The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

MANNNN 

My friend mentioned Suh two weeks ago and I was like NOPE I want another DB Corner or Safety and a RB cause we have ZERO depth behind henry and I mentioned if we get Jones back we should be okay there. And maybe a ILB. He said Jayon would take Averys spot and I was like EHHHH maybe but still 

THEN WE GO OUT AND GET BUTLER AND LEWIS so Im SUPER down with SUH. My god. Rak Casey Jones Suh Morgan  with Butler Ryan Jackson Byard and maybe another rookie  behind them. We would have a LEGIT defense like. OMG OMG OMG

and new UNIs! Im just sayin if the NFL is rigged I think its our turn to BALL OUT!!! LMAO

2 hours ago, VY said:

Dude, the only scenario that matters is "can this guy help us win football games". By every account Kaepernick has been well-liked in the lockerroom. Lord knows he has life experience that a lot of young QB's could learn from. He's played in a Super Bowl. You can't tell me he isn't better than 95% of the backups in the league right now. In a pinch, with a solid cast around him, he gives you a shot. More than Henne or any other chump we've had at #2 in ages. 

To add to that, more than 50% of a team's revenue comes from national TV contracts - team's are making $250M+ annually (and growing) on the national TV deals. That's over triple what they make on ticket sales (in most cases, based on averages). Any lost butts in seats for someone making a silly stand about Kaepernick will be more than covered if it's a winning team in a thriving market, which Nashville certainly is. Ticket sales are becoming less and less important as TV deals grow and the NFL sends teams to other markets to test viability. This should be a football decision, but all these billionaires are too cowardly to do it for fear of an outburst of a vocal if not misled subset of fans. 

We're not winning football games with Colin Kaepernick. If he was winning games he would have never been benched for Blaine Gabbert.

However, veteran QBs work with with scout offense that goes against our starting defense. They've been in situations and can provide mentorship to Mariota. They also aren't going to be bringing the media attention to the backup QB spot. Teams dont want that. 

If Mariota misses any significant amount of time we're done, whether it's Cassel or Kaep. 

Which one helps us improve when Mariota is on the field? If you don't think that scenario matters there's no point in talking to you.

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We're not winning football games with Colin Kaepernick. If he was winning games he would have never been benched for Blaine Gabbert.

However, veteran QBs work with with scout offense that goes against our starting defense. They've been in situations and can provide mentorship to Mariota. They also aren't going to be bringing the media attention to the backup QB spot. Teams dont want that. 

If Mariota misses any significant amount of time we're done, whether it's Cassel or Kaep. 

Which one helps us improve when Mariota is on the field? If you don't think that scenario matters there's no point in talking to you.

It was politics why he was benched for gabbert again the 49ers were trying to go in a different direction because of the idiot GM & Harbaugh. Once they went away from kap the franchise went down ship. Say what you want to say bout kap, but facts are facts you play towards his strengths as a QB he can win games. I believe he’s better than a lot of backup QBs & a few starting QBs.. he’s not a pocket passer neither was Michael Vick in Atlanta & Vick won games. 

23 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Hah, well if that's your argument then again, Kaepernick is a better choice. He has more NFL game experience, actual snaps, than just about any back up. So yes, again, I think he's the best option to give us a shot to win a game as well as provide insight from real NFL experience.

I don't get what you are basing your "analysis" on. Certainly doesn't seem to be objective facts or first hand accounts from his teammates. I honestly think the media stuff is overblown. 

15 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

This is a genuine question, and I'm borderline fascinated by the answer. Do you honestly, honestly believe that Matt Cassel has had any impact on Marcus Mariota's development? That his presence has, in any way, made Marcus Mariota a better football player? Because I just can't imagine it. I just can't picture Mariota sitting down, getting significant advice from an inferior quarterback, and then putting it into use successfully in a game. Especially when their play styles are so wildly different.

And frankly, if we're looking for someone who has been in situations and can act as a sounding board, Kaep has experienced far more highs and lows in his short career than just about any aging, bad quarterback we could possibly bring in. Beyond all of that, there's also the fact that Marcus hasn't actually improved at all during his time with Cassell. So I'm not quite sure where this idea that the veteran backup is providing valuable lessons and mentorship comes from.

As far as how much a backup QB means to the starter... that impact would be minimized with a QB guru as the OC.  

I'd also go after Kaep... I think he'd give us the best option to win if Mariota went down. 

Looks like JRob thinks our window is open now... and he's making a run before he needs to pay Mariota and change the team around.  If the Titans were to get someone like Suh... then they have to get the QB they think would give us the best chance to win if Mariota went down... that's Kaep hands down.  I guess that move/or lack of move will tell me if JRob is going all in now or not.  

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I saw the question earlier about cap space... won't go back to find it now... but my guess is we have about $40M left on the cap after the 4 signings and the cuts right before the start of FA... 

Yeah, my figure was kind of basing it on the AAV of the contracts, which is obviously not how we're operating. I saw A to Z put it at $25M, which seemed a little low. I was leaning $30-35M, but figured I was safer going low.

Just now, ragevsuall17 said:

As far as how much a backup QB means to the starter... that impact would be minimized with a QB guru as the OC.  

There's also this, which I've definitely ignored/neglected to mention. While I don't agree with the argument, I could see the thought process behind the value of a veteran backup when your OC was a WR coach and your QB coach was actually a TE coach. But, thankfully, those days are behind us.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, my figure was kind of basing it on the AAV of the contracts, which is obviously not how we're operating. I saw A to Z put it at $25M, which seemed a little low. I was leaning $30-35M, but figured I was safer going low.

yeah... I'm going by estimates as well... After the cuts, we were about $60M under the cap... Daquan will count about $5M... Lewis about $4M... Butler about $7M... and I'm guessing Kline about $5M... so that's about $21M... the figure is somewhere between $35-$40, closer to $40.

Barring any other major moves, we'll probably carry about $30M over to next season

1 minute ago, ragevsuall17 said:

yeah... I'm going by estimates as well... After the cuts, we were about $60M under the cap... Daquan will count about $5M... Lewis about $4M... Butler about $7M... and I'm guessing Kline about $5M... so that's about $21M... the figure is somewhere between $35-$40, closer to $40.

Barring any other major moves, we'll probably carry about $30M over to next season

This is a question that I could probably google, but you probably have the answer, even though the question itself seems tough to phrase, I'll give it a shot. Can we carry over the carry over from year to year? If that doesn't make sense, feel free to laugh me off.

12 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This is a question that I could probably google, but you probably have the answer, even though the question itself seems tough to phrase, I'll give it a shot. Can we carry over the carry over from year to year? If that doesn't make sense, feel free to laugh me off.

Short answer... Yes.

But I think to avoid that, the carry over money is the first to be "spent" in the cap year... So any carryover is new carryover... If that makes any sense

Just now, ragevsuall17 said:

Short answer... Yes.

But I think to avoid that, the carry over money is the first to be "spent" in the cap year... So any carryover is new carryover... If that makes any sense

Thanks, that makes some semblance of sense. I've genuinely never known, but that certainly makes it easier to avoid any major cap concerns down the line.

Archived