Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gonna say with McCloughan, his "drinking problems" might not be 100% legitimate. Bruce Allen does some shady ****.

Not saying he hasn't had the issues, just that I would be hesitant to write him off for that reason.

Yeah I googled it and he's sueing them. I wasn't aware. I remember him denying it right away but never heard anything else

Just now, squire12 said:

very possible, OR GB knew they needed to get those players extended and be able to put some of the prorated SB into the 2017 season.

There's not really a benefit any more for front loading contracts. 

Those were probably the deals they felt that they NEEDED to get done just in case they can't sign any Free Agents during the GM search.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's not really a benefit any more for front loading contracts. 

Those were probably the deals they felt that they NEEDED to get done just in case they can't sign any Free Agents during the GM search.

Moving the SB prorated amount to the extra year is a benefit.  

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gonna say with McCloughan, his "drinking problems" might not be 100% legitimate. Bruce Allen does some shady ****.

Not saying he hasn't had the issues, just that I would be hesitant to write him off for that reason.

He had the issues in the past(with the Niners) and then got help and was out of the league for a few yrs. He got slandered by the Redskins as they ousted him for no good reason. Snyder/Bruce Allen are snakes and are hated by their own fan base for a reason.

I don't see him getting the gig but I would be all for bringing him into the FO in some capacity.

This is one of the craziest days as a Packer fan that I can remember. I’ve been calling for change for awhile now and it’s finally happening! Ted deserves a lot of credit for our success, but it was time.

Hoping for Wolfe or Schneider based upon the little info I have 

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Moving the SB prorated amount to the extra year is a benefit.  

So we put the SB prorated money onto this year's cap. . . And what? We just have less money to roll over into next year. It doesn't do any good.

I guess it does you a little bit of good on terminating the contract via cut/trade/retirement, but that seems like a very minimal advantage.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So we put the SB prorated money onto this year's cap. . . And what? We just have less money to roll over into next year. It doesn't do any good.

It reduces the cap for the remaining years of the deal and if things go bad, there is less dead cap if you need to cut the player.   I agree it is not a huge amount of $$, but it can add up eventually

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Care to expand on why?  Just curious on the reasoning.  

He's the salary cap guy. I know he's damn good at what he does, but I just don't see that as being grounds for him to be the GM. I want the GM to be like Ted, a scout.

32 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Hadn't even thought about the fact Mike could still be fired until this...

Not sure anyone has thought of this, but the WTMJ article on candidates to take over mentioned McCarthy could get extended powers, and that Marvin Lewis may be our next DC and an assitant GM .. sound a little crazy, but an interesting read.

Mike McCarthy. Yes, the team's own head coach could add a title of executive vice president of football operations after 12 years at the helm, directing nine teams to the playoffs in that span. He has had to be, in the words of Bill Parcells, the team's cook, so the theory would be that he could finally "shop for the groceries" This could lead to Wolf being the GM as well, but working essentially FOR McCarthy instead of the traditional reversal of roles. This would be a setup much like what you see with Bill Belichick in New England, or the NBA's San Antonio Spurs with Gregg Popovich having player personnel staff be tasked and trusted with finding the right players, but with a coach's overseeing approval. Such a situation could also lead to the movement of Marvin Lewis from his coaching job in Cincinnati to play a role of defensive coordinator/assistant GM in Green Bay.

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/who-might-be-the-green-bay-packers-next-gm-replacing-ted-thompson

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Not sure anyone has thought of this, but the WTMJ article on candidates to take over mentioned McCarthy could get extended powers, and that Marvin Lewis may be our next DC and an assitant GM .. sound a little crazy, but an interesting read.

Mike McCarthy. Yes, the team's own head coach could add a title of executive vice president of football operations after 12 years at the helm, directing nine teams to the playoffs in that span. He has had to be, in the words of Bill Parcells, the team's cook, so the theory would be that he could finally "shop for the groceries" This could lead to Wolf being the GM as well, but working essentially FOR McCarthy instead of the traditional reversal of roles. This would be a setup much like what you see with Bill Belichick in New England, or the NBA's San Antonio Spurs with Gregg Popovich having player personnel staff be tasked and trusted with finding the right players, but with a coach's overseeing approval. Such a situation could also lead to the movement of Marvin Lewis from his coaching job in Cincinnati to play a role of defensive coordinator/assistant GM in Green Bay.

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/who-might-be-the-green-bay-packers-next-gm-replacing-ted-thompson

So much nope. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yes! I want the guy who calls screens to Richard Rodgers and Fullback dives to have more say in decision-making! 

Archived