accusation, but im w/ you homie. my enthusiasm for football has faded, but im kinda excited bout it again. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Little bit of biographical info on the 3 in-house GM candidates....at least those that we think are the leading candidates

Eliot Wolf -- 35 years old

Started with GB in 2004 as pro personnel assistant

2008 became Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

2011 became Assistant Director of Player Personnel

2015 became Director of Player Personnel

2016 became Director-Football Operation

Brian Gutekunst -- 44 years old (Father was HC of University of Minnesota FB team)

Played FB at UW Lacrosse and served as an assistant coach including the 1995 National championship team

1998 scouting assistant with KC

1999 joined GB as a college scout for East Coast of US

2012 Director of College Scouting for GB

Russ Ball --  age 58

Played Center of Central Missouri Mules

1982-1989 was Head Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Missouri Tigers

1989-1999 was with KC Chiefs as assistant strength and conditioning coach and administrative assistant to HC

1999 became senior football administrator for Minnesota Vikings

2001 became Director of Football Administration of the Washington Redskins

2002-2007 worked with New Orleans Saints as Senior Football Administrator, later as Vice President of Football Administration

2008 became Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance for GB Packers

I think, on paper, Ball appears to be the best candidate. Luckily though our decision makers are intimately familiar with all of them and have an idea what sort of GM's they'd actually make.

I'm really going to love the Vikings being one and done and then losing all three of their quarterbacks this offseason with the way their fans have become emboldened, acting like they're somehow the class of the division for the foreseeable future. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Russ Ball --  age 58

1989-1999 was with KC Chiefs as assistant strength and conditioning coach and administrative assistant to HC

2002-2007 worked with New Orleans Saints as Senior Football Administrator, later as Vice President of Football Administration

2008 became Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance for GB Packers

more i sit on it, the more i really want this to be the move. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:
4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Little bit of biographical info on the 3 in-house GM candidates....at least those that we think are the leading candidates

Eliot Wolf -- 35 years old

Started with GB in 2004 as pro personnel assistant

2008 became Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

2011 became Assistant Director of Player Personnel

2015 became Director of Player Personnel

2016 became Director-Football Operation

Brian Gutekunst -- 44 years old (Father was HC of University of Minnesota FB team)

Played FB at UW Lacrosse and served as an assistant coach including the 1995 National championship team

1998 scouting assistant with KC

1999 joined GB as a college scout for East Coast of US

2012 Director of College Scouting for GB

Russ Ball --  age 58

I think, on paper, Ball appears to be the best candidate. Luckily though our decision makers are intimately familiar with all of them and have an idea what sort of GM's they'd actually make.

Ball certainly has a longer "resume" being in his 50's vs the others being 10 and 20 years younger.  Ultimately it comes down to the individual abilities of each and how them can work within the organization.   

The idea of having MM with more power/responsibility  when there are 2, even 3 viable in-house candidates to be the GM seems foolish.  

Let MM be the HC and focus on getting the best out of the team and have someone else do the work on scouting, and drafting, etc.  It worked rather well in the past with MM and TT, moving off that seems like a bad idea.

14 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

DANG!

I wanted you guys to keep him forever. He sucked butts! So overrated.

PS. I'm a Vikings fan.

I know, Viking fans are suddenly thinking they better win it all this season now that the complacency era is over in Green Bay.

The return of Aaron along with a new and improved front office will rejuvenate the entire Packer franchise.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

The gambler in me wants Wolf: I *assume* he is a more aggressive high risk/high reward guy which I relate to

The strategist in me wants Ball: I *assume* he is a steadier, more wise/rational actor

At the end of the day - when one scout is pounding the table for one guy, and another scout is pounding the table for another guy, I don't want the final decision to be made by a capologist

Archived