Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Sorry if this has already been posted. I dont have time to check. From McGinn

Sources with intimate knowledge of the Packers expressed confidence that Russ Ball will be the Packers’ next general manager and Brian Gutekunst will be his lead personnel man with a title along the lines of executive vice president of football operations.

In other words, it appears to be Ball’s job to lose during the interview process.

If Eliot Wolf remains on staff, sources said he also would play a prominent role behind Ball and Gutekunst. Friends of Wolf, however, said he probably would look for another job immediately if passed over for the GM job held in Green Bay from 1991-’01 by his father, Ron.

On Thursday, McCarthy and team president Mark Murphy were among those that interviewed in-house candidates for GM. Late Thursday morning, McCarthy took advantage of his annual post-season press conference to use the word fit seven times to describe what he hopes to find with Ted Thompson’s successor.

“I love it here, I want to be here, but it has to fit for me, too,” said McCarthy. “I’ve done this long enough. I wouldn’t want the GM to hire me or partner with me if we don’t fit together.”

The problem for McCarthy, and presumably the Packers, is that McCarthy and Ball don’t appear to be nearly as close as they were just a few years ago.

In fact, McCarthy told members of his staff Thursday that if Ball became GM he planned to leave Green Bay for another job, according to a source.

“Russ and Mike were really tight,” said a mutual friend. “But they’ve not seen eye-to-eye in a couple years.”

30 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Not advocating for Schneider or defending his poor drafts, just noting that there has been plenty of support for the Packers former GM despite plenty of poor drafts, nary a single player trade, and less free agent activity than 31 other GMs.

Also, just pointing out that Schneider's record in Seattle has been better than Ted's record in Green Bay.

And take a look at Ted's defenses the past 7 years, B R U T A L, and get back to us.

Nope

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why not?

because he's missing the forest for the trees.

it's obvious he ignores draft capital as a real thing that has an impact on team-building when it comes to Ted Thompson. Now w/ the same effect from Schneider staring him in the face he tries to hold him up despite damning evidence that JS isn't in TT's league.

In his world there is only one successful season for both GMs. And Schneider's record is falling precipitously.

24 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Sorry if this has already been posted. I dont have time to check. From McGinn

Sources with intimate knowledge of the Packers expressed confidence that Russ Ball will be the Packers’ next general manager and Brian Gutekunst will be his lead personnel man with a title along the lines of executive vice president of football operations.

In other words, it appears to be Ball’s job to lose during the interview process.

If Eliot Wolf remains on staff, sources said he also would play a prominent role behind Ball and Gutekunst. Friends of Wolf, however, said he probably would look for another job immediately if passed over for the GM job held in Green Bay from 1991-’01 by his father, Ron.

On Thursday, McCarthy and team president Mark Murphy were among those that interviewed in-house candidates for GM. Late Thursday morning, McCarthy took advantage of his annual post-season press conference to use the word fit seven times to describe what he hopes to find with Ted Thompson’s successor.

“I love it here, I want to be here, but it has to fit for me, too,” said McCarthy. “I’ve done this long enough. I wouldn’t want the GM to hire me or partner with me if we don’t fit together.”

The problem for McCarthy, and presumably the Packers, is that McCarthy and Ball don’t appear to be nearly as close as they were just a few years ago.

In fact, McCarthy told members of his staff Thursday that if Ball became GM he planned to leave Green Bay for another job, according to a source.

“Russ and Mike were really tight,” said a mutual friend. “But they’ve not seen eye-to-eye in a couple years.”

Wow... if that’s the case, idk how Ball can be the leading candidate if they extended MM. just sign Wolf please

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lolz. That 7-9 season doesn't count.

Lolz.

Of course the 2010 season when the Seahawks beat the defending SB champs New Orleans in the playoffs wouldn't count as a playoff appearance to the Ted fans looking to disparage Schneider.

Conversely, Ted's 2013 Packer team that finished 8-7-1 and won a miserable NFC North and then immediately exited the playoffs must be trumpeted as a great, great accomplishment, because hey the Pack made the playoffs that year.

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Lolz.

Of course the 2010 season when the Seahawks beat the defending SB champs New Orleans in the playoffs wouldn't count as a playoff appearance to the Ted fans looking to disparage Schneider.

Conversely, Ted's 2013 Packer team that finished 8-7-1 and won a miserable NFC North and then immediately exited the playoffs must be trumpeted as a great, great accomplishment, because hey the Pack made the playoffs that year.

so obsessed w/ TT aren't you :)

This is a John Schneider discussion you inserted yourself into with your tired, regurgitated, simple opinion (again).

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Lolz.

Two less losses is a more significant playoff appearance no matter how many LOLZ you use. 

Can we stop quoting him?  Please? 

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

because he's missing the forest for the trees.

it's obvious he ignores draft capital as a real thing that has an impact on team-building when it comes to Ted Thompson. Now w/ the same effect from Schneider staring him in the face he tries to hold him up despite damning evidence that JS isn't in TT's league.

In his world there is only one successful season for both GMs. And Schneider's record is falling precipitously.

I guess I should sift through that info I pulled up a few months back and really finalize the CaV per draft capital of teams.  There will be obvious issues with how it' done, so I will take suggestions on ways to do it.

How many years to include?  2005 to 2015 seems right.  Including 2016 and 2017 affects teams with high capital but the players CaV will be really low. 

But....leaving out some players picked prior to 2005 affects those teams.....Brady, Brees, Eli, Rivers, Big Ben, etc.

Not all GM have been with their teams that long.

Open to suggestions.

Just now, squire12 said:

I guess I should sift through that info I pulled up a few months back and really finalize the CaV per draft capital of teams.  There will be obvious issues with how it' done, so I will take suggestions on ways to do it.

How many years to include?  2005 to 2015 seems right.  Including 2016 and 2017 affects teams with high capital but the players CaV will be really low. 

But....leaving out some players picked prior to 2005 affects those teams.....Brady, Brees, Eli, Rivers, Big Ben, etc.

Not all GM have been with their teams that long.

Open to suggestions.

What you did was plenty enough to showcase this effect already. He just continues to ignore reality and what your work already elucidated.

Just now, incognito_man said:

What you did was plenty enough to showcase this effect already. He just continues to ignore reality and what your work already elucidated.

Well....I feel a final go over now that TT is stepping down as GB GM might be nice.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Well....I feel a final go over now that TT is stepping down as GB GM might be nice.

i'd still just recommend using ONLY the simple draft capital acquired for where a team picks as the denominator. I'd use just that as the input. And then total CaV of every player draft a numerator.

Could do it be year and throughout career.

Gives pure insight to how raw capital is acquired by a GM relative to granted capital.

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is a John Schneider discussion you inserted yourself into with your tired, regurgitated, simple opinion (again).

Just pointing out that saying Schneider has missed the playoffs with the Seahawks as many times as Ted missed the playoffs with the Packers is a flat out misrepresentation of indisputable facts no matter how much better it makes the Ted fans feel.

Archived