The offseason

pwny

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I agree with Hays though about TE. I do think this should be an offense heavy Draft for us. TE, OL, QB, WR ( if Lee is gone) and a RB later.

We do have needs on defense still as well though.  You can't let the health of this year trick you into resting on laurels with that unit - it's the strength of our team, and you've gotta keep that rolling.

Definitely agree with Hays about TE and OL being our top two "premium" needs in the draft.  And agree in general about going Offense heavy.  Like that list of needs (though QB is a wildcard), but there are only so many Top-100ish picks to go around.  The picks where you might reasonably expect the guys to come in and make an impact sooner rather than later, outside of special teams.  And that's before we potentially talk about shipping off a pick for a QB or something.

They've got their work cut out for them to not only sustain what we had and build up the depth we'll need to maintain that level, but actually improve on some spots.  Especially since we'll be picking toward the back end of every round for the first time in forever.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

On signing a vet who is chasing a ring

I have a hard time seeing this one.  This room is clearly being taken over by the youngins (along with the big dollar vets we already have), and i think they're just fine with that.  Hard to see many outside Vets on a last ditch quest for a ring slipping into that defense all that smoothly.  There are only so many starting spots theoretically up for grabs (SLB, NB maybe?)...and bringing in a ring-chasing Vet to a background/depth/benchwarmer role doesn't always go very well.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

On what they would do with Lee/will they target a WR

That sounds promising in terms of letting Lee walk.  It's the right call, putting the eggs in the ARob basket instead.  Really really interesting to see him suggesting WR might be a potential 1st round spend though.  I can see the reasoning behind it, especially if you're trying to hedge against the unknown of how ARob will come back.  But it'd be a bit surprising to me.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

Does Blake get 2-3 year deal at $18-19M AAV?

Good heavens, that 5th year option+franchise tag scenario is an absolutely unfathomably absurd amount of money for a Quarterback that most people still aren't even sure is actually good.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

Blake's mechanics, "not an issue at all this season".  That seems uh...generous.  They weren't a complete and utter laughingstock for the whole season, which is an improvement...but they are absolutely still an issue.  Just watch a cut up reel of Bortles throws and it's still abundantly clear that he's not a natural thrower, and it comes out in a variety of negative ways at different times as he morphs around a variety of inconsistent mechanical glitches.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

These priorities i can get on board with in general.  Still think they might be able to get away with slipping TE to a "top-3 rounds" priority though.  Really hope they can find a way to keep Colvin, at a manageable salary.  He really is a key piece of this defense and would hate to see them creating more important starter holes to fill, when the perfect piece is already right there waiting to re-sign.

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

This is my impression too.  And it's what makes this whole QB thing such an awkward mess.  I'd extend it even further to say, "Blake is either the clear cut starter or he's released."

Salary-wise, you can't afford to bring in any legitimate veteran FA/Trade competition at the pricetag Blake will carry next season.  And i just don't see how bringing in a 1st round rookie "competition" would go anything but poorly, and create a stupid QB controversy the first time Bortles throws a duck or has one of his horribly inept games where he can't hit the broadside of a barn.  A controversy orders of magnitude more disruptive than the goofy Bortles/Henne debacle of 2017.

I just wish it was a clear-cut situation like say KC's situation with Smith and drafting Mahomes to groom behind him.  But instead, it's such a mess that could go horribly wrong in any number of different ways.

14 hours ago, iPwn said:

Would be my assumption too. Another Fournette/Ivory type. We need backs who can smash the rock.

So a late round RB is going to get more looks than the other or is he just a smasher a few times? I mean i get most teams have 4 but if we didnt draft one its not like I’d wonder what they were thinking 

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So a late round RB is going to get more looks than the other or is he just a smasher a few times?

I mean it depends on the player and the situation. But do you really want our team, that’s predicated on being smash mouth at all levels, going multiple games where they don’t have any smash mouth presence on offense if one player goes down? Our entire team make up and ability to play towards strengths would then hinge on whether or not Fournette is healthy.

25 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I mean it depends on the player and the situation. But do you really want our team, that’s predicated on being smash mouth at all levels, going multiple games where they don’t have any smash mouth presence on offense if one player goes down? Our entire team make up and ability to play towards strengths would then hinge on whether or not Fournette is healthy.

Yeah, and we need to go for youth imo. Ivory looked very old and slow most of the time. Don't want to see this be filled through FA.

30 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, and we need to go for youth imo. Ivory looked very old and slow most of the time. Don't want to see this be filled through FA.

I wouldn’t mind if it’s filled through Free Agency tbh.

We’re not really looking for a full time starter capable player, so there’s a market for those types going to be available. Jerick McKinnon, Alfred Blue, Branden Oliver; that talent level. Those specific guys don’t fit the exact role I’m talking about, but the general “give them a spot start, hand them the ball in situational roles” types are pretty plentiful. 

You can get a lot of these types for around an 800k one year contract; and they’re 25-26 years old coming off their first deal or maybe a couple one year deals, so there isn’t enough miles or injuries on them to worry about looking old.

If we can throw a contract at a RB who might be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart, and then use that 6th round pick for depth elsewhere, I’m not against it.

Archived