Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hope they give Jones the full opportunity to be the go-to guy. I like Williams' versatility and he improved as a runner by the end of the season but for me there was just no comparison between him and Jones as a true running threat. Jones has the vision, bounce, and explosion we haven't had at the position since Ahman. He'd be my No. 1 going into camp followed by Williams. Monty would have a third down role with some slot play as well (basically a James White). 

I just hope Jones doesnt turn out to be "Ty2" when it comes to being able to stay healthy. I like what Jones can give us - but he's gotta be healthy and on the field to do it.

At this juncture the only RB I have any faith in (in this "stay healthy" regard) is Williams.

Add on edit: and although I like him, Williams is no game breaker.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I just hope Jones doesnt turn out to be "Ty2" when it comes to being able to stay healthy. I like what Jones can give us - but he's gotta be healthy and on the field to do it.

At this juncture the only RB I have any faith in (in this "stay healthy" regard) is Williams.

Add on edit: and although I like him, Williams is no game breaker.

Remember when Jones got his chance in 2017 was when Williams got injured?   Not sure why that would give you reason to feel he could "stay healthy" over 1 of the other RB's

Just now, squire12 said:

Remember when Jones got his chance in 2017 was when Williams got injured?   Not sure why that would give you reason to feel he could "stay healthy" over 1 of the other RB's

It's called "I got a feeling about it"

24 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Wait. Am I misunderstand you - or you me?

Montgomery was our RB 1 and dominating the carries (what there was of them). Willams was getting a carry or two until game 4 - Chicago when Jones - not Williams took over.

If Williams was "out injured" at that point it was somewhat irrelevant as he wasnt getting reps of any number anyway. 

Whatever injuries Williams had were - dare I say...of the superficial kind? - whereas Jones went down for extended periods with knee injuries - and I THINK he's suffered them in college as well. I just hope it doesnt become common practice for him.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Wait. Am I misunderstand you - or you me?

Montgomery was our RB 1 and dominating the carries (what there was of them). Willams was getting a carry or two until game 4 - Chicago when Jones - not Williams took over.

If Williams was "out injured" at that point it was somewhat irrelevant as he wasnt getting reps of any number anyway. 

Whatever injuries Williams had were - dare I say...of the superficial kind? - whereas Jones went down for extended periods with knee injuries - and I THINK he's suffered them in college as well. I just hope it doesnt become common practice for him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951678

The 1st GB vs CHI game in 2017.   Montgomery was the starter,  had a nice start and then was injured with broken ribs and did not return.  The next RB is was Jamaal Williams.

2nd drive: Williams with 1 carry

3rd drive: Williams with 1 carry

4th drive:  Williams with 1 carry and 1 reception

5th drive:  Williams with 1 carry and injured on play

1st and 10 at GB 5

(11:12 - 2nd) J.Williams left guard to GB 8 for 3 yards (M.Unrein; D.Trevathan). GB-J.Williams was injured during the play. He is Out.

Aaron Jones takes over after that....until he gets injured.

33 minutes ago, squire12 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951678

The 1st GB vs CHI game in 2017.   Montgomery was the starter,  had a nice start and then was injured with broken ribs and did not return.  The next RB is was Jamaal Williams.

2nd drive: Williams with 1 carry

3rd drive: Williams with 1 carry

4th drive:  Williams with 1 carry and 1 reception

5th drive:  Williams with 1 carry and injured on play

Aaron Jones takes over after that....until he gets injured.

Good. I'm glad we agree:

"Montgomery was our RB 1 and dominating the carries (what there was of them). Willams was getting a carry or two until game 4 - Chicago - when Jones - not Williams took over. If Williams was "out injured" at that point it was somewhat irrelevant as he wasnt getting reps of any number anyway"

I hope Jones can stay healthy.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Good. I'm glad we agree:

"Montgomery was our RB 1 and dominating the carries (what there was of them). Willams was getting a carry or two until game 4 - Chicago - when Jones - not Williams took over. If Williams was "out injured" at that point it was somewhat irrelevant as he wasnt getting reps of any number anyway"

I hope Jones can stay healthy.

Jones did not have a carry until Williams got hurt against CHI.  It was Williams injury that opened the door for Jones to get his first regular season NFL carry.

Edited by squire12

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

This is the point....Jones got his shot after Williams was injured vs CHI.  Both had injury issues in 2017.

Just now, squire12 said:

This is the point....Jones got his shot after Williams was injured vs CHI.  Both had injury issues in 2017.

Yes. All the RBs (except Mayes for all I know) suffered injuries in 2017. It happens. Between Williams and Jones - it was Jone's injuries (knees) that were more serious and knocked him out for good. I hope its not a recurring theme / issue with him as I believe he had some knee issues in college as well - but I'm unsure on that.

11 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

What's a superficial injury and how does it knock you out of a game?

Maybe a scrap or cut?  Something like a flesh wound?  Maybe a hang nail or paper cut?

But apparently he was the healthy one of the rookie RB duo that saw more action.

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

Maybe a scrap or cut?  Something like a flesh wound?  Maybe a hang nail or paper cut?

But apparently he was the healthy one of the rookie RB duo that saw more action.

This is inaccurate.

" Last season, Jamaal Williams played the most snaps (441 or 42.1 percent of the offensive plays) and led the team with 556 yards rushing and four touchdowns, yet fellow rookie Aaron Jones (236 snaps, 22.5 percent) -- who got his first chance after Williams' knee injury in Week 4 -- was the most productive with a 5.5-yard average. He also matched Williams with four touchdowns despite a pair of knee injuries. Then there's Ty Montgomery, the converted receiver who won the starting job in training camp but succumbed to rib and wrist injuries after just 275 snaps (26.2 percent)."