1st overall Pick: Jackson or Barkley

kingomi87

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

Read this article, or any rookie rankings for 2018 fantasy. Jackson isn't anywhere near worth a first round pick. You will be severely handcuffing yourself, and, quite honestly, the laughingstock of your league if you take Jackson with the first pick.

Did you mean to post an article?

Could you give me some reasons as to why Jackson would be a bad pick?  I for one (and I know you are going to call me crazy, but I feel as if Jackson has shown enough this season to warrant being the best Qb in this years draft class as well as the best RB (yes the best RB), ahead of Saquon Barkley.  LJ has showed a dramatic improvement with his passing compared to last year and I believe with his skill set he will definitely get better, especially if he falls to the right team and gets proper coaching.  Last year, the "experts" said that the qb draft class wasn't very strong and look at guys like Mitchell Tribusky, Deshaun Watson, heck even Pat Mahomes has shown that he has Aaron Rodger type skills coming out of the draft.  My point is, you never really know how a player will turn out until they play in the NFL.  With LJ's skill set, If he can improve his passing as well as his smarts, how would any defense stop him?  That is what I am essentially gambling on when I think about who take at 1st overall.

Let me ask you this, who has a higher ceiling, LJ or Barkley?

1 minute ago, kingomi87 said:

Did you mean to post an article?

Could you give me some reasons as to why Jackson would be a bad pick?  I for one (and I know you are going to call me crazy, but I feel as if Jackson has shown enough this season to warrant being the best Qb in this years draft class as well as the best RB (yes the best RB), ahead of Saquon Barkley.  LJ has showed a dramatic improvement with his passing compared to last year and I believe with his skill set he will definitely get better, especially if he falls to the right team and gets proper coaching.  Last year, the "experts" said that the qb draft class wasn't very strong and look at guys like Mitchell Tribusky, Deshaun Watson, heck even Pat Mahomes has shown that he has Aaron Rodger type skills coming out of the draft.  My point is, you never really know how a player will turn out until they play in the NFL.  With LJ's skill set, If he can improve his passing as well as his smarts, how would any defense stop him?  That is what I am essentially gambling on when I think about who take at 1st overall.

Let me ask you this, who has a higher ceiling, LJ or Barkley?

Barkley. 

LJ is RG3. QBs don’t go in the first round of ROOKIE drafts, let alone a 6 keeper league draft. LJ will probably be there in the 4th or 5th round of your draft, in fact I guarantee it. He might not even be an NFL first rounder.

13 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Soo....I don't get why you think Jackson is that 1.1 can't miss prospect. And I completely understand that your league is QB centric (although you really only listed 6 point QB TDs which skews it but not that much.

Lets list the consensus 1.1 picks the last few years....

2017- Leonard Fournette

2016 - Zeke Elliot

2015 - Todd Gurley

2014 - Sammy Watkins (It wasn't really a consensus year as I fought for Mike Evans)

Now lets list the consensus top QB the last few years...

2017 - Mitch Trubisky (28th)

2016 - Jared Goff (ranked around 21st)

2015 - Jameis Winston (Ranked around 13th)

2014 - Blake Bortles/Teddy Bridgewater (ranked 10/11th ish)

Whoever has pick 1.2 is baiting you to not take Barkley. Traditionally rookie RBs do very well, rookie QBs not so much. Even if you LOVE Jackson he should be available with your second first round pick (and even that is probably high) as he won't be the top ranked QB coming out (see: Darnold, Rosen, Allen) and he might not even be the starter depending on what team he is drafted for. Also as far as never seeing a prospect like Jackson before you're definitely wrong, we've seen similar versions of Jackson with guys like RGIII, Bridgewater, and Kaepernick. 

I really think you're selling yourself too hard into this "QB heavy" thing that's going to hurt your team overall because not only are you considering taking Jackson over Barkley but you're also considering keeping Mahomes on top of that who hasn't even been given the starting job yet. Who else is on your roster that you're not keeping?

FOr every Toddy Gurley, Zeke Elliott, Leonard Fournett there are the Montee Balls, Trent Richardson (highly rated btw) etc.  You just never know.  Through constant chatter throughout the season, I know for a fact that LJ will not last out of the top 5.  While I do agree with you that rookie RBs perform better in their rookie year, I believe that LJ has the higher Ceiling.  He is every bit as good a runner as Saqon is and he plays QB.  Heck he even beat out Saqon in yardage and rushing TDs over the past 2 seasons!!!

The reason why I am keeping Mahomes is simply to hopefully find that Elite Qb so that I can remain competitive.  I have had strong teams in the past heck even this year and I still lost.  I also have multiple late 1st round picks so I will be able to acquire additional depth much earlier in the draft. 

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Barkley. 

LJ is RG3. QBs don’t go in the first round of ROOKIE drafts, let alone a 6 keeper league draft. LJ will probably be there in the 4th or 5th round of your draft, in fact I guarantee it. He might not even be an NFL first rounder.

Although this may be true, I have a feeling in my league he will most definitely go in the 1st round, especially in a 14 team league.  the upside is just far to great.  

I think he is a far better prospect than RG3 and he has a far better arm.  THe last two seasons, LJ has racked up over 10k total yards (passing + rushing) and over 90tds (passing + rushing).  Rg3 was also injury prone, even well before he had gotten to the NFL.  

9 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

Hmmm, Freakishly athletic, runs a fast 40, catches the ball well and is an every down back.  This sort of write up reminds me of the once in a lifetime player known as Reggie Bush.  I recall some that said he was the "Michael Jordan of Football" and look how that turned out.  How can you be so sure that Barkley skill set will translate to the NFL?  You are only speculating.  Bush made people look absolutely silly and some even wanted the Texans to take him 1st overall over Mario Williams back in 06.

I agree with you that the 6pt TD upgrade applies to all QBs, but my point is that if you do not have a legit qb in my fantasy league, then it can be very difficult to win.  a Qb can literally carry the entire roster.  

Serious question, have you ever watched Barkley? He's much closer to Ezekiel Elliott in size, and plays a lot like David Johnson. Look how those two turned out...

I feel like you're just fighting everyone's answers because your mind is already made up. You're right, I'm only speculating. That's all anyone can do right now. You're only speculating about Jackson. How do you know he will translate to the NFL, especially when NFL teams aren't even sure about him.

Bottom line is I would rather draft the best RB prospect since AP who will bring fantasy value right out of the gate than the 4th or 5th QB selected in the NFL draft who will most likely start the season on the bench. If you want Jackson, go for it. But if someone in my league does that, he's going to be ridiculed as long as he's in the league for passing up on Barkley.

7 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

Although this may be true, I have a feeling in my league he will most definitely go in the 1st round, especially in a 14 team league.  the upside is just far to great.  

I think he is a far better prospect than RG3 and he has a far better arm.  THe last two seasons, LJ has racked up over 10k total yards (passing + rushing) and over 90tds (passing + rushing).  Rg3 was also injury prone, even well before he had gotten to the NFL.  

You're failing to only look at RGIII as a prospect coming out of college and letting his NFL career influence your opinion. RGIII coming out of college was 5x the prospect Jackson is.

10 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

FOr every Toddy Gurley, Zeke Elliott, Leonard Fournett there are the Montee Balls, Trent Richardson (highly rated btw) etc.  You just never know.  Through constant chatter throughout the season, I know for a fact that LJ will not last out of the top 5.  While I do agree with you that rookie RBs perform better in their rookie year, I believe that LJ has the higher Ceiling.  He is every bit as good a runner as Saqon is and he plays QB.  Heck he even beat out Saqon in yardage and rushing TDs over the past 2 seasons!!!

The reason why I am keeping Mahomes is simply to hopefully find that Elite Qb so that I can remain competitive.  I have had strong teams in the past heck even this year and I still lost.  I also have multiple late 1st round picks so I will be able to acquire additional depth much earlier in the draft. 

You're right....there have been misses, but the vast majority favors the consensus 1.1 pick. I'll keep going....

2013 - Eddie Lacy (Not Montee Ball, 7th) vs EJ Manuel (13th)

2012 - Andrew Luck (Not Trent Richardson) - This is the first year a QB ranked 1.01 and they were calling Luck the next Peyton Manning, the "chatter" isn't anything like that with Jackson.

2011 - Mark Ingram vs Cam Newton (11th) - Hey, Cam has the skillset of Jackson, went first overall in his draft class, and still was the 11th ranked rookie.

2010 - Ryan Mathews vs Jimmy Clausen (8th)

2009 - Knowshon/Crabtree (debated) vs Matt Stafford (10th)

2008 - Darren McFadden vs Matt Ryan (9th)

2007 - Adrian Peterson vs Jamarcus Russell (5th)

I'm not going back any further, I think the ONLY case you have in the last DECADE is Matt Stafford over Knowshon/Crabtree.

I wasn't playing fantasy football in 2001 but if you are that convinced that Mike Vick was the dude you would have taken him over LaDainian Freaking Tomlinson, who is arguably the #1 Fantasy football player of all time.

Like @JonStark said I think you have your mind already made up on this one which is ridiculous considering the draft hasn't even happened yet and all the "chatter" will stop being chatter after the NFL draft actually happens and before your league actually drafts. I don't think this is really worth the debate anymore.

So trade pick 1.1 for one of the top tier QB's that have shown NFL top 5 QB production and you know will be the starter for their NFL team.  Why gamble on Jackson, when you could likely get Rodgers, Wilson, Wentz, Goff, Winston, Goff, Watson, Newton, Ryan, etc

You should be able to make some for some of these QB's and will likely get some interest from their owners.  I would be pretty surprised if you made an offer of pick 1.1 for either Rodgers or Wilson that it would be rejected.....if you sent me that offer, I would auto accept it without hesitation

Man...the team drafting at 1.2 is playing you like a fiddle. There is no chance that 1.2 team will take Jackson...they just know you want Jackson and saying that is the only scenario that he’d get Barkley. Don’t be a fool. I have a sneaky suspicion why you are drafting first if you are legitimately considering Jackson over Barkley without getting a ton in return in the form of a trade. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Joyride15 said:

This thread is an obvious troll. Even if it was 25YO Rodgers vs. Barkley, its Barkley easily.

Thanks for your input but this post isn't trolling.  I do believe that jackson has the higher upside fantasy wise but Barkley is the safer pick as of now.  

3 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

Thanks for your input but this post isn't trolling.  I do believe that jackson has the higher upside fantasy wise but Barkley is the safer pick as of now.  

Unless you start multiple QBs, or if theres atleast 24 teams in your league, QB does not return value relative to replacement.

Archived