The Packers 2015 Draft

TheOnlyThing

Just now, cannondale said:

I was 2 votes short

I thought this was a forum. If you had a chance to line up anywhere on the field on defense in order to make a play to win a million dollars, where would you choose ? You don't need to be a Hall of Fame player to use common sense or have an opinion. You've exercised your right to do so over 8,000 times. I've exercised mine, and will continue to do so, thank you very much. I'm more Kevin Costner than Owen Wilson

If you want to attack my football oplnion, feel free. Attacking me is against forum rues from what I understand. If I upset you that much feel free to put me on your ignore list. Have a great day

Typical.  I prove your point wrong and you try to say I broke forum rules. 

Ted Thompson was an NFL linebacker.  He put very little value on the ILB position in the NFL.  You say he should know better from experience.  I say he knows better from experience.

It's 2018, not 1988.  The ILB has become the least important position in football. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Typical.  I prove your point wrong and you try to say I broke forum rules. 

Ted Thompson was an NFL linebacker.  He put very little value on the ILB position in the NFL.  You say he should know better from experience.  I say he knows better from experience.

It's 2018, not 1988.  The ILB has become the least important position in football. 

You proved me wrong ? That's a relief. I thought I might be bothered all day wondering about the truth

You proved me wrong ? That's a relief. I thought I might be bothered all day wondering about the truth

Unless you were a professional football player who played LB in the NFL, yes, I proved your logic wrong.  It was a stupid "point" to make. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Unless you were a professional football player who played LB in the NFL, yes, I proved your logic wrong.  It was a stupid "point" to make. 

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night if that makes any difference. Dude I'm over it - like an hour ago

1 hour ago, James Lofton said:

According to Ron Wolf if you can manage to get 3 guys who eventually become starters then you've done a good job as a GM. I'd say this draft qualifies.

The first round guys I wanted include:

Stephone Anthony - not the best stats - only one sack

Eddie Goldman - seems to be good

Probably 2 starters and 2 half starters.

Randall is a starter.  Whether that is 1, 2, or 3 CB, we shall see.  Ripkowski is a starter. He does everything we ask a FB to do.  I think he is a 10 year player for the Packers.

Montgomery and Ryan are the half starters.  They will both have roles on the team.

We can say that this is a successful draft by that measure.  But it is really lackluster.  We have a long term starter at FB.  A non-star CB from our first round.  A rotational ILB. And a RB/WR hybrid who is good when healthy, but often injured.  One of Thompson's worst.  Not as bad as 2011, though Cobb is hands down the best player from both of these drafts.  

2013 is an interesting case for the Packers.  That draft was pretty good, and had contributors.  But only David Bakhtiari, and UDFA Lane Taylor remain 4 years after the draft.  But the team did get some good burn from Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy, Micah Hyde, and JC Tretter.  Even Josh Boyd, Charles Johnson, and Sam Barrington did some stuff.

To look forward:  I think 2016 is looking like a pretty good rebound year from the 2015 class.  I have a fear that the 2017 class may look just as bad as 2015 in a couple of years, I do have high hopes for King, and that we will get some production from Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones.  But we had King, Adams, Biegel hurt for a large portion.  Jones stunk it up, and probably sees the field less if Brice hadn't gotten injured.  Mays, Amichia, Dupre and Yancey were a big fat zero.

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

I never said ILB was more important than other positions, or should be taken in the first round.

The Packers have been weak against the pass over the middle since at least Dom's arrival in 2009.

Is a lot of that on Dom, absolutely.

Is a lot of it because Dom had to play Hawk, Lattimore, Palmer, Ryan, J. Thomas, B. Jones and a series of equally talentless JAGs, absolutely.

I don't foresee Pettine pairing a decent, instinctive but not particularly fast or explosive player in Martinez with a less instinctive and less explosive JAG like Ryan in 2018.

Man it would really chafe some folks, possibly including our newly "reassigned" scouting guru, if Gut took Roquan Smith at 14.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Man it would really chafe some folks, possibly including our newly "reassigned" scouting guru, if Gut took Roquan Smith at 14.

It would chafe you more than anyone because you'd have to admit we should have taken a pass rusher instead. 

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I think 2016 is looking like a pretty good rebound year from the 2015 class.  I have a fear that the 2017 class may look just as bad as 2015 in a couple of years, I do have high hopes for King, and that we will get some production from Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones.  But we had King, Adams, Biegel hurt for a large portion.  Jones stunk it up, and probably sees the field less if Brice hadn't gotten injured.  Mays, Amichia, Dupre and Yancey were a big fat zero.

Agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

Also agree that Clark and Martinez already put the 2016 class ahead of 2015.

But outside of Clark and Martinez, the 2016 draft contains a lot of let's hope they pan out guys.

Spriggs is a big, big?

Lowry, Trevor Davis, Kyle Murphy also remain players who could become bigger contributors, not do any more than they've done, or even see their playing time reduced. 

As for Fackrell, I can't imagine he gets as much playing time in 2018 and it would not shock me if he gets cut.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It would chafe you more than anyone because you'd have to admit we should have taken a pass rusher instead

Not at all.

After witnessing a 6-year drafting for defensive need exercise in failure, if Gut decides Smith is the best player for the Packers at 14, I'll fully support him.

If he decides to go elsewhere, I'll also support that decision.

In Gut I trust.

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

I was 2 votes short

I thought this was a forum. If you had a chance to line up anywhere on the field on defense in order to make a play to win a million dollars, where would you choose ? You don't need to be a Hall of Fame player to use common sense or have an opinion. You've exercised your right to do so over 8,000 times. I've exercised mine, and will continue to do so, thank you very much. I'm more Kevin Costner than Owen Wilson

If you want to attack my football oplnion, feel free. Attacking me is against forum rues from what I understand. If I upset you that much feel free to put me on your ignore list. Have a great day

What position did Matt Millen play?

Were LIons fans out of line for questioning his drafting acumen because Millen played linebacker in the NFL?

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

We draft ILB like it's 1985 instead of 2018. I don't want to say TT kept drafting himself, trying to prove it could work, but it sure felt like it

I'd make the argument that you've got it completely backwards.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd make the argument that you've got it completely backwards.

Well my thought is our ILB's are much better equipped to face Mike Alstott and Matt Suhey than 2017 Atlanta or pretty much anyone else that can isolate our guys

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

Also agree that Clark and Martinez already put the 2016 class ahead of 2015.

But outside of Clark and Martinez, the 2016 draft contains a lot of let's hope they pan out guys.I'

Spriggs is a big, big?

Lowry, Trevor Davis, Kyle Murphy also remain players who could become bigger contributors, not do any more than they've done, or even see their playing time reduced. 

As for Fackrell, I can't imagine he gets as much playing time in 2018 and it would not shock me if he gets cut.

I think for a late 4th, Lowry has been a good return on investment.  Fackrell also probably isn't an issue IF he weren't a top 100 pick.  I kind of think we got Brady Poppinga 2.0.  Brady was a good player, but Brady was  pick 125 while Fackrell was 88.  They also didn't rely on Poppinga to be a pass rusher, he was a 4-3 SAM.  I think Fackrell could be a good role player in the NFL, but he is not suited to what the Packers needed him to do.  I agree that we shouldn't count on Spriggs, but after taking emotion out of it, I think he must have been playing hurt early on.  He was pretty good as a rookie, and fine after his IR time this year.  Kind of like Randall, and to a lesser extent Adams, I think we should probably pump the brakes on Spriggs is terrible, no matter how funny I thought that alt was.

Well my thought is our ILB's are much better equipped to face Mike Alstott and Matt Suhey than 2017 Atlanta or pretty much anyone else that can isolate our guys

I mean, how many teams are utilizing their ILBs as pass defenders?  I'd argue that our ILB's (and by that I really mean Jake Ryan) are more a byproduct of the fact that we play with two down lineman.  If you're using the lighter ILBs, they're going to get ran over.

Archived