2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

20 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

No, but Quenton Nelson is, and  has already been criticized for being a guard. 

I'm just saying, if a guy like Calvin Ridley is the BPA, I'm not going to scoff at the fact he's a WR etc. 

Yea, both Nelson and Ridley probably have to be considered. 

N

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yea, both Nelson and Ridley probably have to be considered. 

Name a single guard that was worth a top 14 pick.  I'll wait.  Forever.

If he's worth it, you just spent a 14th overall pick on five years for the least important position on the offensive line because if he's worth it, he's pricing himself out of a second contract. 

Literally nobody has been able to dispute the HISTORY OF THE NFL THAT SHOWS THAT GUARD IS NOT WORTH A 14TH OVERALL PICK.  Unless you think Nelson is the best guard in the history of the NFL, he's not worth it, so quit bringing it up. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Kuechly was top 10. Shazier and Mosley were in the 15 area. If Smith's combine goes well he may not even make to it 14. If he does, I don't see him lasting to 20.

And do any of these guys take an average/below average defense to an above average/great defense? Maybe Kuechly? Maybe? Not enough impact from ILB, plus Blake is good enough.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

N

If he's worth it, you just spent a 14th overall pick on five years for the least important position on the offensive line because if he's worth it, he's pricing himself out of a second contract. 

Literally nobody has been able to dispute the HISTORY OF THE NFL THAT SHOWS THAT GUARD IS NOT WORTH A 14TH OVERALL PICK.  Unless you think Nelson is the best guard in the history of the NFL, he's not worth it, so quit bringing it up. 

So aggressive. Relax. 

10 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

And do any of these guys take an average/below average defense to an above average/great defense? Maybe Kuechly? Maybe? Not enough impact from ILB, plus Blake is good enough.

Martinez had a good year. Still think he needs work in coverage.

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll relax once somebody shows me a single example where taking a guard top 14 has been a good idea once in the 100 year history of the NFL. 

Yep especially when we keep getting fed this crap. Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper (college guards) who are going to be the next great one. Some are good players, but half of them are busts. Your best NFL guards are college tackles. Imagine being tricked into taking Nelson top 10. Couldn't be me.

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

N

See Iupati, for how that happens in the real world.

49ers couldn't/wouldn't hang onto him for his second contract.

17 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

N

Lol. I said he probably has to be considered. The guy is Zach Martin 2.0. You don't ignore talent. I didn't say I'd favor the pick.

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll relax once somebody shows me a single example where taking a guard top 14 has been a good idea once in the 100 year history of the NFL. 

I'm sure you could find some early on in the NFL when it was more a running-dominated league.

Lol. I said he probably has to be considered. The guy is Zach Martin 2.0. You don't ignore talent. I didn't say I'd favor the pick.

It's not just that he's got value.  It has to be overwhelmingly more valuable.

3 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I think he's fine. He has the ability, covered CMC. Dude can cover.

Then you and I disagree on where Martinez is as an overall player. Probably explains why you wouldn't want Roquan but I would.

And I'm saying it doesn't have to be considered until you can name a single time when a guard was ever worth a top 14 pick. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm sure you could find some early on in the NFL when it was more a running-dominated league.

Then find one.  If you can't find one from before 1970... You'll never find one, and Nelson won't be one. 

Archived