Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

1 minute ago, Akomplice said:

I mean at the end of the day, Skrine is in his final year. Knows the system and it's not like the free agency is overflowing with talent. If the Jets really need to free up his money, he's an easy cut. Now with that being said, I hope he is cut but it's not like he has an albatross contract and we're missing our chance to get out of it.

8.5 million with bottom 3rd CB play while not even playing on the outside?  That is a horrifying contract.  Add in that he is a penalty machine.  He had the 8th most penalties against in the NFL of any position and #1 out of all DB's... that is CB's and safties.  He had 11 penalties, the next one down was 9.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

8.5 million with bottom 3rd CB play while not even playing on the outside?  That is a horrifying contract.  Add in that he is a penalty machine.  He had the 8th most penalties against in the NFL of any position and #1 out of all DB's... that is CB's and safties.  He had 11 penalties, the next one down was 9.

If I told you, you have to spend a 80 million dollar in contracts this year. Would you be able to do it? In this scenario there is no signing Cousins, are you going to overpay everyone for the sake of overpaying. Skrine has been a penalty magnet his entire career and most were happy when we signed him. He's a physical CB and the slot is arguably the hardest CB to play these days. By all accounts he's great in the locker room. Again, he doesn't deserve half of the money he's getting but it's his final year. There's no reason for people to be complaining in February that he hasn't been cut yet.

19 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

If I told you, you have to spend a 80 million dollar in contracts this year. Would you be able to do it? In this scenario there is no signing Cousins, are you going to overpay everyone for the sake of overpaying. Skrine has been a penalty magnet his entire career and most were happy when we signed him. He's a physical CB and the slot is arguably the hardest CB to play these days. By all accounts he's great in the locker room. Again, he doesn't deserve half of the money he's getting but it's his final year. There's no reason for people to be complaining in February that he hasn't been cut yet.

I tend to agree with you. I would not cut Skrine until we have a replacement for him. He may have been a penalty machine but there is no rush to cut him since there is no money triggered at the start of the league year. 

18 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

Well..... ya it is easy to spend 80 million these days.  Just because some guys in then locker room like Skrine is no reason to keep him.  Aaron Colvin and Nickell Robey Coleman were both super effective in the slot last year both while only getting 2 (Colvin) and 4 (NRC) penalties a piece on the year.  They will probably get around 8-11 million dollars a year, the 6 mill we save on Skrine this year goes a long way to signing guys who are better and each around 3 years younger.

Just now, rampantjet said:

Well..... ya it is easy to spend 80 million these days.  Just because some guys in then locker room like Skrine is no reason to keep him.  Aaron Colvin and Nickell Robey Coleman were both super effective in the slot last year both while only getting 2 (Colvin) and 4 (NRC) penalties a piece on the year.  They will probably get around 8-11 million dollars a year, the 6 mill we save on Skrine this year goes a long way to signing guys who are better and each around 3 years younger.

Then you cut Skrine when you sign those players, why cut him now? You'd make it so those FAs have more leverage in negotiations or we need to spend a draft pick to replace the position.

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Try and sign those guys first before cutting Skrine.

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Even if we don't sign them Skrine is playing below the random replacement level.  I'd rather have the 6 mill and give a young unknown the chance.

Unless you are planning to actually use the 6M you save there is zero reason to cut Skrine. Don't make a move until you need to. I fully expect Macc to do this because it is what he did with the cuts he's made in the past.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Unless you are planning to actually use the 6M you save there is zero reason to cut Skrine. Don't make a move until you need to. I fully expect Macc to do this because it is what he did with the cuts he's made in the past.

CB is one of the few positions in this FA that is stacked with good/decent guys.  That plus the draft....... if we can't replace Skrine's level of production then everyone should be fired.  

13 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

CB is one of the few positions in this FA that is stacked with good/decent guys.  That plus the draft....... if we can't replace Skrine's level of production then everyone should be fired.  

Agreed. But that doesn’t mean cut him before he’s replaced. Macc has shown this in his time here. Look at Gilchrist last year for example.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But that doesn’t mean cut him before he’s replaced. Macc has shown this in his time here. Look at Gilchrist last year for example.

Do we know if/when Skrine has any bonus' or anything like that that makes him have more dead money?  A lot of guys have that sort of thing in their contract.  If he does I say cut him right now.  If he doesn't I am fine waiting, but I would be really disappointed if he is on the team to start next season.

7 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Do we know if/when Skrine has any bonus' or anything like that that makes him have more dead money?  A lot of guys have that sort of thing in their contract.  If he does I say cut him right now.  If he doesn't I am fine waiting, but I would be really disappointed if he is on the team to start next season.

Honestly I’m not sure. But I guarantee we won’t pay him anymore than we have to. I doubt we keep him around for any bonus he’d have coming his way. I’m confident he will get cut... but maybe not until FA opens and we get a CB or 2.

32 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

He doesn't have any bonus' due, this is what I'm trying to say. There is no need to cut him until we need the money.

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Caldwell making it sound like Colvin won't be leaving Jacksonville, I been calling for Robey-Coleman as I think he'd be awesome here. But again does cutting Skrine really go along way. Not even being a ****, could you even do a realistic mock in which we spend 80 million dollars? That's a TON of money. Even when the Giants spent 200 million dollars on defense they didn't even come close to spending 80 million. I'd venture that the Eagles "Dream Team" offseason didn't even come close to that.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. Macc has shown he doesn’t like to cut guys until they’re replaced. Could see the same with Kearse at WR.

Kearse was a pleasant surprise last year. No way he should be cut. Our offensive roster as it is now is very weak. Our whole offensive has to be rebuilt. Lousy drafting thru the past decade has put us in a major hole. With all the high first round picks we had on defensive and we were rank only 25 in the NFL last year, that is flat out pathetic. If we had any kind of owner, he should have clean house starting with the scouting department.

Archived