Kellen Moore Hired As QB Coach

the lone star

6 hours ago, the lone star said:

Sometimes there are exceptions though. Sean Payton, but then again, he was also AHC when he was here with the Cowboys.

But that's a good point for sure. However, a QB coach will impact the offense more than any other of the positional coaches on that side of the ball. Obviously the OC has more pull, but the QB coach is probably #2. Unless you have someone like Bobby Turner, who I'm sure has some pull with the OC and HC based off of his pedigree.

With that said, I don't disagree with your analysis. Hopefully next year Kellen can prevent Dak from stalling so many drives. Ugh, that was so annoying to watch this season.

A Qb coach is not #2. I mean they can be depending upon experience with their coordinator/HC and experience coaching (for example, Dan Campbell taking over as interim HC from a TE position coach) but it is not because they are QB coach, but because they had been around the team or coaching for a lengthy amount of time. 

Ive been around QB coachs, Ive been an OL coach, a graduate assistant, a scouting assistant, a recruiting assistant, and while never a QB coach, let me.tell you...their influence is identical to any other position coach.

Payton, as you said, was also Assistant Head Coach and assisted with both playcalling duties and gameplanning week to week. 

A position coach has too many other duties. Coordinators have theirs and the head guy has his. A position coach teaches what they are told teach, assembles film and study materials, drills mechanics, reviews system and playcall information, and gives practice, study and player improvement info to the guys above him. A QB coach is not the #2 guy because they coach the QBs. A TE coach or assistant WR coach or anyone with many years experience coaching and teaching and watching their guys develop may have more of.the coordinators ear than the others, but that doesnt fall square to a QB coach just cause they coach QBs.

11 hours ago, the lone star said:

Fair Enough. I hope they're trying to groom him though. That'd be cool. 

He will make a good coach. You could see him most Sundays right in there watching the feed on the tablet, asking questions, giving feedback, etc. He understands football, knows this system and can really contribute as a position coach. Its just a matter of if he has it in him to study even harder than the guys playing - this is where most coaches fail. You have to study more, and work harder in the meetings, filmroom and prep rooms than the players even have to. You become the professor of a subject much more.complex than 90% of fans think it to be, and you have to understand it, teach it and be able to answer all questions about it better than the guys on the field doing it. Its not easy.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:36 AM, Dallas94Ware said:

He will make a good coach. You could see him most Sundays right in there watching the feed on the tablet, asking questions, giving feedback, etc. He understands football, knows this system and can really contribute as a position coach. Its just a matter of if he has it in him to study even harder than the guys playing - this is where most coaches fail. You have to study more, and work harder in the meetings, filmroom and prep rooms than the players even have to. You become the professor of a subject much more.complex than 90% of fans think it to be, and you have to understand it, teach it and be able to answer all questions about it better than the guys on the field doing it. Its not easy.

Well I know that he's certainly up for the task. Hopefully good things result because of it.

Archived