2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Move to a more traditional 4-3 set, move Martinez to WLB where his size is less of a negative. Smith and Martinez can work together and frankly if Chubb Key Ward and Ridley are off the board he's going to be the best player available for us given our needs quite easily for me. I'd argue he's better than Key currently anyway and maybe Ward too. 

Isn't WLB Smith's natural position in a 4-3?

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Chargers were 3rd in points allowed this year and ran an ILB group of Denzel Perryman, Pullard Hayes, and Kyle Emmanuel.

Eagles were 4th in points allowed this year and ran an ILB group of Mychal Kendricks, Dannel Ellerbe, and Nigel Bradham.

Patriots were 5th in points allowed this year and ran an ILB group of Kyle Van Noy, Elandon Roberts, and Marquis Harris.

I don't see how you can say all the really good defenses have really good LBs when 3 of the top 5 are running groups that are average at best??

First off Dont'a Hightower played half the season in the middle for them until his season ending injury, nice try though; 2nd Denzel Perryman without looking I thought was a good football player, who only played a handful of games this year. And Minnesota, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Baltimore, Pittsburgh the other 5 teams in your top defenses all have good to great inside backers. Just take a look at how the Steelers defense took a hit once Shazier has gone down. I'm not saying that Inside backers are the most important position on defense, I'm saying that you need good players across the board. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

ILB in the first would be a completely wasted pick w/ Martinez on this roster.

You do realized in a 3-4 defense you have 2 ILB's correct? You do realize that a guy like Roguan Smith could probably move to 3, 4 positions on this defense? Your telling me Blake Martinez can't play SLB in a 4-3 if we make a switch? We need a induction of speed on our defense. 

3 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

You do realized in a 3-4 defense you have 2 ILB's correct? You do realize that a guy like Roguan Smith could probably move to 3, 4 positions on this defense? Your telling me Blake Martinez can't play SLB in a 4-3 if we make a switch? We need a induction of speed on our defense. 

how many snaps did jake ryan get this season?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Jake Ryan is a slightly below-average NFL football player at best and is a LIABILITY in coverage. Now ask me a different question that pertains to what we are talking about?

Just now, cooters22 said:

Jake Ryan is a slightly below-average NFL football player at best and is a LIABILITY in coverage. Now ask me a different question that pertains to what we are talking about?

jake ryan is LB #2. The whole point here is that 2 LBs don't get a lot of snaps here.

Unless you want to change schemes, which is possible. But the #2 ILB on most teams doesn't get a lot of snaps these days.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

But if you are trying to say that if we drafted Roquon Smith, yes he'd play a lot more snaps than Jake Ryan. I guess maybe he'd take snaps away from Morgan Burnett, heck I believe he's good enough that he'll take plays away from Blake Martinez. I do understand with what you are saying, why draft a guy if he is only on the field 50% of the time, and that's justified. But Roquon wouldn't be the guy coming off the field, trust me I think he's going to be that good. Why draft a NT early? 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

jake ryan is LB #2. The whole point here is that 2 LBs don't get a lot of snaps here.

Unless you want to change schemes, which is possible. But the #2 ILB on most teams doesn't get a lot of snaps these days.

I think Blake and Roquon would both stay on the field on passing downs. We need a upgrade over Joe Thomas and it's possible Morgan Burnett isn't going to be on this football season anymore. And to be honest with you at the end of the day, I'd assume Roquon could would be a better pass rusher than Kyle Fackrell. I'm not saying grab a Inside backer early, I'm just saying let's start drafting good football players. Back in 2007 we were so determined to grab a DL in the first, that we drafted a Justin Harrell over a Mr. Jon Beason. 

3 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

But if you are trying to say that if we drafted Roquon Smith, yes he'd play a lot more snaps than Jake Ryan. I guess maybe he'd take snaps away from Morgan Burnett, heck I believe he's good enough that he'll take plays away from Blake Martinez. I do understand with what you are saying, why draft a guy if he is only on the field 50% of the time, and that's justified. But Roquon wouldn't be the guy coming off the field, trust me I think he's going to be that good. Why draft a NT early? 

I still don't see the value there. Why would we want Martinez on the bench?

It's not like pass-rushing, WR or CBs where you use a LOT of the same position throughout the game.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I still don't see the value there. Why would we want Martinez on the bench?

It's not like pass-rushing, WR or CBs where you use a LOT of the same position throughout the game.

In theory you wouldn't, he's a heck of a football player and only getting better. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Adding speed and playmaking ability to the middle of your defense can't possibly be a wasted pick. Especially on a defense like ours in its current state. If you like other guys better, fine, but cmon.

Speed at ILB is always good. everyone would like a Luke Kuechly type.

However, with Josh Jones (4.41 40 time) on the roster, I'd not go ILB  again, until he has proven he cannot handle it there. Therefore I'd put a hold on the demand for a high pick at the ILB position until seeing him play all next season.

Just now, cooters22 said:

In theory you wouldn't, he's a heck of a football player and only getting better. 

If the guy has rush potential then absolutely he's worth the pick. I haven't watched him though, so I have no opinion on that. If he's a pure inside guy, I just don't see the value.

If he's a pure inside guy but has great 3-down potential, then I'd warm to it somewhat.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

If the guy has rush potential then absolutely he's worth the pick. I haven't watched him though, so I have no opinion on that. If he's a pure inside guy, I just don't see the value.

If he's a pure inside guy but has great 3-down potential, then I'd warm to it somewhat.

He was a LB ATH highschool recruit. The kid is very athletic.

Archived